Author Topic: Any motorcycle riders here?  (Read 3571 times)

Paragon

• friend
Any motorcycle riders here?
« on: July 17, 2009, 10:54:35 AM »
I know I've seen a thread or two about bikes here, and I was curious how many had them?  I just got my first a few weeks ago; a 2006 Yamaha V-Star.  So far, I've put about 400 miles on it.  I still need to work on my turning and low-speed manuevering, but I'm feeling pretty good on it.  So how about it, what do you ride?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Any motorcycle riders here?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 11:03:15 AM »
These days I am down to two motorcycles:

2004 Aprilia Scarabeo 500 maxi scooter that I use for my work commuting and freeway cruising
2008 Suzuki DR650 that I use on the weekends for exploring the Forest Service/fire/logging roads

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 11:15:15 AM »
07 suzuki drz
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 12:02:48 PM »
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 500. It's not a big bike, but it's sufficient to get me and my wife to freeway speeds, and still have a little power left over. My wife and I usually take turns using it for a commuter bike.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 12:10:16 PM »
1990 883 Sportster. I bought it late last summer and have put about 4,000 miles on it since. I bought it as my first bike.

Do a you-tube search for 'motorcycle countersteering' there are quite a few good videos on the subject.

Pick up a copy of David Hough's 'Proficient Motorcycling' it covers a lot of motorcycle dynamics and handling in great detail.

MSF courses will come highly reccommended too. (I personally haven't taken one though).

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Paragon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 12:16:26 PM »
1990 883 Sportster. I bought it late last summer and have put about 4,000 miles on it since. I bought it as my first bike.

Do a you-tube search for 'motorcycle countersteering' there are quite a few good videos on the subject.

Pick up a copy of David Hough's 'Proficient Motorcycling' it covers a lot of motorcycle dynamics and handling in great detail.

MSF courses will come highly reccommended too. (I personally haven't taken one though).

Thanks!  I took the MSF course already...I know a little about how to do what I need to do, it's just a matter of practicing it and getting comfortable with it.  I'll definitely check out Youtube and look for the 'Proficient Motorcycling' when I get home.

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 12:46:30 PM »
Greetings. Current ride is a 2008 H-D Sportster 1200C.

I'm looking to upgrade to a touring bike yet this summer, perhaps a new Road King (not a Classic). The Sportie isn't a great two-up road bike. It's an OK commuter for me but not for the two of us - even though we're not big people (5-9/180 & 5-3/115)

Mrs. B and I took the MSF class last year - well worth the money! And, we took the road test at the end to get the license endorsement.

And yes, that counter-steer is counter-intuitive. Very, very effective but counter-intuitive.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 01:18:38 PM »
1978 H-D FXR Shovelhead (His), and a 1978 H-D XLH1000 Ironhead Sporty (Hers).

I cannot recommend the beginner and intermediate MSF classes enough.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 01:32:43 PM by Gewehr98 »
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 01:35:14 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with Ural Motorcycles?  I love the looks of them, and the sidecar (though seemingly bothersome to most) is, to me, an added feature.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 01:57:51 PM »
PetCareRx.com
I know I've seen a thread or two about bikes here, and I was curious how many had them?  I just got my first a few weeks ago; a 2006 Yamaha V-Star.  So far, I've put about 400 miles on it.  I still need to work on my turning and low-speed manuevering, but I'm feeling pretty good on it.  So how about it, what do you ride?

Is it the 650 or 1100?  I ride an '08 650 V-Star Classic.

I wanted something that wasn't too big while still being highway capable.

Funny thing - my underinsured motorist insurance is more expensive than the liability insurance part for my motorcycle insurance.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 02:18:26 PM »
Funny thing - my underinsured motorist insurance is more expensive than the liability insurance part for my motorcycle insurance.

Because you are much more likely to go kersplat and not cause too much harm to others- liability is low.

Barack Obama

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 02:23:27 PM »
Because you are much more likely to go kersplat and not cause too much harm to others- liability is low.

I'd have thought the uninsured would be higher though.  The underinsured requires somebody to have insurance, just not enough of it, if they kersplat me.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 02:45:56 PM »
Going kersplat means high medical bills- if you live.

Barack Obama

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 04:44:36 PM »
Here's my Suzuki SV1000S:

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Myself

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 04:57:57 PM »
I have a Honda Shadow ACE 1100 that hasn't been out of the garage in two years.  I keep thinking I am going to reactivate it so that should count for something.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2009, 05:27:26 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with Ural Motorcycles?  I love the looks of them, and the sidecar (though seemingly bothersome to most) is, to me, an added feature.

I love the idea of them. The Ural Solo is pretty much exactly my idea of what a classic bike should be as it is a modern production of a classic BMW design. Not sure they are that 'modern' though, and it seems not legal for new sales in Europe as of Jan 08.

That Moto Guzzi V7 Classic is looking more and more appealing. I must learn to ride.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2009, 06:03:09 PM »
Got my first bike in 1966, and totaled it months later.

I put on a lot of miles in the late 1980's through 2003 or so. The last few years I've been unable to do any touring. I hope that changes before I'm too old to ride long distances.

The Urals are interesting. The owners I've spoken to like them because, while they're almost antiques in terms of design, they're very affordable and sturdy. They also attract a lot of attention.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2009, 06:05:57 PM »
I was thinking if I got one, I'd get it repainted in WWII Wehrmacht colors but ride it around in a USGI uniform.  =)  Whole "spoils of war" approach.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2009, 06:40:35 PM »
I have seen a number of Urals, some with the sidecar, tooling about up here.  I think that is because the importer is now based in Redmond about 15 miles south of me.  They look pretty darn cool, and I am told that since they are a Russian copy of a 1930's BMW design, are pretty robust.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2009, 08:46:45 PM »
Sidecar rigs are a whole new ball of wax- I do not know how to drive one, but from the little I understand, as long as the three wheels are on the ground, they steer like a car(no countersteer). And as soon as the car "flies", they revert to countersteering. As in most thing motorcycling, Dave Hough (author of profiecent motorcycling ) seems to be a leading teacher.

The Urals apparently have gotten a whole lot better as the Russians have learned to keep up with western demands for reliability.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2009, 11:06:53 PM »
'02 Harley Road King

This was taken last fall in Southwest Oklahoma.

As far as side car rigs go they are for sure a different kind of animal more like a lopsided tricycle than a motorcycle.
Dad has 2 of them one on a Hd Sportster 1200 and the other on a Suzuki somthingorother.

I've ridden them enough to know I need to either stay the heck of of iit or get some serious parking lot time in.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2009, 11:11:08 PM »
I was thinking if I got one, I'd get it repainted in WWII Wehrmacht colors but ride it around in a USGI uniform.  =)  Whole "spoils of war" approach.
No M1919/MG42 mounted on the sidecar?  :laugh:

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 11:12:03 PM »
I had a 1982 Honda CB750.  Rode it from 2006-2007.

I'm keeping my eye out for the right bike at the right price.  :cool:

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2009, 11:47:34 PM »
No M1919/MG42 mounted on the sidecar?  :laugh:
If I can find a dummy MG42 for a price less than 10% of the bike, then sure--but I'm not certain how it would be viewed by every single LEO, or dimwit calling the police, that sees it.  =|
"And are you?"
-Douglas Adams

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2009, 11:48:48 PM »
If I can find a dummy MG42 for a price less than 10% of the bike, then sure--but I'm not certain how it would be viewed by every single LEO, or dimwit calling the police, that sees it.  =|
C'mon, live dangerously.  :lol: