Author Topic: Any machinists/HSM's around?  (Read 2341 times)

TMM

• friend
Any machinists/HSM's around?
« on: October 22, 2009, 04:16:30 PM »
Hey all...

i've been getting into metal milling/lathing etc... i have a machine shop class i'm taking (i'm majoring in mechanical engineering in college) that is giving me some fundamentals in machining, and i'd love to tinker more. i was kicking around the idea of getting a cross-slide vise like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-G1064-Cross-Sliding-Vise/dp/B0000DD0C7/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1256241567&sr=1-10

or this:

http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-D2731-4-Inch-Sliding/dp/B0000DD1S8/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1256241830&sr=1-25

for my drill press so i can tinker in my workshop at home. yea, i know, a real milling machine would be great, but i don't have the money or space for a real milling machine (yet!). my drill press is a 500-3100rpm infinitely variable speed benchtop Delta. i also have an unassembled Craftsman of some sort but i think it's single-speed or stepped-pulley(haven't even taken it out of the box yet).

anyway. i'd like some input/opinions etc. on my idea and vise selections. i'd like a vise with a decent measurement gradients (doubt my tolerances will need to be very fine, but in an ideal world it would be marked every 0.010" or so. i'm a perfectionist.), preferrably $100 or less (any more and i might as well buy a small milling machine from harbor freight).

what say you?

thanks

TMM

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Any machinists/HSM's around?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 04:19:31 PM »
what say you?

Drill press bearings aren't designed to handle side loads.  You'll very quickly damage the spindle bearings by trying to mill using a drill press.  :|

Harbor freight has some mills in the 3-400 dollar price range which would be infinity better suited for the purpose.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 04:22:50 PM »
Nick beat me to the punch.

A drill press is not a mill, not by a long shot.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

TMM

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 07:57:00 PM »
ah, yea, i feared that. i don't suppose it's at all feasable to replace the bearings?

3-400 isn't too bad for a small mill, at all, but i'd rather spend $75 than $400, and have space in my already small shop.

tmm

zahc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 08:37:22 PM »
It's not just that you'll wear the bearings. They just aren't designed for milling and if you try there will be so much flex and tool grab that it will suck and possibly be dangerous anyway.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 08:42:09 PM »
ah, yea, i feared that. i don't suppose it's at all feasable to replace the bearings?

I wouldn't.  The rest of the structure has a lot of flex in it too.  Who knows if the castings will take that abuse, or just crack.  With a cracked casting, that endmill might end up milling flesh and bone instead of metal!

These are known to be passable for limited space light duty work:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47158
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44991

3-400 isn't too bad for a small mill, at all, but i'd rather spend $75 than $400, and have space in my already small shop.

Question:

How big of work are you planning on working with?
And of what materials?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 08:47:06 PM »
TMM- you need to haunt estate sales/auctions and the like. We've gotten all sorts of stuff for a fraction of what new would cost (or brought stuff that simply isn't available these days).

Go forth and find!

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

TMM

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 09:30:53 PM »
ah, figured it was too good to be true.

I'm in no rush to get one, i'm sure i'll find one at some point - i'm not a fan of buying new.

nick1911: i wasn't planning anything much larger than, say, 6-10 inches, out of steel, brass, aluminum, maybe wood.

thanks for the advice,

tmm

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 11:27:53 PM »
On top of the other problems already mentioned you might find your 500 RPM min spindle speed a little surprising on some metals.

It will work in a pinch. As it will work as a mini lathe if you hold the bit in the vise and move it in slowly. But I've never tried it. ;/

If your every in the area let me know. I'll give you a vise. I have three for some reason.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 11:19:40 AM »
Craig's List has some amazing bargains.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

TMM

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 12:57:27 PM »

If your every in the area let me know. I'll give you a vise. I have three for some reason.

jim

thanks much for the offer! what area are you in, though? i couldn't find it myself.

balrog, craigslist is a good idea... i'll check now.

tmm

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 02:29:00 PM »
I'm about an hour south of Kansas City.

One of these days I'll go in and fill out my profile.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

TMM

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 04:07:22 PM »
ah, kansas city is just a few miles too far away from connecticut....

i might be interested in buying one from you depending on the price, though. shipping could be interesting for a 20 pound piece of cast iron...

looked at craigslist... found a bunch of b'ports for good prices... too bad i don't have the time or ability to transport it, or the money and space...

tmm