Author Topic: Any GPS gurus here?  (Read 992 times)

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Any GPS gurus here?
« on: February 13, 2010, 12:21:10 PM »
I recently bought a etrex hcx to use while snowmobiling. Got a set of trail overlays for NY but found out the installed maps on the etrex suck, Not enough roads.
So I downloaded the Garmin City Navigator 2010.30 USA Mexico Canada.
How do I combine the two? Apparently you can only have on map on the card with a certain name.
Any Ideas?
I'm about ready to heave this thing against the wall.

The trail map program is supposed to be loaded using mapsource which makes the gmapsupp.img file on the card.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Re: Any GPS gurus here?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 11:42:54 AM »
Bueler, Bueler, Bueler, Gewehr98?
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
A few months-mods

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 12:05:36 PM »
Never_Retreat, I'd love to help you, but...

My personal GPS mounted on my truck's dash is an ancient Magellan.  No maps or downloadable updates, just position, altitude, distance, and speed in a monochrome LCD display.

I left the world of "nice" GPS units when I retired from the B-52/WC-135 world.   The prettiest thing I have now is the fake "GPS" system in my Sprint cellphone, and that just triangulates between cell towers.  Nice feature, but kinda iffy in places with minimal cell coverage.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 12:09:06 PM »
Ask on the geocaching forums.  There is no denser concentration of GPS enthusiasts anywhere on the net.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 12:19:37 PM »
Thanks I didn't think of the geo caching sites, I'll have to look one up. I tried this GPS underground site which looks like it attacks all the GPS hackers and such, but got no responses.
That shocks me gewehr, I figured you would be the guy with the hacked up GPS here.
A few months-mods

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 12:29:32 PM »
It's not for lack of trying.   My ancient Magellan along with my USAF Survival School mountaineering training keep me safe in the deer and snowmobiling woods so far.  I'd love a new Garmin or Tom-Tom one of these days, but it'll have to wait until after I buy the Toyota FJ-Cruiser to mount onto that GPS. (Papa got the go-ahead to replace his trusty old S-10 with a new toy...)  =D

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 01:05:45 PM »
I have TomToms for the cars and a bunch of eTrex and Magellan handheld GPS units for the hiking, snowshoeing and bicycling.  For all of my units, I can have only one map active at a time.  I can load several maps on the Magellan units on a SD card and switch between them.  I have created some maps in TOPO with trails and then downloaded them onto the Magellans.  I suspect that you cannot combine your maps without using some sort of mapping software and then downloading it onto the Garmin. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 04:46:47 PM »
Compass
Map
2 eyes
Brain

;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 05:00:10 PM »
this link might be helpful :angel:

and Gewehr98, just so you know if you pickup a garmin. be sure to check the touchscreen out good when you get it, i bought a 765 and had to send it back. it was just random in where it registered clicks on the screen. :facepalm: went with the 760 not as nice, but at least it does what i tell it to. [tinfoil]

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 07:17:36 PM »
I've got a Vista CX. Only have the detailed street maps loaded on mine. Probably the easiest way to have both map sets is to buy two cards, and then swap them out as appropriate. There may be a better way, but I don't know about it.

Gewehr - We're going to have to start an APS/FJ club.=D Start another thread and tell us all about it.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 08:49:43 PM »
When I buy it.  I want either Sun Fusion or Voodoo Blue, and the 6-speed manual tops my list - but it requires full-time 4wd, so there goes some fuel economy.

I'm also holding off for a little while until Toyota figures out just how many of their vehicles need throttle modifications.   ;)