Author Topic: Any Homebrewers?  (Read 2037 times)

jeepmor

• friend
Any Homebrewers?
« on: September 17, 2007, 04:17:52 AM »
Someone mentioned beer and it got me thinking.  I haven't homebrewed in two months....  I'm an extract homebrewer.  I don't see the need to go to all grain simply because it takes more time, more equipment, and doesn't yield markedly better beer IMO.  However, if I was making a living at it, all grain is much, much cheaper to produce en masse.

That said, any favorite recipes out there?  I'm an IPA and Pale ale man myself, and living in Portland, Oregon, I can say I've been drinking microbrews almost exclusively for over 10+ years now.  Not to be a beer snob...but, okay, I'm a beersnob. cool  Most of the stuff out of Milwaukie is affectionately referred to as panther piss in my area.  Don't get me wrong, there's still of ton of this crap sold in this area, but something like 68% of the money spent on beer in this area goes to the microbrewers.

One of my favorite recipes is this one.  If you like hoppy beers, you'll like this one.  If you ever visited a McMenamin's in the PNW, this is a close cousin to Hammerhead Pale Ale.

12 oz English Crystal Malt
7lbs Light Malt Extract

Steep grains in cheesecloth bag in about 2 gallons of cold water and heat until it reaches 180-190F. Stir and work grain sock well to insure good malt flavoring, once temp achieved, remove sock of  grain.  Pour in extract, bring to boil, remove from heat repeatedly to keep the frothy foam from making one great big sticky mess on your stove.  Once it settles down and just boils, start a 1 hour timer and add your hops.

Hop schedule (60 minute boil)
1/2 oz Columbus Hops (60min left)
1/2 oz Cascade Hops (30min left)
1/4 oz Columbus Hops (10min left)
1/4 oz Cascade Hops (5min left)

Pour hot Wort into your bucket that has some ice and cold tap water (or distilled) in the bucket.  You don't want to melt your bucket's bottom.  Strain out your hops and top off your bucket with cold water to a full 5 gallons.    I pour this water through the hops to remove more of the residual sugar out of them and keep the risk of contamination lower.  Fermenter buckets are 6 gallon food grade poly types.  This leaves about 2" for the foam to form at the top.  Do not overfill or it'll make a mess while fermenting. Hops are a good antiseptic for your beer, they keep bacteria at bay and also provide that bitter flavor.  Whip up your wort to aerate it by using a large santized spoon or similar.  Some go so far as using an airstone and aquarium pump to aerate.  Should be 65-75 degrees Fahrenheit when done.  If much above this, put a lid on it and let it cool or else it could kill your yeast.

Wyeast or White Labs liquid yeast.
This recipe, I like two or three different strains, so I'll mention more than one.  However, you only pitch one kind, not mulitples.  You can use dry yeasts, and they work fine, but liquid yeasts usually provide a little better flavor.  I always keep a dry yeast pack on hand in case my fermentation does not start within 24 hours, I can get it going with dry yeast as an emergency measure.  Only had to do this once.

British Ale yeast - dry british ale, pretty traditional style
London Ale yeast - british ale style with a little more malty finish
California Ale yeast - another good middle of the road ale yeast.
Edinburg - maltier finish IIRC, don't use it much

Put the air trap on it, set it someplace tepid.  I'm in the PNW, 65 degrees F is normal in my beer spot in my house pretty much year round with the exception of the hot summer months.

About a week later (60s bubble interval), transfer to carboy.
Leave in carboy until clear or bubbles reach 90s intervals.

Now, ready to bottle.

Add 1 cup corn sugar to a pint of water and boil.  This sanitizes the sugar.
Pour into a sanitized plastic fermenter bucket and rack (siphon) your beer in.
This gives the yeast a little more sugar to carbonate your beer in your bottles.

Fill up your bottles leaving about 1" of airspace between the beer and the cap.  Wait about a two weeks, keeping the beer in about the same temperature realm as it fermented.  And then chill, pop, and....relax, have a homebrew.  If it's not carbonated enough, you'll need to wait a few more days for it to completely carbonate.  If it has not fully carbonated by 1 month, something went wrong, probably a sanitation issue, or you did not mix in the sugar enough.

Sanitation is key, beyond that, it's like making a Betty Crocker cake.  If you can follow a recipe, you can make your own beer.  I went into procedural detail for those that have never done it.  I can usually just write the recipe down in a few lines and go from there because no matter what you brew, the process is effectively the same every time.  The variation comes in the ingredients and the timing of when you add them, not much more than that.  I've brewed over 100 batches in the past 10 years or so and found it to be a pretty satisfying hobby.  You'll save money, but you'll probably drink more beer too, so no promises.

It can be a lot like reloading firearms.  You start out thinking it's for economy, then you end up shooting a lot more...because you can.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.

"Oh, so now you're saying they don't have a right to whine about their First Amendment rights?  Fascist."  -fistul

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Any Homebrewers?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 04:40:55 AM »
Once I get moved into the McMansion I'm thinking about trying it.  I worked with a bunch of brewers at my old job, and some of that stuff was pure gold. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 04:52:32 AM »
I tried it way back when.

I stored my bottles in a cooler in a closet. One night I heard "pop, pop, pop, pop", the bottles were blowing their tops off.

I did try a couple of the surviving bottles, it was awful.

I worked with a bunch of brewers at my old job, and some of that stuff was pure gold.

There was one at my old job as well. He made a great oatmeal stout and IPA. Great stuff. (Come to think of it, I liked everything he made.)
Maybe I'll try it again someday.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 05:02:48 AM »
I am into homebrewing also.  However, right now it is a little difficult to do.  But once I return home that is going to be one of the things done within the first week.

I am a dark beer fan myself.

There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 05:27:30 AM »
I have been an extract/grain homebrewer for about 15 years now.  I enjoy stouts, porters and IPAs.  One of my recipes was published in a 'best homebrew recipes' book.  It is for Trolleyman Ale, a recreation of the classic Redhook ESB from many years ago.  The current Redhook ESB is much different from the recipe used back in the early 90's, and to my mind, the current recipe is not nearly as good.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 05:34:36 AM »
I tried it for a while and even got some decent batches out of it, but it was too much trouble considering how little I drink.  It didn't help that I was living in apartments at the time.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 06:29:34 AM »
Same as Mtnbkr. Yeah, it was OK, but it ended up costing me about $100 a bottle.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Paddy

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 06:32:43 AM »
I've never been to one, but I understand there are microbreweries where you can design your own beer.  They'll make it, bottle it, and label it for you.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 06:38:21 AM »
There are a few of those around here.  In fact, my mountain bike club, which has many homebrewing members, got a group together to do a "club brew" once. 

With all the gourmet shops and microbreweries in this area, it's not worth the effort to brew my own.  I've barely tapped (no pun intended) the local market.

Chris

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 07:13:37 AM »
My favorites that the boyz back in utah were brewing up were a Hefe and a Cream ale.  The cream was so smooth you could drink it like water, but it had amazing texture, smell and taste. 
If'n I were to do it, I'd go straight to kegs.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 07:21:12 AM »
I used to brew scotch ales and amber to dark wheat beers. I have all the equipment I just need to brew a batch. I never did have a bad batch of beer from bacteria problems, but I did have a few that were less than stellar on taste. I haven't tried to brew anything since I go married and I'm not sure how my wife would take the grain smell when I'm cooking the wort. She throw a pretty big fit when I'm cooking large batches of salsa for canning and hates it when I bring in meat from the smoker, mostly the smell is her complaint.

Remember cleanliness is godliness when brewing beer.

-C

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

atomd

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 07:40:48 AM »
I am a former homebrewer. The reason I say former is that I worked as a brewer (for a microbrewery) and that sort of  killed my urge to homebrew since I was doing it all day long anyways. When something that's fun as a hobby becomes a job, it loses it's fun a bit. I'm still a big beer fan and I'm still involved in the scene...but now I'm more of a spectator. I'd recommend using extracts just until you get the hang of it and then go all grain. Extracts work but in the end your beer will be much better once you go all grain. It's cheaper too. Also, if you live near a microbrewery, go make a visit with a sanitized container and ask them nicely for some yeast slurry (try to get one from a lighter colored lower gravity ale if possible). Then buy something from them since they usually need the money  grin. If they are nice they will give you some yeast for free and it will be ready to rock. I second the kegs. Bottling is a pain and kegging your own isn't difficult or really expensive at all.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 07:53:43 AM »
jeepmor, i'm just getting into it myself, one of my coworkers and I went to "Let's Brew" on SE 82nd & Stark here in P-town.  great shop for the beginner and expert alike.  I'm about halfway through a 5 gallon batch of a Fat Tire clone....   The first case came out great, but the second case seems to be over-carbonated.  I open it and it sits there and foams for about 5 minutes, then I get about half a bottle of beer left....  Any ideas what might cause that?
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2007, 08:08:26 AM »
AD:

Is it possible you didn't thoroughly mix your priming sugar before bottling, so the second case (if bottled last) had more bang?

I'll start brewing again once I'm set up to keg. I'm tired of bottling hassles. I enjoy making beer styles that aren't easily commercially available, like a Dragon Stout clone. I also find the "I made this myself" satisfaction balances the time & cost. MIni-mash recipes are a nice compromise between the ease of extracts and all-grain.

SADShooter
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 09:35:42 AM »
How the heck do you get it in the keg? I've got a tapper in The Bunker and can't for the life of me figure out how they're filled, except through the dealie with the ball in it...

Blog under construction

atomd

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2007, 09:57:29 AM »
Bogie, the easiest way is to get some old cornelius kegs. Pepsi used to use them and you can find them all over for $10-$25 or so each. The top opens easily for cleaning/filling and you just need some adapters to convert from a standard sanke setup to a cornelius setup. Gently rack your homebrew into one, carb it up, then drink, clean, and repeat.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2007, 10:10:59 AM »
Bogie, the easiest way is to get some old cornelius kegs. Pepsi used to use them and you can find them all over for $10-$25 or so each. The top opens easily for cleaning/filling and you just need some adapters to convert from a standard sanke setup to a cornelius setup. Gently rack your homebrew into one, carb it up, then drink, clean, and repeat.

what he said, what I did instead of force carburizing the keg I would add some powdered light malt, I think half a cup, then let it set and condition like you would for a bottle.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

jeepmor

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2007, 04:32:16 PM »
I stored my bottles in a cooler in a closet. One night I heard "pop, pop, pop, pop", the bottles were blowing their tops off.

first case came out great, but the second case seems to be over-carbonated.  I open it and it sits there and foams for about 5 minutes, then I get about half a bottle of beer left.... 

Both cases, too much sugar.  Either too much priming sugar used or not mixed thoroughly enough.  Or, the beer was not done fermenting and the sugar from the malt was still present in excess amounts.  I've had one uber high gravity batch do this, what a shame that was.  We drank it anyway, and I regret it, it was awful.

On the cornelius keg angle.  I do have this setup and use it instead of bottling most of the time.  However, since this starting thread got kind of long, I just skipped that part.  It does make life much easier and you get to skip the secondary part and siphon straight into the keg.  Washing one big bottle is much less time consuming than 20-50 smaller bottles depending on their size. 

You then pressurize it to 30 psi, and purge it 3 times via the valve on the top to remove all the oxygen from the air space.  Let is sit for 2 or 3 days at 30psi, then drop to tapping pressure of about 5-10psi, and enjoy.  Tapping pressure is correct when you can pour a pint of beer and only get about a 1/4" of foam.  You don't splash it in the glass either.  Any college student should be able to illustrate how to pour a decent beer.

On the bottling side though, pop top beer bottles like Grolsch are highly recommended.  You can go buy them empty at a homebrew store, or buy them full of beer at the grocery store.  I choose to buy them full since the price is usually about the same whether they're empty or full.  I have enough bottles for nearly two batches that I've amassed over the years.  I recently nudged a coworker into trying it and he has the lion's share of my bottles at the moment since I keg most of the time.

Like most hobbies, it goes in waves.  I'll reallg get into it for a while and brew 3-4 batches in succession, then I won't touch it for months.  It always seems to be better than even most microbrews, but I'm biased since I made it.  It does tend to be smoother though.

jeepmor

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.

"Oh, so now you're saying they don't have a right to whine about their First Amendment rights?  Fascist."  -fistul

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2007, 06:14:23 PM »
My brother and I tried it once.  It was actually very good.  We'll do it again when time permits.

bdutton

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2007, 08:39:52 AM »
Been brewing now for about 5-6 years.  Mostly extracts with grains.  I  like making wine from kits too.  Really easy to do and tastes as good as any commercial wine.

http://www.brewboard.com is a great place to chat up about homebrewing.

My favorite recipe is an Arrogant Bastard clone.  I am currently working on a clone of the Great Lakes Brewing's IPA: Commodore Perry.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2007, 09:39:30 AM »
Haven't done the homebrewing thing yet. 

However, I have a bumper crop of wild grapes on my property, and have considered making a small batch of wine.  They're sour as heck, so I'd have to add a lot of sugar.  I'll just make sure it's not processed sugar. 

I've got a neat store downtown that should be able to set me up with all my supplies:

http://www.wineandhop.com/
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2007, 09:47:05 AM »
Gewehr98,
This might help your wine making attempt.
http://www.thesneeze.com/mt-archives/cat_steve_dont_eat_it.php
Scroll down to Volume 8, Prison Wine.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2007, 09:50:52 AM »
Yup.  I've had that site bookmarked ever since a friend sent it to me a while ago.  As a graduate of combat survival, I've eaten worse (grasshoppers, garter snakes, cattail roots, swamp water, etc) and lived to tell about it. 

I just want to make a small batch of something like a Merlot, hence my dabbling in it.  I did the Apple Jack thing in high school, so that's about as close to prison wine as I'm willing to go.

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2007, 12:29:09 PM »
Got 5 gal of grape juice merrily bubbling away as we speak. Glad the neighbors grapes did well, maybe some pears soon.

Remember Dad and Uncle's qt bottles of homebrew blowing up in the basement when I was a kid!!

Might have to try that.

Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2007, 05:48:52 PM »
I'd like to try the homebrew thing, but...

1.) I have enough hobbies already.
2.) I love good beer, and I'd likely end up a drunk.  Runs in the family.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.