Author Topic: Anarchy in Detroit  (Read 5903 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Anarchy in Detroit
« on: July 16, 2013, 01:07:20 PM »
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Anarchy in Detroit
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 01:17:40 PM »
All those services ought to have been contracted out in any case.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 01:33:29 PM »
Kudo's to the guy for starting the bus company (Seriously, it takes 3 hours for a 45 min commute to the airport!?!?!?)  Yet he still doesn't get it that .gov IS the problem.

And if light rail were a "solution", private companies would be lined up to create one. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 01:35:28 PM »
Note that this is anarchy.

People finding their own way to take care of themselves, rather than compelled to allow others to do it.

And it works.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 03:04:39 PM »
How is it anarchy? The governments still in place, right? There's still a police force, right? Smaller govt is not anarchy, and Maggie Thatcher was no anarchist.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 04:37:46 PM »
How is it anarchy? The governments still in place, right? There's still a police force, right? Smaller govt is not anarchy, and Maggie Thatcher was no anarchist.

The govt is doing less and less and citizens are starting to make up the difference.

It's "anarchy" in the areas that the govt has abandoned.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 04:41:42 PM »
Note that this is anarchy.

People finding their own way to take care of themselves, rather than compelled to allow others to do it.

And it works.

Meh, more like ordinary civil society unimpeded by gov't interference to the extent that private, civil options become viable.

We have become so encumbered by gov't that we see a absence in one small place and think "ANARCHY!!!!!11eleventy."  Or we think "anarchy <hugznkisses>."

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 06:54:03 PM »
The govt is doing less and less and citizens are starting to make up the difference.

It's "anarchy" in the areas that the govt has abandoned.

OK, so it's not anarchy, and doesn't show that anarchy works. Thanks.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 07:16:31 PM »

It's anarchy in that while the government might still be in place, the people are not using it. It's basically not there.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 07:29:49 PM »
It's anarchy in that while the government might still be in place, the people are not using it. It's basically not there.

:facepalm:

So if the .gov doesn't do absolutely everything for everyone it's anarchy?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 07:32:19 PM »
:facepalm:

So if the .gov doesn't do absolutely everything for everyone it's anarchy?

No.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 07:46:36 PM »
I thought anarchy was the absence of government (as we know it), or the absence of coercion. No laws. No police. Everything done by consent and contract, all that sort of thing.

If you're saying that this stuff demonstrates the power of the market or of civil society to meet people's needs, fine. But how can it tell us anything about anarchy when laws and codes and taxes are still enforced by police and courts?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 08:07:56 PM »
Apparently large areas of Detroit have no police so effectively no laws.

Which is why the article states some citizens are forming their own patrols.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 08:25:38 PM »
In Grand Rapids last week, two citizens waded out into the Grand River with buckets.  They bailed out a very large trash dumpster that had floated down the Grand into downtown GR from a park upstream during our spring flood.  The dumpster weighed about 15,000 lbs with all the water in it.  The city commission and mayor had been debating and wringing their hands about the dumpster cluttering the river for weeks.  The could not come to any conclusion about how to get it out of the river.  Oh..the calamity. But I digress.  

The two citizens bailed out the dumpster by hand with buckets and then it began to float.  They guided it toward shore by hand and the dumpster company that owned it, dragged it up on shore with their cable truck and loaded it up and took it away.

Once again, government proves its ineptitude with the simplest of chores.  Some of the citizens who are laughing at the mayor and the rest of the simpletons on the city commission are saying that if the city had done something it probably would have cost multiple thousands of dollars for police, fire, non uniform union employees and God knows how many trucks, boats, managers etc to do what the two guys did...with buckets.  The humorous estimate was probably about $100,000.00 dollars.  Oh don't forget the DNR/DEQ and the various federalale guardians of the ecology...so add in another couple hundred thousand dollars VS two guys, two buckets and the dumpster pick up guys.  Bwaaaaaahahahahahahahahahaaaa.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 08:28:37 PM »
Apparently large areas of Detroit have no police so effectively no laws.

Which is why the article states some citizens are forming their own patrols.

I've spent a significant amount of time there

The myth is anarchy

The only places with no gov presence are the urban prairies and abandoned areas. And there ain't any people there either
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 01:06:01 AM »

So Detroit seceded from the United States of America and became part of Somalia?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 01:34:30 AM »
I'm happy that government is being shown up for what it is.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2013, 10:44:38 AM »
I've spent a significant amount of time there

The myth is anarchy

The only places with no gov presence are the urban prairies and abandoned areas. And there ain't any people there either

The abandoned sections are not small, and not usually totally abandoned. Problem is, there's too much Detroit for so few folks and it's a downward spiral. Some sections aren't that bad, actually.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 10:48:54 PM »
Detroit seems like it would be a great place to do some urban exploring.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2013, 10:50:48 PM »
Detroit seems like it would be a great place to do some urban exploring.

I did just that for the better part of two days when I was there for 7 weeks

Lots of spooky, completely empty neighborhoods
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2013, 08:47:21 AM »

Briefly did that last time I was out there. Oddly the locals apparently leave a guy in a suit driving a Caddy CTS-V alone [1]. Which is good because I had enough weapons in the car to overthrow a third world country. It definitely had a post-apocalyptic feel to it.

[1] Strings and bedlamite can verify this.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2013, 08:51:06 AM »

Do you have CCW reciprocity?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2013, 08:54:06 AM »

Yes, he does. VA has reciprocity with most states. (I'm puzzled as to why GA and AL hate us, though.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2013, 10:17:07 AM »
Yes, he does. VA has reciprocity with most states. (I'm puzzled as to why GA and AL hate us, though.)

Don't worry, they hate Ohio as well.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2013, 10:22:40 AM »

Yes I do. I was heavily armed, and had a heavily armed friend with me
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog