Author Topic: Giggles must die, you know to protect us, or wildlife...I'm not sure who  (Read 7552 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.

If I'm not mistaken, momma deer leave their fawns alone for longish periods while momma goes a-browsing.  Supposedly the fawns do not have an odor and thus do not attract predators and they just lie there in their spotted camouflage for the time momma is away a-browsing.

Then along comes a well- meaning human, who thinks, "Oh an abandoned baby deer.  Awwwww.  Let's take it home to nurture it and feed it and cuddle it and love it.  Awwwww.  We should name it Giggles."

So then momma deer gets all frantic about her missing fawn when she gets back.  And goes throught the pain of an overloaded nursing bag for a few days.

If you find a fawn in the forest, leave it alone.

They should have left it alone.

I have a hard time with the notion that these well-meaning so-called "animal protection" folks didn't know that.

The euthanization I can't explain, except for the fact that it might be some kind of law.  Wildlife laws and regulations are wierd sometimes.

But if they had left the fawn alone in the first place, the euthanization would not have happened and momma would still have her fawn and still be nursing it.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 08:05:18 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

gunsmith

• friend
yup, I agree.
Either nature or nurture would have taken care of giggles.
should have been left alone, but that didn't happen.

What did happen was unnecessary
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MechAg94

• friend
I've had a fawn get up and start to follow me after I walked by without seeing it.  About 4 or 5 momma does tried to get me to chase them assuming I was a predator.  Two on the right made some noise and ran off.  Then two on the left did the same.  30 seconds later I look behind me and this little fawn has gotten up and looks like it wants to follow me.  I left it alone.  The disobedient little fawn should obey it's momma and stay put. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
About 4 or 5 momma does tried to get me to chase them assuming I was a predator.

Lots of critters will do that, birds especially.  They limp away, feigning a broken wing, and draw the predator off.  Animals are smarter than people think.  They just don't talk.

At least not to us...

...come to think of it, I don't blame them.

Terry

gunsmith

• friend
the story just got moar inneresting, aerial surveillance cited for search warrant! ;/

http://finance.townhall.com/columnists/danieljmitchell/2013/08/05/why-did-bureaucrats-kill-giggles-the-baby-deer-because-they-can-n1656193

someone needs to go grow some weed out there, that agency is bored out of their minds!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Is this the same Wisconsin DNR that steals heritage pigs from farmers in their war on feral swine?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Lots of critters will do that, birds especially.  They limp away, feigning a broken wing, and draw the predator off.  Animals are smarter than people think.  They just don't talk.

Which only proves how smart they are  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Poor Giggles.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

grampster

• friend
I was more distressed that they raided the place with 9 armed DNR and 4 armed sheriff's deputies.  What the hell did they expect to find?  Armed resistance from the Animal Rescue Terrorist Front?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Giggles must die, you know to protect us, or wildlife...I'm not sure who
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 03:37:48 PM »
I was more distressed that they raided the place with 9 armed DNR and 4 armed sheriff's deputies.  What the hell did they expect to find?  Armed resistance from the Animal Rescue Terrorist Front?

That is how I feel too, why couldn't they just make a phone call and send a couple DNR staff members over to retrieve the fawn.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 03:53:43 PM »
my wife found a fawn last week...

with the front bumper of our VW
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 04:10:15 PM »
That is how I feel too, why couldn't they just make a phone call and send a couple DNR staff members over to retrieve the fawn.

This seems to be a change for many DNR departments, and not for the better. Here you see a lot of Fish & Game guys in battle rattle. Given that they often work in pot growing areas, I can understand the concern to be armed, as I as a citizen want to be armed there too. But it seems that armed attitude is flowing out past those specific and legitimate circumstances. Now it seems they treat every poor schmuck with a fishing pole that doesn't know the regulation of the week as if he is a felon.

CA also recently changed their name from Dept of Fish & Game to Dept of Fish & Wildlife, and the new powers that be there, appointed by Jerry Brown, have stated that they are not here to service hunters and fishermen, that they have an "evolving" core constituency (read that environmentalists and their NGOs). Kind of crappy considering most of their operating money comes from hunting and fishing licenses and from oil companies.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 06:22:28 PM »

Because, "“If a sheriff’s department is going in to do a search warrant on a drug bust, they don’t call them and ask them to voluntarily surrender their marijuana or whatever drug that they have before they show up,” the supervisor responded."

Don't you know that this is exactly the same as a drug bust! Officer safety!!1!
 [barf]
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 07:50:49 PM »

'cause then they might not get an excuse to shoot it.
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 10:40:53 PM »
If I was the governor of WI, I would have fired every state employee involved in this ordeal. I would have leaned heavily on county supervisors to do something about the Sheriff's department.

I miss the days when police were peace officers.

Uranus is a gas giant.

æg151337

• Gamera Public Relations Slave
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2013, 11:18:28 PM »
I can only imagine how the briefing went before the raid... [ar15]
Gamera! Gamera!
Gamera is really neat!
Gamera is filled with meat!
We've been eating GA-MER-AAAA!!!!!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2013, 11:40:04 PM »
I can only imagine how the briefing went before the raid... [ar15]

Something like this:
http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/149670/rules-of-hunting

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2013, 12:49:02 AM »
This seems to be a change for many DNR departments, and not for the better. Here you see a lot of Fish & Game guys in battle rattle. Given that they often work in pot growing areas, I can understand the concern to be armed, as I as a citizen want to be armed there too. But it seems that armed attitude is flowing out past those specific and legitimate circumstances. Now it seems they treat every poor schmuck with a fishing pole that doesn't know the regulation of the week as if he is a felon.

CA also recently changed their name from Dept of Fish & Game to Dept of Fish & Wildlife, and the new powers that be there, appointed by Jerry Brown, have stated that they are not here to service hunters and fishermen, that they have an "evolving" core constituency (read that environmentalists and their NGOs). Kind of crappy considering most of their operating money comes from hunting and fishing licenses and from oil companies.

yeah, I recall a year or so ago there was a frenzy over the head of fish/game hunting Mtn lions ( legally ) in Colorado or someplace.
People wanted him dead for that.
CA hunters need to completely boycott CA - lets see how bigbro gets by without their cash.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2013, 10:18:26 AM »
my wife found a fawn last week...

with the front bumper of our VW

That's another problem with the wildlife laws.  In many states, the only person who can despatch an injured wild animal in pain (as in hitting a deer or whatever with your car), is a qualified Peace Officer.  Obviously, this is to prevent "poaching" and using the excuse that "I hit the deer and knew I had to put it out of its misery."

I don't know about you, but I know some people would rather despatch a deer hurting with four bumper fractures than let it just suffer until an LEO arrives.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 10:28:48 AM by 230RN »

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2013, 10:18:03 AM »
home raised game animals could be a vector for CWD back into the wild population
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2013, 01:29:10 PM »
I miss the days when police were peace officers.

Quotable quote from charby.

Terry, 230RN

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2013, 01:34:50 PM »
home raised game animals could be a vector for CWD back into the wild population

That is what already happened in WI.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2013, 07:37:01 PM »
I can see putting it down due to potential CWD issues. I don't see the need to show up with the SWAt team.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2013, 07:40:47 PM »
I can see putting it down due to potential CWD issues. I don't see the need to show up with the SWAt team.

agreed

Uranus is a gas giant.