Author Topic: The home buying gauntlet  (Read 4112 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
The home buying gauntlet
« on: May 02, 2010, 12:25:44 AM »
My wife and I are in a motel in Indianapolis tonight, on our way to close on our new home in Alabama on Monday. We recounted all of the obstacles that have been thrown up in the selling/buying process this time, and it's been quite unlike anything we've experienced before.

The first obstacle was my accountant, who had made all sorts of mistakes on my business tax return, mistakes that would prevent us from being approved. He refused to amend the return, so I had to do it myself, and my amendments angered him, and he threatened me with all sorts of retaliation. I also had to find a different lender who would use different factors in determining eligibility so as to remove the accountant from the picture.

Next was the home sale. Well, not the home sale itself, but the time line. The buyers wanted to close in six weeks on May 1st, leaving us little time to buy a home in AL and get things lined up.

We rushed down to AL, looked at homes for three days, put in an offer, it was accepted, and we booked interstate movers to come on April 30th.

The inspection of our home went perfectly, so the buyers had to search for some nitpicky stuff to have fixed, which meant more money and time.

On April 21st, the buyers realized that May 1st was a Saturday, so they wanted the closing moved up to April 30th. I told my realtor that my wife and I were fine with that, but that we had the movers coming that  day. Without consulting me, the realtor then told the buyers that our movers would take 2-3 hours.

Two days before our closing, I got a call from the mortgage broker in AL. They were doing a last-minute verification of employment on me for our May 3rd closing, and had called my ex-accountant, who hung up on them. It looked at that point like we wouldn't be able to get the mortgage on the new home. Fortunately the broker was able to get information about my company from the state of Wisconsin.

Because the movers were coming on the 30th, my wife and I pre-signed for the closing on our sale on the 29th. The title insurance company had made mistakes totalling a few thousand dollars on the settlement form. Those still have to be resolved. My realtor is also saying that he's owed 1% more than what he was paid.

Our movers arrived at 8:30 am. Our buyers movers arrived about noon, as my realtor didn't tell the buyers that our movers would require the entire day, which is what I'd told him to pass along. He didn't want to rock the boat and risk losing the sale. Instead we had the movers fighting with each other, and the father of the buyer yelling at everyone, even our neighbors. I wanted to tell him that his son was an idiot to not look at the calendar to see what day of the week May 1st was, but discretion seemed the better route.

During this span of six weeks, my 92 year-old mother has been constantly calling and crying and saying that she wishes she'd died with my dad two years ago so she wouldn't have to go through seeing me move. Thanks for helping with the stress, Mom.

The movers were supposed to get our things to the house in AL on May 3rd, but that changed on Friday. Now they're arriving on May 6th, so we have to stay in motels for five nights instead of two.

Which brings us to tonight. We're supposed to be in AL on Monday morning to close, but I see that AR, MS, KY, TN, AL, and IN are having tornados and flooded roads. We may not make it to the closing.

I think I'm going to relax by sleeping in the center lane on the interstate.

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: The home buying gauntlet
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 12:38:47 AM »
Wow.   =|

I can't really say I've been there, but I can suggest taking a deep breath, and realize that you will get through this.   =)

It sounds increasingly stressful, but it's drawing to a close.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 01:16:01 AM »
I'm glad we can be a constant for you here at APS.

I don't know what to say for your mother, but you and I have known each other in some capacity for over 10 years, when I first contacted you with questions/opinions on CCW here in Wisconsin. And for most of that time we've lived exactly 2.875 miles apart.

And with APS, it does not make any difference as to how much we are "around".

=)
I promise not to duck.

BMacklem

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 04:05:03 AM »
Well Dick, if it helps any, Alex is taking quite well to living with us.

She's actually starting to try and talk...i.e. "hello" and Jen has Alex doing a little trick when she's laughing, Alex is trying to copy her voice, it's hilarious.

So at least that's one worry off your mind I hope.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 04:14:36 AM »
Well, yeah, but other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

;)
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 08:35:55 AM »
I'm always very careful to cushion the time needed to get anything done when it comes to moving.
If it makes you feel better, we sold our house.  We told the new owner, via the realtor, that we'd like to rent back 2 weeks after closing.  They came back and said sure (actually I think it was thier realtor), $100 a day and $1000 deposit.  $1000 deposit for 14 days?  And the typical rent back rate is between $50-$75 a day.  We got them to capitulate down to $75 a day and a measley $500 deposit.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 09:47:36 AM »
If it makes you feel any better:
By closing on April 30, their first mortgage payment will be due June 1.
Had they stuck with closing May 1, their first payment would be due July 1.

So, on June 1, when all this mess is long behind you, you've moved in and are entirely relaxed, and you still have a full month before your first payment, think about those jerks who bought your house

-- Bought a house and accidentally closed on Feb 29
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 11:45:20 AM »
Wow, tough time line.

Good luck, hope you make it to closing and the level of bs lowers.

wuluf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 03:52:53 PM »
You can always look back on this experience and think:" Wow, we got through that, we can do anything!"  Moving/ selling a home are up there on the stress meter for sure.....

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 04:07:20 PM »
Because the movers were coming on the 30th, my wife and I pre-signed for the closing on our sale on the 29th. The title insurance company had made mistakes totalling a few thousand dollars on the settlement form. Those still have to be resolved. My realtor is also saying that he's owed 1% more than what he was paid.

Did the title company screw up the percent commission on the closing statmen or is he insisting on more than the stated commission in the listing agreement?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 05:35:59 PM »
The realtor said that the title company screwed up on the commission rate. I want to see the HUD 1 form before doing anything.

We didn't encounter any tornados, but there was a lot of flooding in Nashville. I was expecting to have our realtor here call to say that our new home had been flooded, but it's only rained a little here in AL.

I'm glad I don't have one of those jobs that requires moving every couple of years.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 05:54:00 PM »
Oh, insult to injury:
On the way down, while towing the boat, the wife calls me.  Bank called her, someone is trying to use my debit card to purchase various sundry items.  Bank caught it.  But, my debit card had to be cancelled and I had to order a new one.  I was going to use straight cash for all my food on the trip, instead I had to whip out the CC.  Now I've got to total up all the reciepts and send the CC company an extra payment.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 11:27:16 AM »
Once you realize realitors LIE, all the rest falls into place......I hope things are better for you from this point on.....chris3

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 12:57:14 AM »
Once you realize realitors LIE, all the rest falls into place......I hope things are better for you from this point on.....chris3

Kinda hard to lie about this.  The listing commission is plainly stated on the listing agreement.  The paid commission is plainly stated on the HUD-1 which is a required document.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 09:11:51 AM »
Some realtors lie, but not all.  I've had some really good ones.
JD

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2010, 10:52:46 AM »
Some realtors lie, but not all.  I've had some really good ones.

;)

You might think realtors are bad, but then try dealing with a psychotic seller without one  :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2010, 11:03:04 AM »
The realtor we hired as a buyer's agent down here was 110% professional. I'd recommend him to anyone. He covered every detail, and went far and beyond my expectations.

Our closing company in Milwaukee is another story. Not only did they screw up the commission, but they screwed up the taxes. I got an email from them saying that they made a mistake and I need to send them $845.

I've never seen such an incompetent title company before.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2010, 11:56:48 AM »
The realtor we hired as a buyer's agent down here was 110% professional.

A key to protecting yourself in purchasing a house. 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2010, 11:59:31 AM »
Can you tell the title company to go to hell since it is there screw up?

>Only home buying experience I have, the seller worked at a title company and EVERYTHING was handled for me except finding a mortgage broker.  It could not have gone smoother!

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2010, 12:03:34 PM »
;)

You might think realtors are bad, but then try dealing with a psychotic seller without one  :O

Try having said psychotic seller's house listed.

Brad
-HankB

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2010, 12:37:33 PM »
Try having said psychotic seller's house listed.

Brad

Hey, that's why you get the big bucks  :P

And when we finally sold our other house, we accepted an offer 2K below asking with the stipulation that it was "as-is" concerning the items that we had already disclosed (like a bad faucet that we said we would replace at asking price).  The house had been drained, and the buyer wanted a plumbing inspection after we turned the water back on.  Fair enough, because if we screwed up the winterizing then I should fix the damage. 

Then the plumber came back with a list of stuff (can't blame him - he has to report everything as he finds it) including the items we had already disclosed and some diddly "old house" stuff.  So now the buyer wants to take even more money off!  I was about ready to choke him and tell him to stuff his offer, but the realtor calmed me down and actually we split the amount three ways: the realtor took part off of his commission.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2010, 12:42:07 PM »
Even more fun...

Be the listing agent for an attorney's home that's being purchased by an engineer... who's representing himself (didn't trust any of those "SOB realtors" not to screw him).

Brad
-HankB

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2010, 01:38:47 PM »
home that's being purchased by an engineer

The front door is 0.020" out of square!   :O

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2010, 02:20:19 PM »
The realtor said that the title company screwed up on the commission rate. I want to see the HUD 1 form before doing anything.
By all means, check the paperwork. If it's not in writing it doesn't exist. Or count.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2010, 02:23:20 PM »
The front door is 0.020" out of square!   :O

Hey, it would matter if that twenty thousandths gave the door ten thousands of an interference fit!  :laugh: