Author Topic: Officer Investigated for Warning Citizen About Bad Part of Town  (Read 5907 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
From the mayor:

Mayor Bill Foster acknowledged the incident and said he holds SPPD to the highest standard.

"I always want to know my officers are representing this city in a very positive light," Foster said.

So, don't warn a father about a bad area of the city, where the daughter was already robbed, because it makes the city look bad? I think they need some new management down St Pete's way.

http://www.wtsp.com/news/topstories/article/199296/250/Officer-investigated-for-speaking-his-mind-on-St-Pete-crime
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Officer Investigated for Warning Citizen About Bad Part of Town
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 12:31:10 PM »
If the cop can document that the area is dangerous, he will prevail in any ation he wants to take against the city.  Further, he can solicit non-cop citizens to join him in seeking redress from the city's "policy, practice and custom" of refusing to alert citizens to known dangers.

In other words, management has inserted their member in the wringer and seem to be looking for the repeat button.

Wonder how much the tickets to watch tthe show are goning to cost. [popcorn]

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 12:33:01 PM »
I saw an article on this, and I resolved to write a letter to both the idiot mayor and the chief of police.

The mayor's statement sounds like he's demanding that police officers transfer to the Ministry of Disinformation Propaganda.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 02:27:55 PM »
a good warning can save lives
i got outa my cab in charm city to ask a baltimore cabbie for directions.  older black man looked at me in horror. "boy!  what you doing outa your cab?!"  i then noticed the bulletproof glass barrier in his
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 02:32:58 PM »
This is pretty close to my stomping grounds.

The LEO is right.  You don't want to wander around down there at night. Or in the day for that matter. I used to have to drive through that 'hood to get to work, and have had my truck shot at doing so.  That place is a shithole.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 03:26:31 PM »
Protect: fail
Serve: fail.
The citizens need to petition to remove the chief.
Or the mayor.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 04:48:49 PM »
If I had any kind of computer skills, I'd write a smart phone app that displays bad neighborhoods on a map.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 05:08:10 PM »
If I had any kind of computer skills, I'd write a smart phone app that displays bad neighborhoods on a map.

I'd buy that in a heartbeat. The only time I was ever in fear of my life was my first time going to coast guard island in Alameda and taking a wrong turn. I honestly thought I might be carjacked or shot at any minute.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 07:09:21 PM »

Wouldn't it be simpler just to display the good neighborhoods on the map ?   ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 07:40:34 PM »
Wouldn't it be simpler just to display the good neighborhoods on the map ?   ;)

In some towns and cities yes.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

• friends
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 08:10:18 PM »
you can walk 6 blocks from the white house and its not good after midnite  12 blocks? and its not safe for me
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 08:14:42 PM »
If the cop can document that the area is dangerous, he will prevail in any ation he wants to take against the city.  Further, he can solicit non-cop citizens to join him in seeking redress from the city's "policy, practice and custom" of refusing to alert citizens to known dangers.

In other words, management has inserted their member in the wringer and seem to be looking for the repeat button.

Wonder how much the tickets to watch tthe show are goning to cost. [popcorn]

stay safe.

A look through dispatch records will tell everything that needs to be known.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 08:20:47 PM »
you can walk 6 blocks from the white house and its not good after midnite  12 blocks? and its not safe for me

Heh, that's one of the other places where I apparently put my life at risk but didn't know it. It was early in my career, when they had just started making me go to DC and I wasn't familiar with it. I was staying at the Mayflower, and was supposed to meet some colleagues for drinks. I can't even remember where it was anymore, but it seems like somewhere off 11th or 9th or something. I was walking, and took a wrong turn down one of those streets. I saw it was a pretty seedy location, but thought nothing of it.

After I'd reoriented myself and finally got to the bar, they asked what took so long. After I explained my route they looked at me like I was crazy. :)

Oh well, live and learn.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2011, 08:23:03 PM »
I'd buy that in a heartbeat. The only time I was ever in fear of my life was my first time going to coast guard island in Alameda and taking a wrong turn. I honestly thought I might be carjacked or shot at any minute.

I'd buy that.  Also, I was a "avoid city streets in bad neighborhoods" toggle in google maps.

I used to live down there and some parts of St Pete have been dangerous for decades.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2011, 08:39:53 PM »
Heh, that's one of the other places where I apparently put my life at risk but didn't know it. It was early in my career, when they had just started making me go to DC and I wasn't familiar with it. I was staying at the Mayflower, and was supposed to meet some colleagues for drinks. I can't even remember where it was anymore, but it seems like somewhere off 11th or 9th or something. I was walking, and took a wrong turn down one of those streets. I saw it was a pretty seedy location, but thought nothing of it.

After I'd reoriented myself and finally got to the bar, they asked what took so long. After I explained my route they looked at me like I was crazy. :)

Oh well, live and learn.

the mayflower?  nice place!  worked there from 86 -92   lived 2 blocks east one block north  could hang head out window and see the whitehouse

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2011, 08:45:53 PM »

the mayflower?  nice place!  worked there from 86 -92   lived 2 blocks east one block north  could hang head out window and see the whitehouse

I used to get the govt rate there, apparently because not many people thought they would accept it. But then more gov people started staying there and they wised up and removed it. :)

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2011, 08:52:30 PM »
Protect: fail
Serve: fail.
The citizens need to petition to remove the chief.
Or the mayor.
sorry but, that's "and the mayor" brother. =)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2011, 09:00:38 PM »

you very well might have been jacked and shot, that area is freaking dangerous. its why I ccw'd as a motorcycle messenger without a CA ccw.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

• friends
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2011, 09:36:12 PM »
I used to get the govt rate there, apparently because not many people thought they would accept it. But then more gov people started staying there and they wised up and removed it. :)

you can still get a discount but they dropped 300 mill on a renovation so its pricey now.   when congress is outa town i can get the 400 dollar room at 65 bucks

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2011, 10:27:33 PM »
CSD, whose side do you take when a department is investigating an officer?  ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2011, 02:11:43 AM »
you can walk 6 blocks from the white house and its not good after midnite

Considering the current administration, I'm surprised there's such a good area nearby.

Any time a cop tells me about a bad neighborhood, I'm inclined to ask how he'd feel if he visited a plumber's house and was told to pee in the sink because the toilet's acting funny.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2011, 02:22:29 AM »
Any time a cop tells me about a bad neighborhood, I'm inclined to ask how he'd feel if he visited a plumber's house and was told to pee in the sink because the toilet's acting funny.

Yes, because the cop who is trying to keep your ass from getting shot, robbed, or carjacked is supposed to be a one man army against the crime in that hood...especially when he's constantly thrown under the bus by his superiors when he does his job.

There are plenty of neighborhoods where nothing short carpet bombing is going to make it a good neighborhood...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2011, 08:20:52 AM »
The story was updated sometime yesterday:

UPDATE 7/1/11: Foster says Crisco will not be disciplined and SPPD was only looking into the incident because it was brought to their attention.  A statement from SPPD said, "although no action has been taken at this time, Officer Crisco faces - at the most - a Memorandum of Counseling (not a "suspension"), which is considered an informal, instructional document...that would caution him against making comments in the future that are either factually incorrect or could otherwise be misunderstood by the general public."
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2011, 08:46:32 AM »
Avenger, we can't have an officer trying to protect citizens. might set a bad prescient. ;)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2011, 09:34:15 AM »
The story was updated sometime yesterday:

UPDATE 7/1/11: Foster says Crisco will not be disciplined and SPPD was only looking into the incident because it was brought to their attention.  A statement from SPPD said, "although no action has been taken at this time, Officer Crisco faces - at the most - a Memorandum of Counseling (not a "suspension"), which is considered an informal, instructional document...that would caution him against making comments in the future that are either factually incorrect or could otherwise be misunderstood by the general public."

#1, I'm curious as to who "brought it to their attention"? Not that there aren't plenty of politically correct people who would, but who in this chain of events would have?

#2, "Misunderstood by the public"? Uh huh.