Author Topic: I'm becoming disillusioned with Amazon  (Read 1187 times)

fifth_column

• friend
I'm becoming disillusioned with Amazon
« on: November 19, 2015, 01:21:00 PM »
I've been streaming amazon instant video on my blu-ray player for the last year.  Recently I've been getting a "can't access service" message when trying to use amazon.  Netflix, Youtube, and other services work, just not Amazon.  So I contacted amazon and was told my device is no longer on the "compatible hardware list" and that's why it doesn't work.  They even made the statement that they made the change to the instant video app in order to "improve customer satisfaction."  I can't figure out how reducing the number of devices their app works on is going to improve anything, and told them so. 

Anyway, I like their instant video so I figure I'll get a new blu-ray player, even though my current one is a 2014 model.  However, it turns out that the "compatible hardware list" does not include any blu-ray players newer than 2014!  When I asked a customer service rep about a 2015 Sony blu-ray player I was explicitly told it was not compatible! 

WTF Amazon!?!?

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Re: I'm becoming disillusioned with Amazon
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 01:23:14 PM »
do you have a smart TV? if so, you should be able to network and use Amazon with no sweat. If not, i have no idea what to tell you.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 01:23:53 PM »
Probably trying to drive sales of their own devices.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 01:27:30 PM »

That's a definite possibility.  Amazon still works on my 2014 Vizio smart TV.  I need to check my 2014 Blu-ray player in the gym.  It streamed Amazon the last time I used it some months ago.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 01:28:25 PM »
No BluRay players newer than 2014?

That is really, really.... weird.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 01:29:03 PM »
That's a definite possibility.

Ah.... interesting.

They have to pay for Jeremy, James, and Richard, and the new motoring show somehow!

I am going to be righteously pissed if they pull that *expletive deleted*it with my XBox.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 01:30:17 PM »
Ah.... interesting.

They have to pay for Jeremy, James, and Richard, and the new motoring show somehow!

I am going to be righteously pissed if they pull that *expletive deleted*it with my XBox.

Now that you mention it, that makes it more of a possibility.   =D

I need to check my XBox, too.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 01:32:33 PM »
Interesting how torrent sites don't have this problem.  Just sayin'.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 01:34:23 PM »
Do a firmware update on your BR player. See if that helps. My player is supposed to update automatically but never does.

Someone at Amazon definitely has craniorectitis. If they think killing off compatibility with a HUGE section of their viewer base isn't going to rightfully tick off a few folks and lose them a fair chunk of their viewer subscriptions, they're nuts.. They should he expanding compatibility, not limiting it.

If I had Amazon Video and suddenly found the only way to receive programming buy (or more likely lease) their box, I'd give them a big ol' eff yoo and jump right back to any one of the multiple other streaming services which work just fine on third-party platforms.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 01:48:01 PM »
They are killing compatibility with their own older devices as well. My original Kindle Fire is incompatible with Prime Music, and music is one of the main functions of that tablet. I've taken to streaming prime music off an older Android phone, which is actually around the same age as the Kindle, but will accept all the latest Amazon Music updates. The Kindle will not, and displays a "no longer supported" message when I attempt to install the latest version of the music app.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 01:48:35 PM »
Now that you mention it, that makes it more of a possibility.   =D

I need to check my XBox, too.

XBOX works great

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 01:49:30 PM »
They are killing compatibility with their own older devices as well. My original Kindle Fire is incompatible with Prime Music, and music is one of the main functions of that tablet. I've taken to streaming prime music off an older Android phone, which is actually around the same age as the Kindle, but will accept all the latest Amazon Music updates. The Kindle will not, and displays a "no longer supported" message.

The fire is what--3 years old? That's crazy. Spread the word far and wide on that one, amazon deserves to get burned.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2015, 02:31:32 PM »
I've tried updating the firmware, etc.  Amazon has told me they've made changes recently.  I can't imagine my device is the only affected.  It seems underhanded to me that they're pushing their own hardware, and probably charging other manufacturers to get products on the compatibility list.  I don't know if that's the reason for my situation, but I wouldn't be surprised.  And yeah, I'm debating continuing my prime membership.  The problem is that I like amazon better than the others I've tried.  Both for the video content and the application interface.  Maybe I'll just upgrade to a smart TV and be done with it.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2015, 02:50:01 PM »
Wii seems to still be working fine. How old is that now? This specific box is 7 years old and I'm sure the technology is even older.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2015, 02:54:00 PM »
XBOX works great

Heck yeah, I decided to finally get with the times and connect up my XBox 360 to the Internet.  I have had it for a lot of years, it is the old white box no internal storage and no built in wi-fi model.  Slapped some random unused usb hard drive I had laying around on it, put in some powerline networking equipment we had laying around at the office and never used, and bingo..  now  I can stream all kinds of stuff through it to the TV, including Amazon.  Should have done this years ago.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 03:22:59 PM by 41magsnub »

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2015, 07:54:22 PM »

I use a Roku box for all my streaming services. Works fine. Cheap, stable, never had any issues with it.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2015, 08:19:49 PM »
I use a Roku box for all my streaming services. Works fine. Cheap, stable, never had any issues with it.

That's what I use. Simple and stable.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2015, 08:31:20 PM »
No problems with roku or xbox for me either.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2015, 08:34:33 PM »
I got a Fire stick for $19 when it was on sale last October. So far it works fine for all my Amazon streaming needs.

cornerrow

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2015, 09:23:01 PM »

You have a good point there. Same strategy plan with Apple apps and devices.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2015, 10:35:00 PM »

That's incredibly unlikely given Amazon's policy of making everything a service.  Long story short interoperability is very key to their success. Whereas Google makes random niche apps that don't play well with anything else Amazon refuses to do it.  If you build something it WILL play with others in an open manner.

If they have to kill old interop ability to make it "nice" they will.  Sucks for the consumer with the old device but that happens.  I have a smart TV of some kind with Amazon/Hulu/Netflix apps on it and I just assume it will be junk for those purposes in 3-4 years.  I could be wrong though.

My Roku devices have always kept up with progress.  I love them little buggers.  I doubt my Xbox 360 will be end-of-lifed anytime soon, despite being ancient, on account of it being able to process way more than streaming movie data. 

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2015, 11:07:55 PM »
It's mainly just a poor legacy support situation. Amazon is benefitted by every subscription for streaming they can get without having to sell you hardware, which they most likely sell as a loss-leader, unless they're hoping Alexa stations will drive more verbal impulse buys of various items.

I suppose there's monitoring of some sort their newer hardware could do, that legacy devices that are no longer supported can't, however, I fail to see what it would be, since by definition, streaming is an "opt in" activity.
I promise not to duck.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2015, 11:36:41 PM »
I suppose there's monitoring of some sort their newer hardware could do, that legacy devices that are no longer supported can't, however, I fail to see what it would be, since by definition, streaming is an "opt in" activity.

Kinda why I found the dropped support for the older Fire to be weird. I'm not an app expert, but I don't understand why Amazon Music still streams on it, but Prime does not. It doesn't seem like the difference between regular streaming and prime playlist streaming would require such a change that an older Kindle OS can't do it, especially when older generic Android OSs can.

The only reason I can see for it is that they want you to buy the newer hardware, but as you say, those are likely loss leaders. It seems like it would be more profitable for them to let you keep streaming, and buying, music on the older devices.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2015, 11:55:01 PM »
More than enough IT and engineering/technical types in all sorts of fields, and those of other professional fields here to know all about Hanlon's Razor.

I promise not to duck.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2015, 12:04:11 PM »
Now I'm not sure what to think.  Last night Amazon worked on my blu-ray player, after a couple of failed starts.  Amazon video has always been hit or miss, at least on this device.  Their service could certainly be more reliable.  I think AJ is probably right about the poor legacy support.