Author Topic: 300,000 Hopped Up Truck Drivers  (Read 2465 times)

Parker Dean

• friend
Re: 300,000 Hopped Up Truck Drivers
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2019, 11:04:27 PM »
Sorry to snip your post down to a sentence fragment, but that actually surprised me. All I hear in the news is stuff about the trucker shortage and how someone could make really good money. As in, the news makes it sound like salaries are on the increase, but it appears they are not, or on the decline?

No problem. That sort of thing doesn't bother me like it apparently does some people.

The only shortage of drivers are those willing to work for what amounts to lunch money. Freight isn't sitting on the docks because there isn't a truck available and $1/mile loads are still a thing (it takes about $1.75/mile to operate a truck.)

And yes, driver pay has increased considerably since 2013 when I started but it's still not even close to what it was in the 90's let alone '70's or 80's when adjusted for inflation. I only still drive because I'm tied to a location where the only jobs amount to Wal-Mart level stuff. Even then the Wal-Mart jobs are looking better every day. Especially when Safety calls to bitch about some minutia the (driver-facing) DriveCam recorded (We noticed you only allowed 6 flashes of the signal before switching lanes and we believe it should be no less than 7 so we're denying you Safety Bonus this month.  Yes, we know that car cut you off for no reason but you should have expected that and left more room for him to do so, so we're denying...)