Author Topic: Oh what fresh hell is this?  (Read 1009 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Oh what fresh hell is this?
« on: August 24, 2021, 07:54:07 AM »
Starbucks is rolling out a new companion to the Pumpkin Spice Latte...

The Apple Crisp Macchiato...

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/24/starbucks-new-apple-crisp-macchiato-joins-pumpkin-spice-latte-on-the-fall-menu.html

On the surface it SOUNDS good, but I've fallen for that trap before...

Years ago I was with Mtnbkr and his family when we stopped at a bookstore that had a Starbucks in it. He ordered himself a Gingerbread Spice Latte. In a moment of... something... I thought that sounded good and ordered one for myself.

It was the foulest thing I've ever ingested. And I've ingested colonoscopy prep...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Lennyjoe

• friend
Re: Oh what fresh hell is this?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 09:27:33 AM »
Call me old school as I prefer a Dunkin’ Donuts large coffee with 2 cream and sugars…..

Not really into any fu fu coffee stuff.  But I do like apple pie….lol

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 09:35:07 AM »
I believe I saw an add for a Pumpkin Spice Cream Cold Brew this year as well, so you can add that to your gastronomic torture list.

I still drink my coffee black.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2021, 09:38:29 AM »
French Roast straight black
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2021, 10:14:39 AM »
Call me old school as I prefer a Dunkin’ Donuts large coffee with 2 cream and sugars…..

Not really into any fu fu coffee stuff.  But I do like apple pie….lol

I cannot tolerate Dunkin's coffee from the store. It's horrible.

Friend of mine gets the beans. They're marginally better, probably due to his brewing method.

A few years ago Mom and I went to dinner at Hoss', a steakhouse chain (like Ponderosa). They were advertising pumpkin spice iced tea. Almost barfed on the table.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2021, 10:55:46 AM »
I don't like any Starbucks coffee - every time I've tried it, it tasted charred.

Either every Starbucks has the employees using the coffee maker as an ashtray, or the beans are badly over-roasted.   [barf]
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2021, 11:26:54 AM »
I have been forced to grudgingly admit that Starbuck's Komodo Dragon roast is pretty decent.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2021, 11:30:24 AM »
I've always thought Starbucks was just okay (never tried the dragon stuff). I have to admit that one thing I like from there is their iced coffee. There were a few times I was back in CA when it was hot over the last few years visiting my dad, and there was a Starbucks right by his house, so I tried the iced coffee with milk just for the heck of it. It was actually very refreshing and tasted good.

As for pumpkin spice, kill that *expletive deleted*it with fire.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2021, 11:33:04 AM »

As for pumpkin spice, kill that *expletive deleted*it with fire.

But then the air will be filled with the smell of burnt pumpkin spice. Maybe we could pay Musk to shoot all that stuff into the sun? Oh wait, that could be bad, the sun could very well throw up.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2021, 12:17:35 PM »
"I have been forced to grudgingly admit that Starbuck's Komodo Dragon roast is pretty decent."

Obviously because you value my recommendation so very much...  :-*

Komodo is my absolute favorite. I first talked about how good it was here back in 2015, I think.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2021, 12:28:38 PM »
About 1989 when we swore off of Hoss’ steak house. The Mechanicsburg locals held up it up as fine dining. Mmm, meat tenderizer on steaks. Yea.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2021, 01:11:18 PM »
Well, Hoss' WAS fine dining in Lewistown.

At least they had a really good salad bar.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2021, 03:04:03 PM »
I found my perfect drink yesterday at Wawa.

Chocolate Chai latte with a double shot of espresso.

I've never been a fan of pumpkin spice anything.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2021, 03:05:40 PM »
I prefer my coffee taste like coffee and I’ll take my desserts separately thanks.
Mixing them together is an abomination.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2021, 03:07:37 PM »
I prefer my coffee taste like coffee and I’ll take my desserts separately thanks.
Mixing them together is an abomination.

I'm not a huge coffee fan, but I like coffee flavored desserts, so...
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2021, 04:21:14 PM »
Comparing apples to oranges is a mistake. Comparing pumpkin pie to apple crisp is - what is the matter with you people?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2021, 04:37:03 PM »
As a kid, when we went to the A&P grocery store, I always made a bee-line to the coffee grinder in the store as I loved the smell.  Both maternal grandparents drank coffee and grandfather also drank hot tea.  They let me try their coffees on numerous occasions (sweet and sometimes with creamer) but I could never acquire the taste.
I do drink both hot and iced tea with the hot being in multiple flavors.
Fresh brewed still smells great though.
  ;)
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2021, 05:24:52 PM »
I've had a handful of cups of decaf since 2014. Caffeine and my blood numbers lead to my head exploding.

The only pumpkin flavored thing I want comes from a fresh pie pumpkin and might have some whipped cream on my half a piece. I don't do much sweets these days but the little girl is a mean baker.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2021, 09:42:27 PM »
I put the little shot glass thingy in the machine, and hit the button.

I don't kill the first person I see.
Blog under construction

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2021, 12:02:51 AM »
As a kid, when we went to the A&P grocery store, I always made a bee-line to the coffee grinder in the store as I loved the smell.  Both maternal grandparents drank coffee and grandfather also drank hot tea.  They let me try their coffees on numerous occasions (sweet and sometimes with creamer) but I could never acquire the taste.
I do drink both hot and iced tea with the hot being in multiple flavors.
Fresh brewed still smells great though.
  ;)

Forgotten when the grocery stores smelled like this. I loved that too, also an A&P
AKA Navy Joe   

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2021, 03:58:12 AM »
Never liked coffee.  Always preferred tea by a long shot (when I finally got a chance to go to India I made it a priority to visit tea plantations).  SWMBO likes the Sumatra roast from Starbucks.  Seems when I make her morning cup it tastes better than when makes it herself.  Whatevs.  She likes it, and it makes her happy.
Formerly sumpnz

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2021, 07:08:40 AM »
Dad's parents were tea drinkers. Never drank coffee. Dad didn't drink coffee, either, just iced tea (and occasionally hot tea).

Mom's parents were HUGE coffee drinkers. Grandpa was a railroader, so he was able to drink just about anything claiming to be coffee. But, it was from drinking Grandpa's coffee that I developed a taste for Maxwell House & 8'oclock brands. Still like them both.

When I was growing up I didn't like coffee. Mom drank instant. Between the stuff that Grandpa brewed (it was REALLY strong, as in rust removing AND metal removing strong) and Mom's instant, I didn't like coffee.

I went away to college and I think sophomore or junior year I discovered that the coffee urns at school put out some really good coffee. So I started drinking coffee, and quickly got hooked. Also finally got Mom into drinking brewed coffee. She'd still occasionally drink instant, but for the most part, she stuck with brewed coffee for the rest of her life.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2021, 07:14:08 AM »
I grew up drinking 8 o'clock coffee.

Some years ago when I was tightening the budget I ground a pound at the grocery and brought it home. It wasn't terrible but ... no way.

The coffee that is available now is superior to the limited choices we had years ago.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2021, 07:39:56 AM »
Even as a puppy, I used to like a dollop of coffee in my milk.  As  I grew up I became a real coffee hound, as in "coffee ain't coffee less'n you kin chew it," and the spoon had to stand up in the cup all by itself.

Dint never nohow kill nobody accounta that.

As I grew older, I moderated it down and no longer wanted coffee with the viscosity of gear oil.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2021, 08:40:06 AM »
Now it is one cup a day for me. Kind of sad not keeping up naval tradition and all. Everywhere I went in the navy I ended up being the coffee guy, starting with boot camp having a job of making it for the nazis .. errr drill instructors. Stress is making sure 5,000 carrier sailors have coffee ready at 5am. Four 100 cup urns in constant cycle. First customer was usually the Command Master Chief since I worked right outside his office. No pressure whatsoever.
AKA Navy Joe