Author Topic: NASA Chief: Next Frontier Better Relations With Muslim World  (Read 11630 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/07/05/nasa-chief-frontier-better-relations-muslims/

NASA Administrator Charles Bolden said in a recent interview that his "foremost" mission as the head of America's space exploration agency is to improve relations with the Muslim world.

Though international diplomacy would seem well outside NASA's orbit, Bolden said in an interview with Al Jazeera that strengthening those ties was among the top tasks President Obama assigned him. He said better interaction with the Muslim world would ultimately advance space travel.

This is about the most far out in space thing I've heard yet.

Could somebody please wake me up?

Funny, I don't remember eating those mushrooms...  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re: NASA Chief: Next Frontier Better Relations With Muslim World
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 04:13:43 PM »
He said better interaction with the Muslim world would ultimately advance space travel.

Is that because Muslims have better spaceships than everyone else? What an idiot Obama Appointee.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 05:09:23 PM »
Charles Bolden isn't just a political hack.  From his biography on Wikipedia:

Charles Frank "Charlie" Bolden, Jr. (born August 19, 1946 in Columbia, South Carolina, United States) is the current Administrator of NASA, a retired United States Marine Corps major general, and former NASA astronaut.

A 1968 graduate of the United States Naval Academy, he became a Marine Aviator and test pilot. After his service as an astronaut, he became Deputy Commandant of Midshipmen at the Naval Academy. Bolden is the virtual host of the Shuttle Launch Experience attraction at Kennedy Space Center.[1] Bolden also serves on the board of directors for the Military Child Education Coalition.

On May 23, 2009, President Barack Obama announced the nomination of Bolden as NASA Administrator, and Lori Garver as Deputy NASA Administrator.[2] Bolden was confirmed by the Senate on July 15, 2009.[3] He is the first African American to head the agency on a permanent basis.[2]

Perhaps he is speaking out now in order to save NASA by publicizing the priorities Obama has given him.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 05:29:14 PM »
Perhaps a house plant is smarter.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 05:30:23 PM »
So let's see . . . first Obama decides to re-task NASA from space exploration to global warming advocacy, and now he wants to use NASA to improve relations with the Moslem world?!?

I read an article some time ago about some people being SO far out of kilter ". . . they were not even wrong." Like a guy who genuinely and sincerely insists the moon is made out of green cheese.

It's starting to look as if BHO is fitting into that mold . . . he acts as if he's mad as a hatter . . . and that worries me.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 06:40:11 PM »
I think it would be great if NASA received enough government funding to be able to set its own course. Cooperative ventures with other countries, to share the bill, add tremendous delay and complexity.  But I am afraid that sharing the load and bills is a reality today. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
Has somebody seen Pitch Black/Chronicles of Riddick too many times?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 09:37:37 PM »
Charles Bolden isn't just a political hack.  From his biography on Wikipedia:

Charles Frank "Charlie" Bolden, Jr. (born August 19, 1946 in Columbia, South Carolina, United States) is the current Administrator of NASA, a retired United States Marine Corps major general, and former NASA astronaut.

He's a political hack with a resume.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 10:29:22 PM »

Bolden might be a bit far along in years to challenge Rahm Emanuel to a knife fight.

Then again, experience and real tenacity might serve him well.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 10:41:25 PM »
Y'all are missing this completely.  He really can't say that NASA is secretly working on a KE bombardment satellite with the Air Force.  Once we get that sucker in orbit above the Middle East and do a test strike, instantly we have better relations. 

=D
Okay maybe not. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 10:47:37 PM »
However, Bolden denied the suggestion that he was on a diplomatic mission -- in a distinctly non-diplomatic role.

"Not at all. It's not a diplomatic anything," he said.

He said the United States is not going to travel beyond low-Earth orbit on its own and that no country is going to make it to Mars without international help.
I think this quote is even worse than the first one.  We can't get past low Earth orbit without help.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 11:57:52 PM »
Call me blunt, but it strikes me that the Muslim World does not soon get its house in order the only better relation to be made with them will be akin to the "Better Relations" The Covenant made with The Flood.

We keep what we kill?

Works for me.  >:D
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 12:45:01 AM »
Call me when we've decided to give them their own planet.
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 02:38:20 AM »

NASA Administrator Charles Bolden said in a recent interview that his "foremost" mission as the head of America's space exploration agency is to improve relations with the Muslim world.

And here I thought it was space exploration. I'm confused.

Call me when we've decided to give them their own planet.

We have. It's called Earth.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

sanglant

• friend

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 11:48:11 AM »
Somebody picked the wrong week to start sniffing glue.

Though I suppose Iran might have some interesting advances in missile technology, and would like to have more.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 12:18:42 PM »
Did y'all miss the Iranian Robot?  It is only a matter of time before the Sharia Kill Bots take over.

Iran unveils robot descended from ancient Persian royalty
http://dvice.com/archives/2010/07/iran-unveils-ro.php
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.80c425d08e43bd8ab419c2b2bb578795.141&show_article=1

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2010, 12:19:46 PM »

Just ignore the Made in Japan tag and the Intel Inside sticker on the back.  
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 12:24:10 PM by MechAg94 »

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2010, 12:21:35 PM »
Did y'all miss the Iranian Robot?  It is only a matter of time before the Sharia Kill Bots take over.

Iran unveils robot descended from ancient Persian royalty
http://dvice.com/archives/2010/07/iran-unveils-ro.php
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.80c425d08e43bd8ab419c2b2bb578795.141&show_article=1

Do the girl-bots have to wear a burka?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2010, 12:25:42 PM »
I was just thinking that it would cover up the logo.  HOWEVER, does Sharia law prohibit advertising on the outside of the burka?  What if we started a company to pay muslim women to wear burka's with ads on them?   =)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2010, 04:54:21 PM »
"Walking slowly like human beings with regular arm and leg movements are among its characteristics," it said. "Such robots are designed and developed to be used in sensitive and difficult jobs on behalf of a person or as help."

They need a protocol droid. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2010, 07:11:43 PM »
It's apparent you guys missed the NASA memo on the Advanced Flying Carpet program...
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2010, 09:02:53 PM »
The full horror of this decision is not that NASA is 'engaging the Islamic world'. If anything, that's the least controversial part of the deal.

The problem is that NASA is folding back from space travel. NASA's goals are now talking to schoolchildren about space, engaging other nations in space research, talking to Muslims about space. Nothing about these things is actually bad per se – but the thing that's key here is that none of these goals are about actually going to space.

And this is fairly reasonable.

What could NASA – given its current budget and the state of the economy – accomplish in space right now?

Of course, it would be possible to go to the moon. But unless a quality jump occurs in the size and capacity of carriers, a permanent moon settlement is not currently in the cards. All that we could do at the current level would be to send a handful of astronauts, have them hop about on the surface, conduct some experiments and go home. The scientific benefit of sending such astronauts is very limited – as far as I understand, there's very little they could do there that a moon rover of some kind could not do better and cheaper.

Every kind of major accomplishment – not just a shiny mission for the cameras, a major accomplishment – bigger lifters, a moonbase, a Mars shot, anything of this kind requires money and political will. The technology for these things is not outside the reach of humanity. Blueprints and design studies for lifters that can heft 500 tons into orbit at once existed since the 1960's. But right now, the will isn't there and we all know it.

Now I am all for private space travel. Private space travel is going to cut lifter prices of orbital lift and rocket engines, and possibly enable private moonshots at some point as the prices fall due to competition. But we're not talking about  the future of space travel in general here – we're talking about NASA.

It seems to me that this new statement by the NASA director is a portent – not of some reconciliatory moves towards Muslim nations, but of NASA accepting a 'caretaker' status and giving up, if temporarily, its role as a leader in actual space travel.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2010, 10:28:53 PM »
Do the girl-bots have to wear a burka?

If a girl-bot acts "obscenely" does it get stoned/beaten or does its programmer?
Look, tiny text!

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2010, 10:54:20 PM »
both, why try to save stones? they're cheap. [popcorn]