Author Topic: Possible SCOTUS Opening This Summer  (Read 5335 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Possible SCOTUS Opening This Summer
« on: April 20, 2017, 10:46:59 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/04/20/chuck-grassley-expects-supreme-court-resignation-this-summer.html

If this is true and it turns out to be Ginsburg or Breyer, the left is going to explode.

“I would expect a resignation this summer,” Sen. Chuck Grassley, the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, told Iowa’s Muscatine Journal.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Possible SCOTUS Opening This Summer
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 11:07:24 AM »
I don't think it will be Ginsberg, IIRC she stated she would not resign so that Trump could replace her. Had HRC won she would have probably resigned but things being what they are and her somewhat obvious hatred of Trump I think the only way she will leave while Trump is in office is feet first. At her advanced age and list of previous ailments that is a distinct possibility.

bob

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 11:16:52 AM »
things being what they are and her somewhat obvious hatred of Trump I think the only way she will leave while Trump is in office is feet first. At her advanced age and list of previous ailments that is a distinct possibility.

Well, Trump will certainly be doing all he can to help her keep her blood pressure in the danger zone.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 11:23:48 AM »
Breyer!

That's who is leaving.  [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 11:28:57 AM »
I look forward to the left's fits of apoplexy.   >:D
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 03:54:47 PM »
Breyer!

That's who is leaving.  [tinfoil]
Who is it?  I didn't notice.  Maybe the font wasn't big enough.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BobR

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 04:04:30 PM »
I think it will be Kennedy, he is 80 years old and now that they have a new Associate Justice that thinks somewhat like he does (maybe) he may want to retire and enjoy his remaining months.

bob

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 05:15:07 PM »
Ginsberg has cancer.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 05:37:53 PM »
Ginsberg has cancer.

She had had cancer since 2009, first colon then pancreatic and most recently had to have a coronary stent placed (2014). Not the picture of health but not on death's door either. She has stated she wants to emulate Justice Stevens who retired at the age of 90 after 35 years on the court. She has a ways to reach either of those goals. :(

bob

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 08:05:05 PM »
She had had cancer since 2009, first colon then pancreatic and most recently had to have a coronary stent placed (2014). Not the picture of health but not on death's door either. She has stated she wants to emulate Justice Stevens who retired at the age of 90 after 35 years on the court. She has a ways to reach either of those goals. :(

bob

Ok.  Seriously.  What kind of pact with the devil did she have to make to survive both colon *AND* pancreatic cancer?  Seriously.  I've lost friends in their 20's and 30's to both those.   
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 08:15:18 PM »
Ok.  Seriously.  What kind of pact with the devil...?

The kind where she gets to keep being a Supreme Court Justice, if she promises to be Satan's proxy vote?

Actually, I'm pretty sure ole slew-foot would have preferred to have her dead, and another Obama appointee on the court.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 09:07:37 PM »
I hope its Breyer, Ginsberg isn't going to make it anther 4, let alone 8 years even if she wanted to.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 11:48:53 PM »
Who is it?  I didn't notice.  Maybe the font wasn't big enough.   =)

You must have really lousy eyesight!     =D [tinfoil] [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 01:17:24 AM »
Ok.  Seriously.  What kind of pact with the devil did she have to make to survive both colon *AND* pancreatic cancer?  Seriously.  I've lost friends in their 20's and 30's to both those.   

A healthcare budget of "yes" including the best doctors possible?

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2017, 01:39:25 AM »
I don't see Ginsberg or Breyer retiring willingly as long a non-D is POTUS.  If there's a retirement coming then Kennedy (80 and approaching 29 years on the court) is most likely, followed by Thomas (68, but 25.5 years on the court).

However Ginsberg or Breyer could pass away at any time (well, technically any of the SCOTUS justices could), and it's highly unlikely both of them make it to 2024.  Ginsberg is 84 and has been on the court for 24 years and as noted has had some major health problems.  Breyer is 78 and has been there for 23 years though his Wikipedia page doesn't mention any health problems.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2017, 08:28:21 AM »
I don't see Ginsberg or Breyer retiring willingly as long a non-D is POTUS.  If there's a retirement coming then Kennedy (80 and approaching 29 years on the court) is most likely, followed by Thomas (68, but 25.5 years on the court).

However Ginsberg or Breyer could pass away at any time (well, technically any of the SCOTUS justices could), and it's highly unlikely both of them make it to 2024.  Ginsberg is 84 and has been on the court for 24 years and as noted has had some major health problems.  Breyer is 78 and has been there for 23 years though his Wikipedia page doesn't mention any health problems.

What's all this talk about 2024? If the Republicans don't stop trying to sabotage the things Trump was elected to carry out, Trump is likely to be a one-term President. Ryan, especially, is a snake in the grass. I recently received a survey from his, in which he (or whoever prepared the mailing in his name) made numerous statements about GOP "unity" and asking for my input on "our" agenda -- obviously intended to convey the [totally false] impression that Ryan is marching in lock step with the President. I filled it out and sent it back, but I also wrote to him to inform him that he is part of the problem, not part of the solution, and that if he doesn't rally the troops to support the President, there are going to be a lot of Republican congresscritters who lose their seats in the mid-term elections.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2017, 09:14:19 AM »
A healthcare budget of "yes" including the best doctors possible?

Where is Steve Jobs right now?  He had a helthcare budget of "yes" including the best doctors possible.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2017, 09:45:02 AM »
Where is Steve Jobs right now?  He had a helthcare budget of "yes" including the best doctors possible.

Steve Jobs intentionally did not seek medical care. The type of cancer he had has a very high survival rate with surgery and modern medicine. He killed himself by going with "alternative medicine", "special diets" and such. He tried surgery after all those failed, but it was too late.

It's a sad tale. It'd be quick to be snarky, but really it's snakeoil salesmen who danger people's lives by making false promises and preying on people with fears about their own mortality.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2017, 09:56:52 AM »
Steve Jobs intentionally did not seek medical care. The type of cancer he had has a very high survival rate with surgery and modern medicine. He killed himself by going with "alternative medicine", "special diets" and such. He tried surgery after all those failed, but it was too late.

It's a sad tale. It'd be quick to be snarky, but really it's snakeoil salesmen who danger people's lives by making false promises and preying on people with fears about their own mortality.

Thank you for the information, I didn't know he went all alternative medicine.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2017, 10:15:36 AM »
Thank you for the information, I didn't know he went all alternative medicine.

Yeah, I also had no idea. Interesting.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2017, 02:23:28 PM »
Guess it's time to dust off that resume. 

So, what sidearm should a Supreme Court justice carry?  Hmmm...  :lol:
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2017, 02:26:25 PM »

So, what sidearm should a Supreme Court justice carry?  Hmmm...  :lol:

Just PLEASE wear pants under the robe, Reardon. :P
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 03:10:46 PM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2017, 02:34:14 PM »

So, what sidearm should a Supreme Court justice carry?  Hmmm...  :lol:

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Regolith

• friend
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

HankB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2017, 01:00:37 PM »
Actually I was hoping Ms. Ginsburg was serious - rather than merely joking - about a move to New Zealand if Trump won . . .

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/287179-ruth-bader-ginsberg-if-trump-wins-time-to-move-to-new
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain