Author Topic: Trump targets Congress members' own health plans  (Read 1426 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Trump targets Congress members' own health plans
« on: July 31, 2017, 01:12:20 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/07/31/trump-finds-obamacare-repeal-leverage-congress-insurance-benefit.html

Looks like Trump is going to force healthcare reform by removing a rule that will force congress members to pay for their healthcare premiums.  Evidently it is a carve-out from 2013.

Quote from: From the linked article
Under the Obama administration, the Office of Personnel Management decided to grant what is often described as an exemption under the Affordable Care Act allowing lawmakers and their staff to keep getting a government subsidy for health care.

This required a special OPM decision to categorize Congress as a small business, allowing lawmakers and their aides to get government payments as an employer contribution through the exchange. Absent that, they would have been directed onto the individual exchange which prohibits an employer contribution.

Emphasis mine.  In what realm would you consider Congress with all their staffers a small business?  According to the article Congress numbers 20,000+.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Trump targets Congress members' own health plans
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 01:55:21 PM »
Good. I hope he can pull it off. I was in favor of this back when the whole debacle started. If it happened, it would be an interesting show watching Pelosi, Waters, etc. cry racism and anti-feminism for making them get their insurance the same way a good portion of middle America has to, since they won't qualify for subsidies. It would also have the Rs getting their act together once they have skin in the game.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 04:51:40 PM »
Dear G-d, PULEEEEEEEEEEZE make it happen!
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 04:57:40 PM »
Do It.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 05:05:00 PM »
Bronze plan.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 08:42:44 PM »
I am all for it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 08:53:46 PM »
Also, honestly, when Obamacare passed  I would have liked to have seen that applied across the federal government, even though it would have affected me at the time. I bet within a couple of years, about a half million federal employees that always voted D would have switched to R or stayed home.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 11:37:56 PM »
I bet within a couple of years, about a half million federal employees that always voted D would have switched to R or stayed home.
Or voted D yet again based on promises to further expand Obamacare.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 11:05:22 AM »
Good!

I remember, their "small business" exemption was a patent fraud that Obama ignored...

and Rand Paul of all people helped cover it up:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/05/11/rand-pauls-fishy-stance-on-obamacare-benefits.html

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 03:01:15 PM »
I am optimistic. Trump will use this to scare the Senate back into session.  They'll pass ObamaCare 2.0, Trump will sign it into law, and everyone will pat themselves on the back for a job well done.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.