Author Topic: Sarah Palin Warns Supporters of Online Imposter  (Read 1145 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Sarah Palin Warns Supporters of Online Imposter
« on: July 07, 2009, 04:48:43 PM »
The Democrats and many Republican leaders will do what ever they have to to ruin Palins chances to do anything politico.  Maybe she should run as a Constitutional party candidate.

Sarah Palin Warns Supporters of Online Imposter
.Article Comments (15) Digits HOME PAGE ».EmailPrinter FriendlyPermalinkShare:
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2009/07/06/sarah-palin-goes-after-fake-sarah-palins/

By Andrew LaVallee
After her surprise announcement that she won’t finish her term as Alaska’s governor, Sarah Palin has resorted to Facebook and Twitter for subsequent comments. But she warned supporters to avoid imposters pretending to be her online, particularly a Twitter user called “EXGovSarahPalin” whose mix of copycat and false updates have confused some.

EXGovSarahPalin (the fake Sarah Palin Twitter account)
Gov. Palin’s official account is “ AKGovSarahPalin,” which has more than 70,000 followers. She has posted more than a dozen messages since her press conference Friday, including links to letters  from her and  her attorney, updates from a weekend fishing trip (”Grateful Todd left fishing grnds to join me this wkend; but now he’s back slaying salmon & working the kids @ the site; anxious to join ‘em!”) and July 4 shout-outs to Alaskans and military families.

At first glance, the Twitter page for  EXGovSarahPalin is similar, down to the user photo and background image. As of Monday 3 p.m. EST, it had only 129 followers. Its bio reads “Making change from the outside,” in contrast to Gov. Palin’s “Creating New Energy for Alaskans as governor of the 49th state.”

The fake Palin tweets also include copies of some real ones. “Unfortunately fake ‘Gov Sarah Palin’ twitter sites r doing their thing today:unscrupulous, untrue- so sorry if u recv false info @ fake site,” reads an  EXGovSarahPalin post time-stamped 14 minutes after Gov. Palin wrote the  same message.

AKGovSarahPalin (Gov. Palin’s official Twitter account)
Earlier, EXGovSarahPalin copied another  Gov. Palin tweet — “Check out Lt. Gov. Parnell’s response re: my announcement today @ http://tinyurl.com/l8xv3v” — but savvily  added a “#palin” hashtag.

David Murrow, a spokesman for Gov. Palin, told the Associated Press that security was sent to her Wasilla, Alaska, home Saturday after EXGovSarahPalin posted a fake Fourth of July  party invitation.

Some Twitter users have  sent  warnings to fellow supporters that EXGov isn’t the real deal. One of them,  mavChassB, noted that its posts have been appearing via an iPhone app, while “real Palinites know @AKGovSarahPalin rocks a Blackberry!”

Twitter didn’t respond to a request for comment, but the microblogging service in June said it is adding a verification option for public and well-known figures. Fake accounts have been an issue for companies as well as individuals (Gov. Palin has a few, including  FakeSarahPalin), but Twitter’s terms allow for what it calls “parody impersonation.”

“The profile information on a parody account must make it obvious that the profile is fake, or it is subject to removal from Twitter.com. If it is not evident from viewing the profile that it is a joke, it is considered non-parody impersonation,” it says in its “impersonation policy.”

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Re: Sarah Palin Warns Supporters of Online Imposter
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 02:37:53 AM »
interesting, that stuff happens quite a bit though.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."