Author Topic: Concealed carry in church now approved  (Read 6328 times)

Waitone

• friend
Concealed carry in church now approved
« on: July 08, 2010, 05:32:14 PM »
At least in Louisiana.  http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/Bobby-Jindal-concealed-handguns/2010/07/08/id/364117
Does anyone know if Louisiana law required annual "tactical training" for any other segment of society?  If no, why tactical training just for churches?  Why not tactical training all around?  I'm an advocate of legal training as a prereq for a concealed carry permit but I oppose skills training and I especially opposed enhanced training just for churches.  I think the ruling bodies in churches are perfectly capable of deciding the skill level for their establishment.
Jindal Agrees to Allow Concealed Guns in Church
Thursday, 08 Jul 2010 01:36 PM
Article Font Size   

BATON ROUGE, La. - Gov. Bobby Jindal has agreed to allow concealed handguns inside Louisiana's churches.

Churches, synagogues and mosques choosing to allow concealed carry will have to inform their congregations of the decision. Anyone wishing to carry a concealed weapon in a church will have to take an extra eight hours of tactical training each year.

Jindal signed the bill by Republican Rep. Henry Burns on Tuesday.

The new law does not apply to churches on school property.

Supporters of the measure said it can be a deterrent against criminal activity in church and will give an option to ministers and pastors to incorporate concealed handguns into their security plans.

Opponents argued it's inappropriate to have concealed handguns in church.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Concealed carry in church now approved
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 05:35:37 PM »
 ;/  Step by step with these hoplophobes.   ;/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 05:56:14 PM »

I would think that some would feel it inappropriate for women to wear black lacy underwear in church. Is someone going to check it?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 06:33:44 PM »
Why, did you want the job? 

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 06:46:43 PM »
Sure. If nothing else it will get me to go to church. ;)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 06:54:48 PM »
Now there's a church growth strategy. 

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 07:09:19 PM »

FIFY
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 07:50:20 PM »

Rick Warren and the Druckerites, Saddleback, Willow Creek, embracing congregant carry.  (not.)

(Oddly enough, I know that a committee in our church sought church security advice from the Willow Creek(R) churchmall ).

Here in Ill-i-noise, it's a long way away.  Dick Daley will have to be doing time first.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 08:52:42 PM »

I don't understand this argument at all.

No doubt some religions are such that they view personal arms as repellent. It would be inappropriate to be armed in their houses of worship.

But in what way is it inappropriate to be armed in a church or other house of worship where the religion expresses no pacifist view, or, in fact, condones people being armed? Certainly there are rabbis that carry guns, and I have no doubt that there are also Christian pastors who do.

What authority do these people think they have to decide, once and for all, what is appropriate in religions not their own?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

taurusowner

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 09:01:51 PM »
What authority do these people think they have to decide, once and for all, what is appropriate in religions not their own?

These are the same kind of people who think they have the authority to decide what car it's appropriate for you to drive, or what kind of lightbulbs you are allowed to have.  Is this really much of a stretch?

They have an idea for how the world should be.  You will fit into it one way or another.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 09:39:28 PM »
Willow Creek(R) churchmall

Funnysad.   :lol: :'(

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 11:07:33 PM »

No doubt some religions are such that they view personal arms as repellent. It would be inappropriate to be armed in their houses of worship.

But in what way is it inappropriate to be armed in a church or other house of worship where the religion expresses no pacifist view, or, in fact, condones people being armed? Certainly there are rabbis that carry guns, and I have no doubt that there are also Christian pastors who do.

Probably because:
1. Long-term exposure to media reports of gun crime and gun accidents have associated negative emotions with guns.
2. They have not taken to heart the Bene Gesserit litany against fear
3. They expect Church rules to protect them from negative emotions, and possibly...
3a. They confuse their own fear with evil, and since evil can have no place in Church, guns have no place in church.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 11:26:28 PM »
Sure. THey can then ban guns from whatever church they attend, if they can persuade the people who run it (I'm not sure who decides such rules, and it's probably different in different religions/branches).

Look, if you want to have a religion that is lovey-dovey-hippy pacifist religion, more power to ya.

But what bugs me is how they assume that all other religions are like that, too.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 11:35:12 PM »

I don't know if it rises to the level of an argument.  I think it's similar to the notion that people shouldn't carry guns around children.  ("People shouldn't take guns to McDonald's.  I bring my kids there!!")  Carrying a gun is presumed to increase risk or introduce violence into an otherwise peaceful setting. 

It's not something that can be analyzed or responded to with reason. 

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 11:38:46 PM »
Rick Warren and the Druckerites, Saddleback, Willow Creek, embracing congregant carry.  (not.)

(Oddly enough, I know that a committee in our church sought church security advice from the Willow Creek(R) churchmall ).

Here in Ill-i-noise, it's a long way away.  Dick Daley will have to be doing time first.

I created my own nickname for one of the local megachurches:
The Baptadome
(Prestonwood Baptist http://www.prestonwood.org)
http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=prestonwood+baptist+church&fb=1&gl=us&hq=prestonwood+baptist+church&hnear=Richardson,+TX&cid=0,0,8906977075237721128&ei=tJg2TI6DIMH68AbKzI2yAw&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=2&ved=0CCMQnwIwAQ

As far as megachurches go, it is one of the better.  Still not my cup of tea.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 11:41:01 PM »
As far as CCW in church, it is legal and practiced in Texas. (Practiced so as to get it right!)
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 11:46:32 PM »
I don't know if it rises to the level of an argument.  I think it's similar to the notion that people shouldn't carry guns around children.  ("People shouldn't take guns to McDonald's.  I bring my kids there!!")  Carrying a gun is presumed to increase risk or introduce violence into an otherwise peaceful setting. 

I get that. What I don't get is the assumption that all places of worship are 'peaceful settings' in that sense. Russian Orthodox Priests, for instance, see nothing wrong with training with firearms and blessing troops and their weaponry.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2010, 11:33:18 AM »
I'm an advocate of legal training as a prereq for a concealed carry permit

None of that is mentioned in the 2A.

Just had to bold that and say AMEN!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2010, 12:41:05 PM »

I think this is the best explanation.  Churches get lumped into the same categories as bars, day care centers, hospitals and other places that people think should be gun free.  I also think that some people believe that churches are somehow sacred and holy and that God won't allow bad things to happen there.  Obviously, this hasn't worked out well, but it doesn't stop people from thinking it anyway.

My state's law allows people to carry in churches if the governing body of the curch gives it the ok.  My church allows it.  It helps that the pastor and 3 out of 4 elders are comfortable with guns. 
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.