Author Topic: Old Ox Brewery, need to support  (Read 6197 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Old Ox Brewery, need to support
« on: February 10, 2015, 06:56:20 AM »
http://allaboutbeer.com/red-bulls-lawsuit-virginia-brewery/

Red Bull has sued them saying that people might confuse an ox with a bull, the brewery is calling Red Bullshit.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: Old Ox Brewery, need to support
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 07:37:26 AM »
Are they going to do the same to Spotted Cow?
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 07:54:00 AM »
Are they going to do the same to Spotted Cow?

And Buffalo Butt?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 08:04:59 AM »
Ashburn isn't far from here.  I may have to pay them a visit.

ETA:
From their site:
Look for our sign between mile marker 25 and 25 1/2 of the W&OD Trail. We’re cycle friendly: beer – bike rack – air – bike tools – food – H20. Oh yes, and really clean restrooms

I'm there!  That would make a nice ride from my office in Reston (not far from W&OD trail).

Chris

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 08:07:05 AM »
Story's big enough to get a write-up in the WP.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/going-out-guide/wp/2015/02/09/red-bull-wants-to-rename-an-ashburn-brewery-because-an-ox-looks-like-a-bull/

I hope they take a massive PR hit. I can't stand corporate bully tactics, especially over something as asisine and overtly ridiculous as this. Not only are the products uniquely distinct, the logos bear absolutely NO resemblance. Five bucks says RB has a search bot that trolls for certain words and the C&D (cease & desist) minions automatically generate letters. Maybe the negative publicity on this will have them vetting their results a little better next time.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 08:18:51 AM »
Ashburn isn't far from here.  I may have to pay them a visit.

ETA:
From their site:
Look for our sign between mile marker 25 and 25 1/2 of the W&OD Trail. We’re cycle friendly: beer – bike rack – air – bike tools – food – H20. Oh yes, and really clean restrooms

I'm there!  That would make a nice ride from my office in Reston (not far from W&OD trail).

Chris

Stop in and tell him to join the class action suit against Red Bull:

http://www.energydrinksettlement.com/
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 08:35:11 AM »
Actually, I'm going there Friday.

See, I'm planning to attend The Nation's Gunshow in Chantilly Friday afternoon.  That isn't far from one of the W&OD parking lots.  That lot is a couple miles from the brewery.  So, I'm going to leave home early, bike to the brewery, have a pint or two, then bike back to my car, pack up, and hit the gun show before returning home.  Booze, bikes, and guns FTW!

Chris

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 08:36:54 AM »
Should you happen to have an opinion...

http://energydrink-us.redbull.com/general-contact-form

A quick Bingle shows the story is rapidly going viral through multiple news and social media outlets. If RB doesn't do a massive, public about-face, and soon, this could easily end up being a rather large discomfort in their anus.  :rofl:

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 08:47:37 AM »
FWIW, the Ox in the name has regional and probably historical significance in this area.  There are a lot of place and street names with Ox in the title (Old Ox Road in Fairfax being one that comes to mind).  I don't know what the name stems from, but it's commonplace in Northern VA.

ETA: It seems many people made the same comment about the road name in the comments section. 

Chris

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 09:17:34 AM »
Their North American corporate headquarters is in Santa Monica, CA. This story built up steam overnight and it's currently only 6:00 A.M. in CA. Two additional hours for the story to spread before RB NorthAm execs hit their offices.  I'm guessing their workday beginning may be a bit... tense.

Brad
-HankB

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 09:21:30 AM »
Stop in and tell him to join the class action suit against Red Bull:

http://www.energydrinksettlement.com/

Online claim form...

https://iqa.gcginc.com/rdb/

Settlement is choice of:
A) $10 real money, or
B) $15 retail value of Red Bull product shipped to your home (a 4-pack at their SRP, -Brad)

Brad

« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 09:27:54 AM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 10:00:51 AM »
FWIW, the Ox in the name has regional and probably historical significance in this area.  

Chris

Interesting. Seems like there could then be the possibility of the brewery, or someone else in the region with "Ox" in their name, pulling the old switcharoo and creating a notice of opposition to Red Bull for usurping their historical identity. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 10:03:41 AM »
I heard about it this morning on my local news so figured it was gaining steam in the national press.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 11:43:44 AM »
Looks like it's hit a couple of UK news outlets. Nothing like overt dumba**ery to help get your name in the international news.

Edit to add...

Fox News has picked it up.
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/02/10/red-bull-opposes-craft-brewery-use-ox-in-name/?intcmp=features

Anyone want to give odds on Red Bull NorthAm issuing some form of pseudo-apology later today?

Brad
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 12:00:08 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 02:26:40 PM »
By their logic, Red Bull owes a very large debt to a certain very large Lumberjack.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2015, 02:39:16 PM »
By their logic, Red Bull owes a very large debt to a certain very large Lumberjack.

and to the Red Angus Association.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2015, 02:44:03 PM »
I sent RB a nasty gram.  I hope everyone here does, too.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2015, 08:02:50 AM »
I sent RB a nasty gram.  I hope everyone here does, too.

Red Bull(shi*) is going to lose this battle. They are already losing in the Court of Public Opinion based on my Facebook feed.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2015, 12:33:24 PM »
Red Bull(shi*) is going to lose this battle. They are already losing in the Court of Public Opinion based on my Facebook feed.

"Boo Hiss" sentiments are about 95% of the comments on RB's Facebook posts. I also notice that most of their FB entries from yesterday have mysteriously disappeared. Hmmmm, can't imagine why...

Bingleing "Old Ox Red Bull" returned eight full pages of unique news story links (most were pickups of the AP story). They're getting hammered, and rightfully so. Would be funny as hell if a bunch of alcohol-centric corporate sponsors dumped on Red Bull events due to this.

Brad
-HankB

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2015, 12:02:10 AM »
I wonder how many of the blithering idjots at redbull  [barf] know the difference between a bull and an ox?

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2015, 06:44:26 AM »
I'm surprised that Redbull is even still in business.  The crap tastes worse than medicine and overpriced.  There are much better tasting and cheaper products on the market.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2015, 10:10:49 AM »
I'm surprised that Redbull is even still in business.  The crap tastes worse than medicine and overpriced.  There are much better tasting and cheaper products on the market.

I've never understood it either. I only tried it once and only made it past a few sips. It tastes like cough medicine to me as well.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2015, 10:15:59 AM »
Lately I have been drinking Old Glory that is $.99 a can and sends proceeds to organizations that support the National Guard.  Used to drink AMP quite a bit but Sam's quit stocking case quantities of it on a regular basis so switched over to Monster.  May have to hit up the Dollar Store and stock up on Rip-Its, usually a $1 a can.