Author Topic: Interesting Pics  (Read 748 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Interesting Pics
« on: April 21, 2015, 07:47:21 AM »
http://www.livescience.com/50523-wwii-uss-independence-photos.html

Looks like someone forgot to get all the planes off before sinking. :facepalm:
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Interesting Pics
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 08:40:42 AM »
Looks like someone forgot to get all the planes off before sinking. :facepalm:

That was intentional. Operation Crossroads was the testing of nuclear weapons against ships. Planes were probably irradiated, hence the disposal at sea.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Interesting Pics
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 09:11:27 AM »
From Wikipedia: "For test purposes, all the ships carried sample amounts of fuel and ordnance, plus airplanes. Most warships carried a seaplane on deck, which could be lowered into the water by crane,[67] but the Saratoga carried several airplanes with highly volatile aviation fuel, both on deck and in the hangars below. The fire was extinguished and the Saratoga was kept afloat for use in the Baker shot."

Everything was irradiated, especially from Baker, the underwater shot.

Most of them were irradiated so badly that they were sunk on site after decontamination tests failed.

Independence was one of the ships that was towed away to try decontamination steps: "USS Independence survived Able with spectacular damage to the flight deck.[112] She was moored far enough away from Baker to avoid further physical damage, but was severely contaminated. She was towed to San Francisco,[113] where four years of decontamination experiments at the Hunters Point Naval Shipyard failed to produce satisfactory results. On January 29, 1951, she was scuttled near the Farallon Islands.[114]"
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.