Author Topic: Fight for Life or Darwin at Work  (Read 3577 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Fight for Life or Darwin at Work
« on: April 28, 2015, 06:32:14 AM »
http://www.newson6.com/story/28902641/osbi-man-killed-after-holding-oklahoma-game-wardens-head-under-water

Game warden tries to arrest guy with warrant, fight goes down, both wind up in water, bad guy tries to drown the warden, and gets shot for his troubles. 
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Fight for Life or Darwin at Work
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 06:57:23 AM »
I just love stories with happy endings.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 07:08:03 AM »
I'm curious to know more about the people that were with him if someone that you're with does that they either believe yoy eill go along with the coverup or you are gonna be next
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MechAg94

• friend
Re:
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 09:15:14 AM »
I'm curious to know more about the people that were with him if someone that you're with does that they either believe yoy eill go along with the coverup or you are gonna be next
I think at the least they would be prosecuted as accessories to murder.  I am surprises they are not under arrest as accomplices to attempted murder, which might still be murder since the guy was killed (depending on laws in OK). 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
Re:
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 10:07:48 AM »
I think at the least they would be prosecuted as accessories to murder.  I am surprises they are not under arrest as accomplices to attempted murder, which might still be murder since the guy was killed (depending on laws in OK). 
Why? The story says during the license check, an outstanding warrant was found for the actual (now deceased) perp, which is why the warden tried to make an arrest. No indication the other guys had warrants or were involved in any crime, such as joining in the perp's fight with the game warden.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 11:53:28 AM »
When you don't join in to stop an obviously unlawful and potentially deadly assault then you are part of the problem.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

• friends
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 01:11:30 PM »
Yup^
Maybe it's my evil nature that makes me think that I might be next if he kills cop

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 01:15:57 PM »
There is no mention to how much time passed from I'm taking you into custody to both guys falling into pond and bad guy getting shot.  There may not have been any time for the other two to get involved. 

Situations like that tend to escalate and end quickly.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 01:32:00 PM »
There is no mention to how much time passed from I'm taking you into custody to both guys falling into pond and bad guy getting shot.  There may not have been any time for the other two to get involved. 

Situations like that tend to escalate and end quickly.

This.

Plus folk who do this sort of thing are generally not the sort to game out the scenario. 

Were I one of the bystanders, I would have no problem calling 911.  "Hey, Somedood is trying to kill a game warden!  Come quick!"  Not sure I would jump into a pond with two guys in a death struggle, one of which you know is armed.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 01:33:11 PM »
This.

Plus folk who do this sort of thing are generally not the sort to game out the scenario. 

Were I one of the bystanders, I would have no problem calling 911.  "Hey, Somedood is trying to kill a game warden!  Come quick!"  Not sure I would jump into a pond with two guys in a death struggle, one of which you know is armed.

Plus to add how do you help without the game warden thinking you're not helping him?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 02:01:23 PM »
When you don't join in to stop an obviously unlawful and potentially deadly assault then you are part of the problem.

By part of the problem, you mean using some well justifiable caution and common sense? Two people in a tussle, involving at least one firearm? I'm seeking thick cover and calling 911.

Unlike you like being accidentally or intentionally shot. Because that's how you get accidentally or intentionally shot.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

• friends
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 02:08:51 PM »
Need to assess other folks too. One of my young nimrods ended up tussling with a cop in his folks living room. He was 16 and very stout. He was on top and i was afraid it was gonna go real bad so i grabbed him from behind and put him out. His parents were there, they had called cops, his mom went ape on me when her precious snowflakes eyes rolled back in his head.
I was afraid he was gonna end up shot in front of his parents. The cop was trying to be nice and it was a mistake.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2015, 02:48:25 PM »
I'm not a cop, I don't play one on TV, I don't have qualified immunity or a union lawyer to back me up, and the warden wouldn't know if I'm helping him or joining in with the guy he's fighting, so I'd stay out of the fray and call 911.  If that makes me part of the problem in your eyes . . . well, I can live with that.   ;/
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2015, 10:33:21 PM »

What law requires a bystander to intervene, or makes it unlawful for a bystander NOT to intervene?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2015, 10:52:47 PM »
If you are just a bystander that is all well and good.  If you are standing there with two friends and one friend decides to go nuts on an officer, are you still a bystander? 

The story didn't mention anything about the other people, where they were, or what they did at the time of the struggle.  I just figured police would just haul the whole group to jail and let prosecutors sort out what to do.  They may not.  If it was all in just a handful of seconds, I doubt the others would have much problem.  That is not a scenario one could plan for.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2015, 11:15:34 PM »
Depends if you're otherwise in a lawful activity.  If you're out fishing with your buddy and had no idea he might have a warrant out for his arrest and he goes ape-*expletive deleted*it on a cop I think you qualify as a bystander.  As long as you don't participate in the beating of the cop.  While it might be worth trying to stop your buddy, I don't think you're legally required to do so to avoid being convicted.

If you're the lookout while your buddy is ripping off the Kwik-Mart and he gets into a fight with a responding cop then you are an accomplice, not a bystander.

Recall that the guy that was with Mike Brown (Dorian Johnson) was not arrested for anything involving that shooting.  And in fact was hired by the city afterwards.
Formerly sumpnz