Author Topic: The Citizen's Guide to Surviving Police Encounters  (Read 1318 times)

Ned Hamford

• friend
The Citizen's Guide to Surviving Police Encounters
« on: December 14, 2006, 07:07:24 PM »
How to make the LEOs REALLY suspicious.
I find it amusing that at no time is there the recomendation 'Dont Break The Law' or 'Dont be a hippy/vandalist'.  Also fun, pretty far in the movie, the LEOs overlook what appears to be some date rape to get at a girls pot stash.  Which, by the absurd size of that bag, is like, 10 times the intent to sell amount.  If you've got 45 minutes to spare and feel like getting pissed off...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8520847761350501823&q=ACLU+how+to+survive

police I love the prison doors slaming  police
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

cordex

• Administrator
Re: The Citizen's Guide to Surviving Police Encounters
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 10:22:34 AM »
I won't have a problem with any of the drug or party situations, but the information looks pretty solid.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 11:25:38 AM »
my response is to volunteer nothing,  and don't say anything until your attorney is there.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 03:13:06 PM »
I won't have a problem with any of the drug or party situations, but the information looks pretty solid.

As someone said in another post, if you get into a pissing match with a LEO your likely to spend the night in a cell waiting to explain things to a judge.  LEOs may not automatically be your friends, but if you start out as viewing them as enemies your likely to have a self fufilling prophecy.  Probably best to view LEOs and gov in general as akin to fire, dangerous but quite useful if respected.  Sorta like firearms

Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 07:52:57 AM »
As someone said in another post, if you get into a pissing match with a LEO your likely to spend the night in a cell waiting to explain things to a judge.
Certainly.  That video didn't say "Get in pissing matches with LEOs every chance you get!"  Quite to the contrary, it was very clear on the fact that you should be polite, respectful and cooperate as much as you are required to cooperate.  It did explain that you are not required to give police full access to your vehicle, home or person just because they ask to conduct a search.  It also said that if they decide to conduct a search anyway, you should never attempt to physically stop them or verbally abuse them.  It just said to not give consent.
LEOs may not automatically be your friends, but if you start out as viewing them as enemies your likely to have a self fufilling prophecy.
I agree completely.  They aren't automatically your friends or your enemies.  They are humans with authority and the capacity to use that authority for good or evil - even well-intentioned evil.
Probably best to view LEOs and gov in general as akin to fire, dangerous but quite useful if respected.  Sorta like firearms
You're completely right, police should be treated with the respect and care one would treat firearms.  The video seemed to give some good advice about some of the "Four Rules" that apply to safely handling police officers.  Think of the concepts in the video as being the police equivalent of "Never point a firearm at something you're not willing to destroy."  Readily consenting to searches without warrants and so forth can be equated to sweeping yourself or someone else with a gun.  Sure, 99% of the time the moment will pass without harm but it isn't worth the risk when simple precautions can be taken to avoid it.

A big way to limit risk is - as you pointed out - to not break the law.  Great!  That's like keeping your finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot.  That is one very important element of handling police safely.  Unfortunately, trying to avoid breaking the law doesn't give complete protection against being arrested.  One reason is that police don't just arrest people who are guilty, they arrest people for whom they have sufficient probable cause to suspect of a crime.  So, just being innocent isn't good enough.  You'll probably win the trial if they decide to prosecute, but you'll still be arrested and have to worry about hiring a lawyer and everything else that goes along with being arrested.  Even if it were just a case of not breaking the law, I propose that it is impossible to even be aware of every law that could apply to you.  If you aren't aware of all the laws that apply, you can hardly expect to be perfectly capable of complying with all of them.  Even lawyers have to specialize to know a particular section of the law inside and out.  All you can do is your best, but your best isn't guaranteed to keep you from being arrested.  So, in addition to not breaking the law, it can be helpful to adopt some reasonable procedures that can add to your safety. 

I didn't see anything that was suggested by the narrator of the video that would be inappropriate for any one of us to follow as an additional precaution.  Be polite, be respectful but don't be ignorant of what consenting to searches can lead to.

Strings

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 03:46:21 PM »
Not having been on the sharp end there (I don't really break laws), I have to ask: are there cops out there who are THAT blatant in lying about "we'll help you out"?

Not bad advice in there, and some things even the law-abiding should know...

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 02:11:26 AM »
What Cordex said deserves repeating:
A big way to limit risk is - as you pointed out - to not break the law.  Great!  That's like keeping your finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot.  That is one very important element of handling police safely.  Unfortunately, trying to avoid breaking the law doesn't give complete protection against being arrested.  One reason is that police don't just arrest people who are guilty, they arrest people for whom they have sufficient probable cause to suspect of a crime.  So, just being innocent isn't good enough. You'll probably win the trial if they decide to prosecute, but you'll still be arrested and have to worry about hiring a lawyer and everything else that goes along with being arrested.  Even if it were just a case of not breaking the law, I propose that it is impossible to even be aware of every law that could apply to you.  If you aren't aware of all the laws that apply, you can hardly expect to be perfectly capable of complying with all of them.  Even lawyers have to specialize to know a particular section of the law inside and out.  All you can do is your best, but your best isn't guaranteed to keep you from being arrested.  So, in addition to not breaking the law, it can be helpful to adopt some reasonable procedures that can add to your safety.

How did we get here and where are we going?

TC
TC
RT Refugee

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 03:14:44 AM »
How did we get here and where are we going?

TC

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 08:59:28 AM »
I like Chris Rock's version better.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qYIQsF_SCNw&mode=related&search=
Not work safe, not inoffensive.

Strings

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 10:20:04 PM »
thing is dasmi, that video is almost 100% accurate...

Lee

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 05:29:52 AM »
Chris Rock is about the smartest and funniest comedian out there.  Great stuff!

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 06:49:33 AM »
The best part is:
HE GOT WEED! HE GOT WEED!