Author Topic: What do you think of Newt Gringrich?  (Read 2279 times)

drewtam

• friend
What do you think of Newt Gringrich?
« on: December 17, 2006, 06:31:09 PM »
I saw him on "Meet the Press" tonight, I was fairly impressed. I wasn't old enough to be interested in politics in '94 (12yrs ago and I am 24 now).

He 'seems' so much more honest than any politician I've heard. I might not always agree with him, but I love the brute clarity and honesty with which he speaks.

For those who have experience of those days, what do you think of him?

Drew
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

HankB

• friend
Re: What do you think of Newt Gringrich?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 03:28:12 AM »
I find that on issues he is a clear, cogent, and thoughtful speaker, with whom I agree more often than not. As one of the architects of the GOP's "Contract with America" which led to the GOP congressional landslide of 1994, he did a great deal to minimize the damage caused by Bill Clinton.

He's been very articulate in getting to the real reasons of international efforts like the ICC and Kyoto Accords, and had explained in some detail why both would be bad for the USA.

On the other hand, abandoning his gravely ill wife is a stain on his personal character, and is probably enough to keep him from winning the nomination.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ron

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 04:29:35 AM »
HankB pretty well summed it up. He is damaged goods.
Good guy to have on your team though.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 06:10:00 AM »
Sadly, I agree. I would vote for him; but "they" probably would not.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 06:48:59 AM »
I find that on issues he is a clear, cogent, and thoughtful speaker, with whom I agree more often than not. As one of the architects of the GOP's "Contract with America" which led to the GOP congressional landslide of 1994, he did a great deal to minimize the damage caused by Bill Clinton.

He's been very articulate in getting to the real reasons of international efforts like the ICC and Kyoto Accords, and had explained in some detail why both would be bad for the USA.

On the other hand, abandoning his gravely ill wife is a stain on his personal character, and is probably enough to keep him from winning the nomination.

More of a tradional conservative than the Neocons, which means other than socially I agree with many of his views on Gubmn't, taxes, spending, and economy.....
+1 damaged goods. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 07:21:09 AM »
Yeah, I agree with y'all. He's not perceived as being as wild-eyed as say, Tancredo, who I personally kinda like, but I'm afraid his ship has probably sailed as far as higher public office beyond what he's already achieved.  However, a Rice/Gingrich ticket could be interesting to say the least.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 08:44:14 AM »
Anyone considering him should read his new book, which is clearly aimed at a presidential run.  Yes, he makes all the right noises.  He was drummed out for doing something that pales in comparison to everything since.  I'd probably vote for him over a bunch of other people.
I also wish people would stop mentioning Condoleeza Rice.  She won't run and if she did it would be a disaster.  Think Colin Powell.  Think Wesley Clark.  Both touted (by their respective pundits) as the greatest thing until they actually had to be in public under scrutiny.
I'd be interested in Haley Barbour or Jim Inhofe.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 08:51:41 AM »
Newt's a good politician to have in your corner.  The bulk of the personal malignment cast upon Newt was political character assasination.  He committed the ultimate political crime:  he was succesful in advancing a conservative agenda.

Yeah, his personal life is a little sketchy, but I can overlook issues with ex-wives.  There's no way for us to know whether she deserved better treatment than she got, or not.  It's entirely possible that Newt's cold shoulder was an act of charity compared to the way she treated him.  Spats with ex-spouses are rarely what they appear from the outside.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 09:20:50 AM »

Spats with ex-spouses are rarely what they appear from the outside.

Amen, brother.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 09:24:32 AM »
Who names their kid "Newt"  rolleyes
Avoid cliches like the plague!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 09:33:44 AM »
Funny little bit of trivia making the political rounds:
Of all the declared & potential Republican candidates, the only one to have had only one wife is the mormon (Mitt Romney).

As to Newt, I think he is a terrific principled conservative who may be damaged goods due to his marital past.  But, if Newt is toast because of his marital past, then Rudy "Cross-dressing, gungrabbing, gay-agenda-lip-servicing, nasty-divorcing" Giuliani is toast, too.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 11:11:02 AM »
From what I've seen so far, it appears I'll be voting Libertarian again.

I've squandered my vote far too many times on the lesser of two evils.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2006, 11:20:17 AM »
So, you'll settle for a third evil?   rolleyes
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2006, 12:54:18 PM »
the lefty crowd that mindlessly hates GW hates Newt just as much, they seem to like ghoulianni and mcclib...(this worries me) the MSM like ghoilianni and mcclib  like them too (barf).

I think we all register Dem and get Bill Richards in the White House.

I would vote for Newt , I just don't think he'll make it
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2006, 01:06:37 PM »
Newt is smart enough to know that he can't win. I suspect he's trying to help Republicans formulate new ideas, just as he did in 1994.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2006, 03:17:35 PM »
I have liked newt for many years.  He would be a great president.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2006, 03:21:31 PM »
He said in the interview that if there are no clear 'winner' candidates for the repubs by Sept, then he will run.

He seems like the kind of guy that could motivate the republican base, and thats where the win is at.
Would you vote for him?

Drew
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2006, 07:10:49 AM »
It would be interesting to see him run.  Political campaigns are focused on sound bites and bumper stickers.  Logical, reasoned, thoughtful discussion and debate is his means of communication while the media likes 4 second sound bites, infantile analysis, and horse race reportage.

Either the media will give Newt a haircut or he will simply destroy the prevailing media coverage.  Both can't win.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2006, 07:23:01 AM »
He seems like the kind of guy that could motivate the republican base, and thats where the win is at.
Would you vote for him?

I might vote for someone else in the primary, but if he's the nominee, I'll vote for him and encourage others to do the same. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ron

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2006, 08:09:20 AM »
but if he's the nominee, I'll vote for him and encourage others to do the same.

Me too, in case that wasn't clear from my earlier post.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2006, 02:44:21 PM »
Newt is an historian.  Probably one of the best of our time.  He is one of the few national figures who's intellectual understanding of the American experiment and the dream for the future is cogent.  He is one of a few with a vision for America.  He is one of the finest speakers around and no one would be able to hold a candle to him in a debate.  I wouldn't be surprised that he took on the marriage issue as well as the phony castigation he received regarding his book deal head on and put it to rest early.  I think he knows that the country is sick and tired of the political hatchet jobs that have been going on for several years.  He needs to preach the vision and never get off that track.  He needs to not engage in a pissing contest with the Democrat candidate.  Let the Dems take the low road.  That is what they do best, it seems, when it comes to lusting for power.

If he puts together a new contract with America, he can ride that very well and not even engage the democrats at all.  Ignore them and push his vision.   Clinton captured the White House by convincing people he was the New Democrat.  Newt can capture it by convincing people he is the Old Republican, a Theodore Roosevelt republican.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2006, 02:17:59 AM »
So, you'll settle for a third evil?   rolleyes
Hey, the LP is pure as the driven snow, never having been tainted by actually having to govern.

Get some LPs in a position of power and I bet their high-handed ways in persuit of Libertopia will put the Reps & Dems to shame.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton