Author Topic: music video  (Read 2067 times)

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
music video
« on: December 18, 2006, 07:30:54 PM »
"Open Season" by Stuck Mojo

Best song I've heard about the "religion of peace".

The music might not be everybody's cup of tea, but it's nice to see that not everybody has their head stuck in the sand.

I found this via Blackfive.net

The singer comments:

Call me an alarmist, but this is not about Iraq or the so called "War On Terrorism", this is about a worldwide movement that is compelled by spiritual teachings to convert us or kill us. It's not about Israel or America, if it was then why is this virus present in Algeria, Sudan, Somalia, Indonesia, the former Soviet Union, the Philippines, India, France, Spain and 1.5 million dead in Darfur. But I thought this whole thing was about Israel and America. Then why are Buddhist and Hindu temples set on fire and the followers of these peaceful religions attacked?.....

This video is NOT attacking Islam. This video is NOT lumping all followers of Islam in with the terrorists. No one in the Stuck Mojo organization is a racist or a bigot, but I refuse to ignore these events so as to keep from offending anyone.

If you don't like what I have to say, don't buy my album.

Respectfully, Rich Ward

Dannyboy

• friend
Re: music video
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 03:41:26 AM »
I saw that last night.  Not exactly my kind of music but I made an exception for this one.  Pretty cool.  The song, anyway.  The video is kinda lame.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Ron

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 04:14:02 AM »
You come in my hood...its open season

If President Bush and this administration did one thing this is the message they sent the Jihadists.

I like the song.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 04:27:17 AM »
The video is kinda lame.

Low budget.  Pretty funny.
 grin
This contry doesn't have the stomach to really end terrorism.  And we rely on the vehicle that brings it here....foriegn oil.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 08:59:21 AM »
Budget or no, the video is cheesy, especially the guitar player's "dancing."  I like the song, though.

I wonder how people will take it if they don't understand English.  Just from the video, it seems like it could be on either side. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 09:59:05 AM »
I don't think you'll see too many jihadi's using screen captures from memri.org though  grin

The video is cheezy, but then again videos in general are cheese.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 05:07:47 PM »

Call me an alarmist, but this is not about Iraq or the so called "War On Terrorism", this is about a worldwide movement that is compelled by spiritual teachings to convert us or kill us. It's not about Israel or America, if it was then why is this virus present in Algeria, Sudan, Somalia, Indonesia, the former Soviet Union, the Philippines, India, France, Spain and 1.5 million dead in Darfur. But I thought this whole thing was about Israel and America. Then why are Buddhist and Hindu temples set on fire and the followers of these peaceful religions attacked?.....

This video is NOT attacking Islam. This video is NOT lumping all followers of Islam in with the terrorists. No one in the Stuck Mojo organization is a racist or a bigot, but I refuse to ignore these events so as to keep from offending anyone.

If you don't like what I have to say, don't buy my album.

Respectfully, Rich Ward

While I deeply believe Mr Ward is entitled to his beliefs, I don't get the "NOT lumping all followers of Islam in with terrorists" when he strongly seems to imply it in his music video.  Granted, I couldn't understand the entire lyrics, so maybe I'm missing subtle words seperating the religion from the fundimentalists. 

I've had Muslim friends point out that the US has killed somewhere between 50k and 600k Muslims in Iraq alone, depending on methods of counting the dead and whom is responsible for which dead.  One of them commented that he wish the US would have just killed ten or twenty Muslim civilians for every victim of 9/11, it would have been much less bloody.  Not saying I agree or disagree, that's their opinion.

Me, I've seen mass graves filled with Christians and Muslims.  Filled by Christians and Muslims.  I think both groups have their share of blood thirsty lunatics, whom the world would be better off without. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 07:18:08 PM »
I've had Muslim friends point out that the US has killed somewhere between 50k and 600k Muslims in Iraq alone, ut. 

The vast majority of those were killed by their fellow Muslims, who were free to act after we took Saddam's boot off of their throats.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 07:37:45 PM »
This album also has a spoekn word track by Walid Shoebat. Interesting.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 07:49:08 PM »
Rev Disk,

Cherry-picking a few lines could give a bad impression of the song, but if one listens to the whole thing there is no doubt that the subject is Islamic terrorism and is not a blanket condemnation of the whole religion.  The video makes this perfectly clear.  I don't understand how you could see these "strong implications" that you claim.  That said, there may have been some lines I missed as well.

Your Muslim friends have a very silly view of the casualties of the current conflict.  You would not tolerate such fuzzy thinking on a lot of other subjects, so I don't know why you mention their fuzzy thinking as if it bore some relevance.  Whether or not Islam is a "religion of peace," it so happens the enemy fights in its name and brings down upon their region the warfare of the US and others.  The result is that a lot of Muslims get killed.  Why this should reflect poorly on the US is puzzling indeed. 

And then there is the obligatory moral equivalance canard.  "Oh, yeah, well Christians have killed people, too."  Sure, but what does that have to do with the Islamic terror problem we face now?  If you fear some anti-Muslim crusade, you should realize by now that's not going to happen.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 08:24:10 PM »
Lyrics are easy to google.

http://www.stuckmojomedia.com/sbk-lyrics.html#open

I was going to include them, but there is some salty language.

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2006, 10:27:21 PM »
I've had Muslim friends point out that the US has killed somewhere between 50k and 600k Muslims in Iraq alone,

Typical, and totally bent.  Even assuming the figures are accurate, the only way a person could make such a statement is if they believe every bad thing that happens in the Muslim world is the fault of the US.  And indeed that does seem to be the belief among many Muslims.  If they kill each other, it's still the fault of the US or Israel.  They accept NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANYTHING THEY DO.  EVER.  Anytime you point out an atrocity or outrageous belief, they will avoid the subject by bringing up some claim about Israel.  They are unable to come to terms with their own twisted core. 

Strings

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 12:24:39 AM »
Fatwa declared against Stuck Mojo in 5... 4... 3...

Lo.Com.Denom

• friend
  • Welcome to my world...
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2006, 06:25:27 AM »
Hmm, I used to listen to Stuck Mojo back when they did "Pigwalk". They've always had some pretty conservative views and they seem to be very pro-gun. Didn't see any blanket condemnation of Islam in the song or in the cheesy video, just the kind of sentiments that are regularly aired on THR and here.

FWIW, the rapper in the video is better than the one they used to have.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006, 07:33:32 AM »
Did anyone else wince at the "See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya" line?  How about when he ended a line with "trouble" and phoned in something about "double"?  He's probably better at writing raps than I am, but that is not a high standard. \

Still liked the song overall.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2006, 07:56:46 AM »
I'd be happier with more metal, less rap, but I still like it.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2006, 08:05:40 AM »
I don't think you'll see too many jihadi's using screen captures from memri.org though  grin

You're talking about using stuff from Middle-Eastern television?  Why not?  If the band were a bunch of crazy, terrorist-sympathizing Westerners, they might even use memri.org as the best source of jihadist material.  Or maybe I don't know what you mean. 

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2006, 09:51:51 AM »
Memri.org is a group that translates Arab media that the Arabs don't really want translated.

For example, when Mahmoud Abbas makes a nice speech in English and then speaks his real thoughts in Arabic, MEMRI translate the latter and puts it on the web.