Author Topic: Anybody know why insulated chimney prices are a state secret?  (Read 619 times)

tokugawa

• friend
Anybody know why insulated chimney prices are a state secret?
« on: December 21, 2006, 05:01:17 PM »
I just had a wood stove installed, and was looking at the price of parts the company gave me. What caught my eye was a #8 dektite flashing at $175- available online for $32.02. So I am curious about the rest of the system parts. particularly the Excel chimney parts. Nowhere on line can I find them- is this a setup where they just look at what kind of car you drive up in to figure how much they can hit you for?  I do not mind paying a premium - everybody needs to make a living -but normally a 100% markup is enough!!

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
Re: Anybody know why insulated chimney prices are a state secret?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 07:01:41 PM »
It is often difficult to get pricing for certain things because it is in the best interest of the sellers to keep it that way. Certain things just do not have enough market place presence to make for much competition.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

meinbruder

• friends
Re: Anybody know why insulated chimney prices are a state secret?
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 07:38:54 PM »
Available where online?  Please dont tell me ebay!  Without knowing the brand of  product, general availability in your area, and competing re-sellers its a hard question to answer.  A lifetime ago I sold modular fireplaces and wood stoves.  The local big box store gave away the fireboxes for nothing and then raped the buyer for the rest of the parts.  If I could get the buyer to hold still long enough to actually talk to me about their system, I could sell one to them.  Cheaper than the big box store.

I supposed the question begs to be asked.  Was that an installed price?  Flashing kits need to tear up the roof to properly seal against the weather.

Ilbob, wtf?  If there is a market a price is easy to determine, just ask the competitor.
}:)>
Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.....

Da bianhua
}:)>