Author Topic: My First Muzzleloader Hunt  (Read 762 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
My First Muzzleloader Hunt
« on: December 23, 2006, 04:43:21 PM »
So it wasn't big game, only dove, but what a blast!

I've been shooting BP for a few years now, with a Lyman GPR and an 1851 Navy revolver. Always just target shooting or plinking. I'm always thinking about taking the GPR out for pig, but just never get around to doing it.

So for my birthday a few days ago, I got a Cabela's BP 12 gauge SxS (the Pedrosolli made one). First thing I did after I figured loading out ( a bit different than a rifle) was to grab the dog and head for the winter wheat field at my folks' place. The doves are getting sparse and skittish now, but they're still out there. Stand hunting doesn't work right now -- you have to walk them up (and it's a lot of walking). So we scared our first dove up, pretty much out of range, but we both hunkered down, and pretty soon he did a 180 heading back towards us. He got in range, I pulled back a hammer, got him in my sights, pulled the trigger, and he kept on going. Rats -- the gun is still new and I pulled on the wrong trigger! Oh well. The next one though, came flying in over some citrus trees on an adjoining property. Got him in my sights, pulled the trigger (remembered which was which this time!) and with a big plume of smoke and a blackpowder "thu-a-whump!" he dropped right out of the sky, and my dog actually did a classic retrieve instead of her usual squirrely comedy act.

Anyway, it's probably not a big deal to most, but getting that one with the muzzleloader was like a flashback to the first bird I ever got with my first shotgun when I was a kid. We got a few more dove, and are going out the next couple of days as well. I'm totally hooked on the muzzloader bird hunting. I'm seriously thinking about hanging up the Red Label for next season and just using the BP shotgun. I'm sure it'll cut down on opportunities during reloading, but the quality factor of getting birds with it is just too cool for me right now. Smiley
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: My First Muzzleloader Hunt
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 04:58:42 PM »
Nifty!

I've had my eye on one of those blackpowder 12 guages for a while now.  I don't have any real reason to use it.  I don't shoot shotgun much.  I don't hunt, and I only shoot skeet occasionally.  But boy would it be cool to have a blackpowder double barrel shotgun!

Anyways, what do you think about blackpowder shotguns in general, and what do you think about that partocular gun?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 05:20:35 PM »
Don't know too much about other BP shotguns. I know there are quite a few Coach gun styles for Cowboy Action. I have just always heard really good things about the Pedrosolli as a hunting arm on the various forums. Besides the Cabela's version Pedrosolli sells several other versions under their own name, which you can find (I think still) at Thunder Ridge on the web.

I can say I'm completely impressed with mine. Build quality is excellent. It's traditionally styled with straight stock. The only "modern" things are the chrome lined barrels (suitable for steel if you use a shot cup) and the choke tubes. I would have been happy with fixed IC and Mod chokes, but they were only available in the 20 gauge, and my understanding of BP shotguns is that a 12 gauge BP is somewhat equivalent to a modern 20 gauge. I wanted to keep some versatility, so didn't want to go smaller than the 12.

The gun is really well balanced. The last time I shot a SxS was many moons ago, so can't remember if that one felt the same, but I think I like the SxS feel and balance more than I do that of my O/U.

Anyway, long story longer, highly recommended if you're looking for a versatile BP shotgun.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 01:49:22 AM »
So many guns, so little time...  sad

grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2006, 05:05:21 PM »