Author Topic: Some punks egged my wife's car  (Read 2601 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Some punks egged my wife's car
« on: November 08, 2007, 06:01:13 PM »
Sometime between 10 pm last night and 7 pm this morning, some punks egged my wife's car. That car is her baby, and both of us are really ticked off.

They hit the car pretty hard. Not just a light scratch. We have a $250 comp deductible, so it looks like I'll try to hand-buff the area. I used to buff cars with a power buffer, but that was over 20 years ago.

Too bad we don't live in Texas, where I could shoot the little bastards.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
Re: Some punks egged my wife's car
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 06:31:00 PM »
ahhh, the importance of a GOOD wax job.......
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 06:48:32 PM »
More than scratches in the car? Were the dam things frozen?
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 07:04:49 PM »
It was cold out last night, so the egg didn't have a chance to bake on.

Like I said, they hit it pretty hard. The spot on the paint where the egg hit is dulled, and there's white specks around it. Don't know if those are pieces of eggshell or maybe primer showing through. I'll know better tomorrow when I can get a good look at it in the light.

With all the stuff punks are doing around here, I wish I could afford surveillance cameras with night vision capability and a taping system.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 01:20:55 AM »
It was cold out last night, so the egg didn't have a chance to bake on.

Like I said, they hit it pretty hard. The spot on the paint where the egg hit is dulled, and there's white specks around it. Don't know if those are pieces of eggshell or maybe primer showing through. I'll know better tomorrow when I can get a good look at it in the light.

With all the stuff punks are doing around here, I wish I could afford surveillance cameras with night vision capability and a taping system.

Or a mean dog. Or landmines. I hate vandals.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 02:11:25 AM »
Aren't cameras pretty cheap now? How about a fake camera, or one of those black spheres that houses a camera to scare off vandals.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 02:21:36 AM »
You may or may not be able to rub it out; eggshell can chip the paint down to the primer. 

I used to work in a body shop, and we had lots of walk-ins after Devil's Night.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 04:30:48 AM »
Those IR wildlife cameras aren't too much now, in the mid $200's.  Its only stills, but it may be a consideration.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 04:48:51 AM »
Dick

The body shop might have to repaint the area, you might surprised at the price of the service. Egg does a nasty thing of lifting paint and clear coat. May those little bastards get what they deserve.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Big_R

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 08:16:10 AM »
Cameras are most effective when they act as a deterrant (otherwise, they're only an electronic witness).  I heard about a guy who bought one of the fake cameras and attached one of those battery powered flashing red lights that go on bicycles to it.  Sounds like it worked very well since the bad guys saw the light and noticed the camera (albeit a fake one).

Ryan

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 08:53:22 AM »
Years back I built a fake camera for some friends.  A junko (broken an not worth fixing) camera lens, a Radio Shack project box, a few feet of old TV cable, and some superglue.  For effect I used a blinking LED powered through the TV cable using an old DC transformer (Save those things. They can come in mighty handy at times!).  It only took a few minutes to cobble together, and that with taking time to grommet and shrink-wrap the cable as a finishing touch.  I even did some fanciness with pressure-transfer lettering for that 'official' look.  From anything more than a few feet away it looked like the real thing.

Then the beer kicked in and I started dreaming about how neat it would be to throw in an oscillating fan mechanism.  But that's another story...  grin

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 08:56:57 AM »
Earlier this week, one of the neighborhood kids was racing through the neighborhood, spun out and bounced off two cars parked on the street.  One of them was my 1986 Mazda pickup.  He smashed the left rear panel, broke the tailight lens and ripped off the left bumper.  I have had that truck for 22 years, and this was the first accident it was ever in.  The parents want to handle it outside their insurance, and I am taking it in for a body shop estimate on Monday.  I have to think that finding parts is going to be a bear.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 09:24:18 AM »
The parents want to handle it outside their insurance,

Danger! Danger, Will Robinson!

I can almost guarantee they will have personally understimated the cost of the repair by at least fifty percent.  When you give them the body shop estimates prepare for stares, stammers, and at least one "Like hell I'm going to pay that!"

Get your estimates immediately and present them promptly.  Don't give the parents time to think about it, and dang sure don't fall into the "we have a buddy at a different shop" trap.  Whatever you do get the check from them right then and there and take it to the bank or sign it over to the body shop immediately.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 09:54:25 AM »
That is my concern as well, and I would frankly be happier if the insurance was already involved.  I suspect that the estimate may prompt them to notify their insurance company.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 01:39:51 PM »
Would that you could do this.....

http://www.thesentrygun.com/

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2007, 01:43:21 PM »
That is my concern as well, and I would frankly be happier if the insurance was already involved.  I suspect that the estimate may prompt them to notify their insurance company.

Is there at least a police report filed on the accident?  If not, file one.  The insurance companies usually require on before they will pay.

Brad
-HankB

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2007, 02:28:37 PM »
Earlier this week, one of the neighborhood kids was racing through the neighborhood, spun out and bounced off two cars parked on the street.  One of them was my 1986 Mazda pickup.  He smashed the left rear panel, broke the tailight lens and ripped off the left bumper.  I have had that truck for 22 years, and this was the first accident it was ever in.  The parents want to handle it outside their insurance, and I am taking it in for a body shop estimate on Monday.  I have to think that finding parts is going to be a bear.

Don't let them cover up for their worthless brat. Make it go through the insurance, and make sure a police report is filed. The SOB should have been charged with reckless driving...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2007, 03:22:41 PM »
I took off work early today and called or visited four body shops.  Two of them told me outright that they do not work on cars that old.  One of them would work on it, but was not optimistic that they could find parts for that old of a truck.   Their estimate was $ 2800 assuming they could find the parts outside of a junkyard.  The final body shop also was pessimistic about finding the parts, but their appraiser went back to check the computer.  In three minutes she came back grinning from ear to ear and said that Mazda must have sold about a million of those trucks, since they are still making the parts for them.  She found all the necessary parts in a warehouse in Western Washington.  Their estimate was $ 2600. 

In talking with my neighbor across the street, his son owns the other car that was hit, a 1987 Honda Accord.  He also had problems finding shops that would work on a car that old, but eventually got three estimates, from $ 1500 to 1800. 

I am going to drop off a copy of the estimate for my neighbor and suggest that they call the insurance company, since they are already up to over $ 4000 for the damage to the two cars, not to mention their son's car.  In the alternative, if they want to give me a certified check for $ 2600 payable to the body shop, I would accept that.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2007, 11:21:35 AM »
In three minutes she came back grinning from ear to ear and said that Mazda must have sold about a million of those trucks, since they are still making the parts for them.

That's because Mazda didn't make 'em.  Ford did.

Brad
-HankB

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2007, 11:42:25 AM »
The body shop can go 10% above and beyond the estimate. I'd let the parents know that, so that they're prepared. I'd wait until the work was completed and a final invoice was done before I accepted a check from them. (or something along those lines)
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2007, 12:19:02 PM »
In three minutes she came back grinning from ear to ear and said that Mazda must have sold about a million of those trucks, since they are still making the parts for them.

That's because Mazda didn't make 'em.  Ford did.

Brad

Actually, no.  At least, not mine.  Mine has a sticker on the door frame giving the manufacture date and location: August 1985 at the Mazda auto plant in Hiroshima, Japan.  And this was before Ford bought the 25% stake in Mazda, I believe.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2007, 12:20:54 PM »
Yeah, I forgot they had two models then.  It was the B4000 that was a rebadged Ranger.

Brad
-HankB

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2007, 12:22:37 PM »
I'd be very surprised if the insurance companies didn't call the vehicles involved totalled.

BTW, the white flecks around the spot where the egg hit are primer. Since the car is black, the whole door would need to be repainted.

I'd love to introduce that punk's head to my Tony Lama's.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2007, 03:50:08 PM »
Suggestion?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2007, 07:59:27 PM »

Is there at least a police report filed on the accident?  If not, file one.  The insurance companies usually require on before they will pay.

Brad
Not only that, in many states if the amount of damage exceeds some pre-set amount the LAW requires that a report be filed. In this case, you were not moving so you don't have to file anything. But the kid who was racing through a residential neighborhood would be required to, and if he hasn't ... you have him (and his parents) by the proverbial short hairs.

IF tyour state has that requirement.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design