Author Topic: What if God favors your enemy?  (Read 11761 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
What if God favors your enemy?
« on: November 11, 2007, 02:29:26 PM »
In war, the people in charge nearly always reference God during the "motivational" speech to the troops.  The Generals urge the troops to fight with bravery, because, "God is on our side," or Allah, if your part of Al Queda.  Or whoever you choose to worship; the name is irrelevent.

The idea is to motivate the troops by telling them that if God is with them, then they will fight harder, longer, stronger, better, etc.  The troops will have less fear because they are on the side of righteousness.

But the enemy leaders are giving the same speech to their troops.  Both sides can't be right, can they?

So, here's the question:  If you were a soldier preparing for war, would a speech that references God/Allah/religion given by your commanders motivate you?

Using the war in the mid-east as an example, would you feel that you are on the "right" side if you were a U.S. soldier?  What if you were an Iraqi or Al Queda?

Going back to WWII, would you feel that you a "right" if your were a Christian German soldier?

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: What if God favors your enemy?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 02:41:14 PM »
So, here's the question:  If you were a soldier preparing for war, would a speech that references God/Allah/religion given by your commanders motivate you?

Using the war in the mid-east as an example, would you feel that you are on the "right" side if you were a U.S. soldier?  What if you were an Iraqi or Al Queda?

Going back to WWII, would you feel that you a "right" if your were a Christian German soldier?

Depends.  If my commander said "God/Allah/Buddha/FSM tells me that killing infidels who deny his noodly appendage is a good thing.  Kill them in his name, Ramen."  I'd get kinda nervous.   If he says "God willing, we'll make it through", I wouldn't be.

Everyone likes to think their side is just and righteous.  You wouldn't get many willing intelligent and skilled volunteers who thought their side was in the wrong. 

As for the Iraqis, it's a bit more simple.  It's their land.  Even religion pales in comparison to a man depending his home.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 04:24:48 PM »
I guess then it depends on who has the bigger/better god  laugh
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 04:37:52 PM »
Don't be silly. The divine always favors "us" and hates "them".

brennankg

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 06:14:35 PM »
Don't be silly. The divine always favors "us" and hates "them".

CAnnoneer, EXACTLY!
Therein lies the safety net of the zealous.
Zealots know they are the favored, and their faith is its own proof.
 angel

B.

Ron

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 06:32:06 PM »
When it comes to war and my positions regarding war I just hope and pray that Gods mercy does truly endureth forever.

Trying to justify war in light of the teachings of Christ is an act of contortion IMHO.

I don't try and justify war, it is just an ugly reality.

griz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 02:24:09 AM »
Yep, both sides like to think they have G-d on their side and people are certainly more inspired when fighting for their home.  In reality, given armys of equal size, G-d favors the side that is better armed.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 08:13:43 AM »
References to God in speaches to soliders are no different than references to Mom, Apple Pie, and Ford Trucks.

You know during WW II the Germans were motivating their troops with references to Mutter, Streudel, and Volkswagons.

Speaches like that are less an appeal to divine intervention than they are an effort at tapping into a soldier's shared cultural heritage.

In this day and age not as many people are willing to fight and die for god as there were 500 years ago, but there are lots of people who are more than willing to fight, and possibly die, protecting that shared cultural heritage.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Len Budney

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 08:56:56 AM »
...there are lots of people who are more than willing to fight, and possibly die, protecting that shared cultural heritage.

The irony being that in 99 cases out of 100, they aren't protecting any such thing. Most US wars, for example, have been non-defensive foreign wars, in which the Constitution has been steadily eroded. So they're really fighting for the rulers' whims and attacking their own heritage at the same time. At least religion offers apple pie in the sky--which is a good deal since that's where most of the soldiers are likely to end up.

--Len.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 09:00:29 AM »
 rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 10:25:57 AM »
In war, the people in charge nearly always reference God during the "motivational" speech to the troops.  The Generals urge the troops to fight with bravery, because, "God is on our side," or Allah, if your part of Al Queda.  Or whoever you choose to worship; the name is irrelevent.

The idea is to motivate the troops by telling them that if God is with them, then they will fight harder, longer, stronger, better, etc.  The troops will have less fear because they are on the side of righteousness.

But the enemy leaders are giving the same speech to their troops.  Both sides can't be right, can they?

http://www.amazon.com/Terror-Mind-God-Religious-Comparative/dp/0520240111

That is an excellent explanation of the beliefs behind religious terrorism.  He looks at the Christian terrorists in Ireland and the USA, Muslim terrorists in the Middle East, Buddhist terrorists in Japan, Hindu and Sikh terrorists in India, and Jewish terrorists in Israel.  And he draws some startling conclusions and explanations.  But in the end the general idea is that all terrorists don't believe they are wrong. 

slzy

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 10:43:17 AM »
i figure all war is holy. either you have god on your side,or you find out about that fear of the lord thing pretty quick. either way,you go to heaven as individuals,not by unit.

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2007, 11:24:03 AM »
Only if we had either the Lost Ark or the Spear of Destiny...
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2007, 11:59:46 AM »
What about the Pick of Destiny? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2007, 01:58:35 PM »
Something I always wonder about that when I fly.  Everyone tells you, "Don't worry, you won't go until it's your time."  Okay.  But what if it's the pilot's time?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2007, 03:37:09 PM »
In this day and age not as many people are willing to fight and die for god as there were 500 years ago, but there are lots of people who are more than willing to fight, and possibly die, protecting that shared cultural heritage.

I do see a decline in the power of central organized religion of the militant variety as a very decent step forward. 

Folks however will always be willing to fight for their home turf.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2007, 04:15:54 PM »
No, I'm an athiest. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2007, 04:23:36 PM »
To get me to buy into that you'd first have to get me to buy into the whole all seeing, all knowing all loving god thing. I just can't accept some supernatural being mucking about in the lives of people and needing to be worshiped and adored. Granting the odd miracle and then allowing 6 year olds to get leukemia and child rapists. If I'm wrong and there is a God I got a bone to pick with that heartless SOB.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2007, 06:40:09 PM »
As for the Iraqis, it's a bit more simple.  It's their land.  Even religion pales in comparison to a man depending his home.

Ummmmm .... right. That's why the Sunnis are killing the Shiites, the Shiites are killing the Sunnis, and both the Sunnis and the Shiites are killing the Kurds. All within their "home" country.

Yup. Makes sense to me.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

jeepmor

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2007, 07:29:36 PM »
Gods have been used as an excuse for heinous crimes against humanity since the dawn of time.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.

"Oh, so now you're saying they don't have a right to whine about their First Amendment rights?  Fascist."  -fistul

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2007, 07:36:58 PM »
To get me to buy into that you'd first have to get me to buy into the whole all seeing, all knowing all loving god thing. I just can't accept some supernatural being mucking about in the lives of people and needing to be worshiped and adored. Granting the odd miracle and then allowing 6 year olds to get leukemia and child rapists. If I'm wrong and there is a God I got a bone to pick with that heartless SOB.

Misotheism, meaning "hatred of deity".  Very popular in more than a few Nordic legends, and some Greek ones.  Most of the legends involve some deity picking on a mortal, and the mortal finally getting the courage to tell off said deity. 

Maltheism, belief that a god or gods are evil. The standard joke is "An atheist would be a maltheist if the Bible was proveably true."   

Dystheism is fairly related, in which believing a deity is not wholly good, but not intrinsically evil.  Mainly Trickster deities such as Loki, Eshu, etc.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2007, 08:08:02 PM »
"Klingons have no gods because ancient Klingon heroes killed them 1,000 years ago."

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2007, 02:03:51 AM »
If god is on their side at least I have the tooth fairy. 

Allies from fairy tales are only good for building morale in the gullible.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2007, 06:39:26 AM »
God favors better military technology and organization.  Running the universe is not for wimps.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2007, 12:10:39 PM »
I thought God favored the side with the best artillery, or so Napoleon tells me.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon