Author Topic: What if God favors your enemy?  (Read 11759 times)

Kaylee

• friend
Re: What if God favors your enemy?
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2007, 09:57:28 PM »
Just because God is long suffering and gracious, don't mistake that for lack of care. Where did that ridiculous line "why do bad things happen to good people" come from? The better question would be "why do good things happen to bad people".

Again, well said.

The unspoken assumption seems to be that God has an obligation to stop other people from doing bad things, but not to stop any given speaker from doing "less bad" things. Who gets to draw the line for whether a sin is "bad enough" for God to stop? If I fault God for failing to stop a genocide, am I not saying as well He should strike me down for infidelity? What about gossip and slander?  How much of your free will are willing to surrender in order for others get what they deserve? Are you willing to truly get what you deserve?

To the more natural problems of wretched lifetimes .. the old retorts come back. "I want to ask God why He allows such things to happen....  but I'm afraid He'd ask me the very same thing." Do we have the right to ask why God does not bend heaven and earth to feed a hungry child if we're not willing to forgo a single luxury to do it ourselves? Oh sure, some of us give to charity - some quite generously. But none of us as much as we could. The very fact that we're posting on an internet forum means every. single. one. of us values this recreation over another human life we could purchase back from famine somewhere in the world, but choose not to.

There is not one of us with the moral authority to decry God for not doing what we ourselves won't give up just a bit of play to do.

I always found it interesting that people used God as a war rally. Especially when unleashing death and destruction on another group fighting for their God. Maybe this shows that there is no God.

Alternately, it shows God's patience with even the worst humanity has to offer.

"Let he who is without sin...." as it were.

Can I please use that as a sig?
Oh, it didn't originate with me for certain sure. But yeah, go ahead. Smiley

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2007, 03:02:20 AM »
Cannoneer.  Man was created in God's image by God.  However, man is a flawed copy due to man's choices.  Yes, God is similar to man, just as the original is similar to a fifth generation Xerox copy.

If we follow fistful's line of thought, wouldn't the above be an argument in favor of an incompetent fumbling creator?

Also, while I can see that some challenge may be a useful educational tool in light of free choice and all, it seems most of daily life's drudgeries are dull, repetitive chores. If indeed mortal life as we know it is basic training for something beyond, the level of chickenshit and fannying-about is abominably high.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2007, 04:53:23 AM »
Cannoneer.  Man was created in God's image by God.  However, man is a flawed copy due to man's choices.  Yes, God is similar to man, just as the original is similar to a fifth generation Xerox copy.

If we follow fistful's line of thought, wouldn't the above be an argument in favor of an incompetent fumbling creator?

Also, while I can see that some challenge may be a useful educational tool in light of free choice and all, it seems most of daily life's drudgeries are dull, repetitive chores. If indeed mortal life as we know it is basic training for something beyond, the level of chickenshit and fannying-about is abominably high.
Did you ever go through a military's basic training?  If yes, you would realize a similar proportion of chickenshit prevails there, too.

Also, that level of dull drudgery is endemic to first-world countries.  In third-world countries, folks have a bit more excitement & tension while they avoid being killed by genocidal despots, finding enough food to eat, and just making it through the day. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Kaylee

• friend
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2007, 08:28:57 AM »
No, because you missed the part about "due to man's choices." And if you wish to argue that God should have created an "unfallable man" instead, you're stuck with whether you'd really prefer a life without any meaningful choice. Either we're free to make decisions that can affect ourselves and the world around us, or we're not.

So far as "dull drudgery" - that's entirely on you. You want an exciting life, go make one. Absolutely nothing is stopping you from stepping away from the computer, liquidating your assets, and exploring the world on foot while sleeping under bridges. Sure it won't be comfortable, but it will be exciting. Again - if that's what you really want.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2007, 09:05:29 AM »

If you forget the part about God being God.  Does being created in the image of God mean that you are perfect?  No, not anymore than a statue of you has all of your qualities of weight, height, etc.  Does your God-likeness mean that God has all the flaws that you do?  No, not anymore than your characteristics are exactly the same as your father's or mother's. 

So does the level of child-rape, people being burned alive, slavery, etc.  But such is our mortal perspective.  If one believes in God, the question is whether one trusts the judgment of God to allow suffering or unhappiness, even when we cannot see its purpose.  Some will, some will not. 

CAnnoneer, if you're really interested in this, there are innumerable books written on this subject.  As you may know, it's the question of theodicy.   
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2007, 11:55:43 AM »
fistful, it seems to me you are trying to have it both ways. If the divine is a competent creator, why create imperfections, e.g. flawed humans, both physically and mentally? If the imperfections are intentional, meant as educational tools, why are the tools themselves obviously inefficient to the stated purpose, e.g. as witnessed by the colossal loss of time built into the system? If you are aware of books on the subject that make a logical self-consistent argument, please summarize.

jfruser, I recognize we have it easier than others, but that point is lateral to the thrust of the discussion.

Kaylee, most of the drudgery is not due to man's choices. It is by construction through physical laws and biological imperatives. Examples: most people spend roughly a third of their lives sleeping and another third making a living. The final third has to account for routine, such as cooking and washing, as well as anything of transcendent significance. Ergo, the blatant inefficiency and wastage.

Risasi

• friend
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2007, 01:01:18 PM »
CAnnoneer,

You keep alluding to the same questions or statements about God. And while I doubt the sincerity of your questions I will answer you according to what the bible says on the subject.

Why does God allow such suffering to happen? Does God care about the things he created? God; incompetent boob, or senile grandfatherly old type?

The number one reason that God allows such things to happen is that ultimately all of this will manifest his great glory when he returns to reign on earth. He being the God who created all things, who IS before time began. (This is Jesus Christ, who came as a man, died for all sins, and rose again bodily. Then ascended into the third heaven.)

And not only that, but it is the grand story of the redemption of mankind. God is spoken of as the God of war, God of peace, the God of love. But not love as we think. This God who is angry with the sinner every day, yet loved the world enough to die for all who would believe. It's a principled love.
This God, for who no thought can occur to him, he can't learn, he already knows all things. He cannot change, nor can he lie. This God who is a consuming fire, yet gracious forgiving God. This God who was at one time laughing in derision, but now has gone silent, and will one day bring his great wrath and fury to bear upon Israel (who are HIS people, don't mess with them), Satan and the world. This God who allowed thought and free choice by angels and men, this is the same one who will restore order to chaos and reign on earth.

In short that is what the bible says about why God allows such things. And what I have just said is paltry, really. The scriptures do a far better job of explaining themselves.

The big question is whether or not you believe it? If you do, fine. You are on the winning side.

If not, anybody who does is clearly a lunatic and wasting their lives - you should probably avoid them.  grin   

Len Budney

« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2007, 05:50:55 AM »
fistful, it seems to me you are trying to have it both ways. If the divine is a competent creator, why create imperfections, e.g. flawed humans, both physically and mentally? If the imperfections are intentional, meant as educational tools, why are the tools themselves obviously inefficient...

Efficiency is meaningful only in the context of scarcity. We economize time because time is limited. We economize resources because resources are limited. Why would an eternal being "economize" an infinite resource like time?

--Len.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2007, 06:33:37 AM »
fistful, it seems to me you are trying to have it both ways. If the divine is a competent creator, why create imperfections, e.g. flawed humans, both physically and mentally?

They weren't created with imperfections. All the evil and drudgery in the world are the result of the original humans choice to sin. Humans introduced those things into the world. That's why God hates sin so much; "sin" isn't some meaningless offense against a made up law. As IIRC Tozer said "God hates sin the way a mother hates the polio that kills her child."

Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2007, 07:22:48 AM »
Efficiency is meaningful only in the context of scarcity. We economize time because time is limited. We economize resources because resources are limited. Why would an eternal being "economize" an infinite resource like time?

Except we are talking about the wastage from the viewpoint of mortal existence being an educational tool for mortals. The longevity of the divine is irrelevant here. If we are to learn something beyond shedding the mortal coil, the world is certainly built on a fundamental level in a way exceedingly non-conducive to the stated goal. Then we have to reconcile the obvious inefficiency with the idea of a beneficent competent omniscient omnipotent deity. It does not add up.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2007, 07:28:12 AM »
They weren't created with imperfections. All the evil and drudgery in the world are the result of the original humans choice to sin. Humans introduced those things into the world. That's why God hates sin so much; "sin" isn't some meaningless offense against a made up law. As IIRC Tozer said "God hates sin the way a mother hates the polio that kills her child."

Who created the snake and the apple? Who created  subjects #1 and #2 in a way that they could be tempted? Why is knowledge evil? Why doesn't an omnipotent diety eradicate that which it hates?

Len Budney

« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2007, 07:44:24 AM »

Except we are talking about the wastage from the viewpoint of mortal existence being an educational tool for mortals.

Our inconvenience and "waste" is in some sense irrelevant--like a dairy farmer worrying that his cows might be bored with the prospect of doing nothing but making milk for him. Each mortal's time is finite, but the supply of fresh mortals is essentially unlimited.

--Len.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2007, 07:51:03 AM »
Who created the snake and the apple? Who created  subjects #1 and #2 in a way that they could be tempted? Why is knowledge evil? Why doesn't an omnipotent diety eradicate that which it hates?

"The snake" was created perfect to. Temptation is an inevitable consequence of free choice. God could eliminate evil; by eradicating your ability to choose. You really want that?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Moondoggie

• friend
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2007, 08:02:27 AM »
I am always amazed/amused by folks who seem to think anyone comprehends the nature/intent/character or characteristics of the creator of a universe/existence that none of us can even begin to understand or appreciate.  I think it's even more astounding that a great many of us accept that folks who lived thousands or years ago automatically knew more about God than we do today.

"God is this or that",  "God says this or that", "God intends this or that", "God favors this side or that side"...as if anybody has the slighest chance of knowing god's will.  One person telling another person that they have the answer is the most ridiculous concept in the history of mankind.  One person (or group)enforcing their ideas or will upon another based upon their "understanding" of god is one of the greatest tragedies in the history of mankind.  The whole concept has much to do with power and very little to do with "god".

Yawn..... next subject.

My answer to the original question would be....nope.

Peace to the planet.
Known from coast to coast, almost!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2007, 09:26:51 AM »
I am always amazed/amused by folks who seem to think anyone comprehends the nature/intent/character or characteristics of the creator of a universe/existence that none of us can even begin to understand or appreciate.  I think it's even more astounding that a great many of us accept that folks who lived thousands or years ago automatically knew more about God than we do today.

"God is this or that",  "God says this or that", "God intends this or that", "God favors this side or that side"...as if anybody has the slighest chance of knowing god's will.  One person telling another person that they have the answer is the most ridiculous concept in the history of mankind. 

If someone claims they know everything there is to know about God, I'd be a little amused, too.  If they claimed to figure it out by themselves, they'd be even sillier.  But if someone claims that God has revealed certain things about Himself, so that we can know some things about Him, that would be quite reasonable.  Christianity would fall under that heading. 

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2007, 03:06:59 PM »
Our inconvenience and "waste" is in some sense irrelevant--like a dairy farmer worrying that his cows might be bored with the prospect of doing nothing but making milk for him. Each mortal's time is finite, but the supply of fresh mortals is essentially unlimited.

Len, this viewpoint would clash with the idea of a beneficient deity. So, we would end up with a contradiction again.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2007, 03:13:05 PM »
"The snake" was created perfect to. Temptation is an inevitable consequence of free choice. God could eliminate evil; by eradicating your ability to choose. You really want that?

Then what you are saying is that the divine intended for the mortals to be tempted by something the divine created. If the snake is evil, then the divine created evil, something a beneficient deity would not do.

Also, I am not certain free choice necessitates the existence of evil. There are a bunch of important choices about existence, which have little to do with good or evil.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2007, 03:22:22 PM »
I think it's even more astounding that a great many of us accept that folks who lived thousands or years ago automatically knew more about God than we do today.

That bothers me too. If anything, the folks back then knew much less about the universe than we do today, yet their opinions and literary products are given disproportionately large, almost exclusive authority. It is also amusing to me when old "editions" are discovered that contain alternative renditions, yet they do not seem to change the official positions in any meaningful way. It certainly seems like a selective reading to me.

It seems to me it would make more sense to try to use logic to produce a self-consistent system of beliefs based on ALL available sources.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2007, 07:48:45 PM »
fistful, it seems to me you are trying to have it both ways.

I understand why you might see it that way.  Perhaps you expect Christian doctrine to be the sort of children's fairy tale that comes in a few primary colors.  If it were, I don't think I'd believe it either.  Reality is too messy for such simple explanations.  Nor does reality allow for the kind of dream-world that you would expect a God to create.  Perfect beings that simply can not be tempted?  I'm not sure even God could create such chimeras.  The God of which I speak has a perfection that would be impossible to share.  Let's say God could create another perfect being like himself.  The very idea is problematic.  Part of God's perfection is that he was not created, nor does he have a starting point.  He simply exists.  As you may know, the Bible calls Him "the I Am."     

If the divine is a competent creator, why create imperfections, e.g. flawed humans, both physically and mentally?  If the imperfections are intentional, meant as educational tools, why are the tools themselves obviously inefficient to the stated purpose, e.g. as witnessed by the colossal loss of time built into the system?

I don't think that's the view that I presented.  If I gave that impression, I apologize.  The very fact that humans and animals (and the universe itself) were created by another is a mark against our perfection.  We are not self-existent, independent beings.  But let us say that, undeterred by this, God went on to make beings that were as perfect as circumstances would allow.  This is what the Bible describes. 

After God created the heavens, earth, humans, etc, he said that it was Good.  There was no drudgery or other unpleasantness.  Adam and Eve (and Lucifer) fell, not due to some poor design on God's part, but due to their very excellence.  They had no physical weakness, no mental or emotional deficiency, no anxiety over whether God loved them, nor any lack of self-esteem.  They had no long list of difficult rules, such as the law of Moses. 

Naturally, such nearly perfect beings thought themselves qualified to make their own rules about morality, just as you and I have also tried to do in the course of our lives.  It is conceivable that God could have built into them some mechanism to enforce some humility on their minds, to keep them from testing His laws.  But would such allow for independent thought or real choice, real morality, real love?  Wouldn't we despise such folk as slavish dolts? 

Who created the snake and the apple? Who created  subjects #1 and #2 in a way that they could be tempted? Why is knowledge evil?
I don't think anyone here claimed that knowledge is evil.  Gen. 3.22:  "Behold, the man has become like one of Us, knowing good and evil."  In other words, Mankind chose to make up its own mind about good and evil, rather than letting God decide.  This was the only knowledge that was forbidden.  If God had made humankind like animals, without human awareness or rationality, we would not have been capable of sin.  But we would have been that much further removed from perfection.   

The snake and apple were both created by God.  As I have mentioned earlier, the snake (Lucifer) was not created to be an evil being.  He chose to become so, for much the same reasons as A & E did.  The "apple," really the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, was also created by God, and why God would create such a thing is an intriguing question.  The command not to eat of the tree is analogous to all the other commands of God, especially those we cannot understand.  I believe God put it in the Garden to give Adam and Eve a very clear choice about whether they would obey or not.  They were going to assert their own judgment over God's eventually, the "apple" made the choice immediate and clear, so that they could appreciate exactly what they were doing, rather than wandering into sin by negligence. 

If the imperfections are intentional, meant as educational tools, why are the tools themselves obviously inefficient to the stated purpose, e.g. as witnessed by the colossal loss of time built into the system?

Here's where I think you're not understanding the Christian view point that most of us are espousing.  Imperfections are not God's intention at all.  Nor do we believe that God created evil, or that He can be blamed for its existence.  These were things that humans (and some angels) insisted on having.  We refused to simply live perfect and easy lives as God intended.  This is not to say that anyone wants to be born with a birth defect or to be victimized by some random crime.  But God does not want that either.  He allows it because He respects the free will of His creatures, and as part of a plan intended for the maximum benefit of all mankind.  It is also a mistake to believe that, if God allows harm to befall a small child, he is therefore not benevolent.  God is not morally required to prevent harm to us.  We have all sinned against him, and deserve maximum punishment.  In truth, God grants us grace every day, in the form of oxygen, food, warmth, shelter, clothing, the love of family members, etc.  We deserve none of these things.  But what about the child who grows to hate God because of his horrific childhood?  God could have put them in Eden.  But we saw how that worked out.   

The tools are inefficient?  Compared to what?  One stands on shaky ground when one claims that one can create a better world than the current scheme.  (It would also be fun to charge you with Utopian socialism, but I won't be that cruel.  Tongue )  But, really, we have no way of knowing whether a better world might have been created.  This may well be the best of all possible worlds.

Why doesn't an omnipotent diety eradicate that which it hates?
As pointed out, God would have to eliminate your own humanity, in order to do so.  Unless you would prefer to be destroyed entirely.  We might wish for God to strike down the terrorists and pedophiles and those who talk in the theater.  But if He were to strike down all the sinners, then their victims would have to go as well.  Nobody's perfect.  He would have to destroy humankind altogether, or degrade them to an animal existence without choice or reason.  Even the Final Judgment of Hell is not "eradication," but a reward.  Sinners choose a life apart from God, and God grants that. 

If the divine is a competent creator, why create imperfections, e.g. flawed humans, both physically and mentally? 
  God does not create imperfections, although He may often allow them.  As I said, the creation was originally without flaw.  If God wished to eradicate all imperfection, he would have to destroy both of us.  Even well-behaved, clean-cut boys like cosine and carebear would not escape.   smiley

If you are aware of books on the subject that make a logical self-consistent argument, please summarize.
I haven't read any books that deal specifically with theodicy.  The first one I would read is The Problem of Pain, because it's hard to go wrong with C.S. Lewis.  For general questions about Christian apologetics, I would recommend the Case For... series by Lee Strobel.  Books consisting of interviews with prominent philosophers and theologians, they are a decent introduction.  The Case for Faith would be most apropos to this topic.  You might also try Making Sense Out of Suffering by Peter Kreeft, Where is God When It Hurts? by Philip Yancy, When God Weeps by Joni Eareckson Tada and Steven Estes, and Where is God When Bad Things Happen? by Luis Palau.  Those are listed in Strobel's bibliography.  There's another book called, When Good Things Happen to Bad People.  Don't recall the author. 

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2007, 07:56:26 PM »
It seems to me it would make more sense to try to use logic to produce a self-consistent system of beliefs based on ALL available sources. 
Assuming you mean all available reliable sources, I agree.  See you in church, brother.  cheesy

It is also amusing to me when old "editions" are discovered that contain alternative renditions, yet they do not seem to change the official positions in any meaningful way. It certainly seems like a selective reading to me.
If you're talking about Christian writings and beliefs, I think you've been sold a bill of goods.  Are you talking about the so-called Gnostic gospels, or what? 

Len Budney

« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2007, 09:51:30 AM »

Len, this viewpoint would clash with the idea of a beneficient deity. So, we would end up with a contradiction again.

Only because you're using the wrong definition of "beneficent." Hint: it doesn't mean "gives me lots of candy." That's a definition one hopefully outgrows by age five.

--Len.

griz

• friend
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2007, 02:53:33 PM »
But if someone claims that God has revealed certain things about Himself, so that we can know some things about Him, that would be quite reasonable.

There have been conflicting things "revealed" to different people.  Are they all reasonable?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2007, 03:09:36 PM »
Only because you're using the wrong definition of "beneficent." Hint: it doesn't mean "gives me lots of candy." That's a definition one hopefully outgrows by age five.

Webster: beneficent 
Main Entry: be?nef?i?cent 
Pronunciation: \-sənt\
Function: adjective
Etymology: back-formation from beneficence
Date: 1616
1: doing or producing good; especially : performing acts of kindness and charity
2: beneficial
 be?nef?i?cent?ly adverb

And your definition is...?

Len Budney

« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2007, 03:17:17 PM »

And your definition is...?

... completely irrelevant. Assuming arguendam that God exists, He is what he is. If He calls that "good," or if I do, we're using God as the definition of goodness--and hence, if He happens to be the God of the Bible, "goodness" must not be incompatible with, e.g., Joshua's genocidal invasion of Canaan. When you argue the reverse, that genocidal invasions are always "bad," and therefore God must be "bad," you're introducing a different definition of goodness. If you go farther and claim that you have demonstrated a logical contradiction, then you have fallen for the fallacy of equivocation, plain and simple.

--Len.

The Swamp Fox

« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2007, 04:45:03 PM »
Mark Twain's The War Prayer comes to mind.

So, here's the question:  If you were a soldier preparing for war, would a speech that references God/Allah/religion given by your commanders motivate you?

Since this is not a hypothetical for me I can say firmly not. Since I do not know of any Commanders in the US Army that share my religous views therefore any speech referencing their higher power would be lost on me.

Using the war in the mid-east as an example, would you feel that you are on the "right" side if you were a U.S. soldier?  What if you were an Iraqi or Al Queda?

Again... since this is not a hypothetical for me I can say firmly yes. My mission will be to assist the Iraqi's in defeating fight Al Queda invaders, establishing a republic and improving civil rights in the country so I feel pretty good about going back there. I don't think I would have volunteered otherwise.

Assuming arguendam that God exists, He is what he is. If He calls that "good," or if I do, we're using God as the definition of goodness--and hence, if He happens to be the God of the Bible, "goodness" must not be incompatible with, e.g., Joshua's genocidal invasion of Canaan. When you argue the reverse, that genocidal invasions are always "bad," and therefore God must be "bad," you're introducing a different definition of goodness.

This is an issue that most organized religions face. It is impossible to do "good" for all creatures therefore any acts that are not "good" are often explained away as "divine mystery" or "greater good" or whatever. Certainly the bible and quaran are fraught with complex moral issues where the divine entity servents of the host appear to not always do "good".

But in answer to the OP's title question I guess if so; I will die a horrible death within the year. Of course my living and returning home safely will not mean that I was more favored either. 

Edit:
What if you were an Iraqi

Just noticed that. Very curious. It kind of implies that Iraqi's are on the opposite side. Certainly some are. But since less than 2% of the population is involved in the insurrection I guess it would kind of depend if you were in that minority that is fighting US forces.

But then again if I were Iraqi my mindset would be: En'shalla.

or Al Queda

Well I might think I were. But then again I might have my doubts. That is why my comrades will keep the detonator from afar and duct tape my hands to the steering wheel and give me a large dose of liquid courage before I drive into the check point with my VBIED. Even then I might change my mind but thee isn't much I could do about it.