Author Topic: The Nature of Evil  (Read 6454 times)

CAnnoneer

• friend
The Nature of Evil
« on: November 15, 2007, 10:36:12 AM »
What is it, at least according to you?

Patriot

Re: The Nature of Evil
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 10:57:52 AM »
What is it, at least according to you?

If you tell me what "evil" is, I might tell you what I think about its nature.   grin

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 11:22:49 AM »
Evil is the intentional lack of regard for the consequences of one's actions on others.

At the macro level it strives to forward it's on agenda by any means. Thus an agenda with an end result that is good for some but bad for others without regard for those to whom bad is done is evil even if more is gained than is lost.

Evil requires that the perpetrator be aware of his/her actions and the consequences thereof thus a certifiably insane psychopath is not evil but deranged.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 11:26:27 AM »
I think it's the thing that came as a giant flaming planet, made a phone call to Gary Oldman, and then was repelled by Milla Jovovich screaming.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 12:37:39 PM »
Having it rainy and windy on opening day of deer season. 
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 12:39:57 PM »
Evil?  

Its a selfish action that shows no regard for anyone else, usually for some sort of profit or gain for the initiator of the action.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 01:23:40 PM »
An intent to do harm - physical, financial, emotional, social, or otherwise.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 02:36:09 PM »
Must evil always be aimed at another person?  Can a lone castaway say, think or do evil, on his private island? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 02:48:20 PM »
fistful, that is all your religious self got to say on the subject? I am underwhelmed.

Strings

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 02:56:08 PM »
heh... I'm tickled...

>Its a selfish action that shows no regard for anyone else, usually for some sort of profit or gain for the initiator of the action.<

Ok... so mankind's advances through the ages have been "evil"...

>An intent to do harm to others - physical, financial, emotional, social, or otherwise.<

See above: don't we intend to harm an animal, before we can eat it?

Y'all need to try a bit harder... Wink

And what do I think evil is?

Fistful will back me on this...

Me. evil is Me. Tongue

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 04:05:08 PM »
While I may not be able to define it I know it when I see it:

Evil Incarnate
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 04:12:39 PM »
I'll see your Hillary and raise you by one worse
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2007, 04:17:10 PM »
The original question was about the nature, not the visage, of evil.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2007, 05:13:04 PM »
Who's that second pic of, Paul Newman? I can't tell.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2007, 05:26:07 PM »
Joe Biden, father of the assault weapons ban.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2007, 06:12:54 PM »
Fistful will back me on this...

Me. evil is Me. Tongue 

See, that proves he is a witch.  That, and he floats as if made of wood. 

So far, I agree with Strings and RoadKingLarry. 

Strings

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2007, 09:55:25 PM »
No, Roadking Larry came up with what scares evil ('cause, I'll be honest, that woman scares the bejeebus out of me!)

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2007, 03:19:17 AM »
Stupidity.

Believe me I know evil and it is stupid.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2007, 03:49:31 AM »
The deliberate, intentional, and malicious initiation of unprovoked harm on innocents for pleasure would qualify as being evil . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2007, 04:08:12 AM »
fistful, that is all your religious self got to say on the subject? I am underwhelmed. 

I believe a common definition of evil is, "the absence of good." 

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2007, 05:03:05 AM »
"We must all fear evil men, but there is another kind of evil that we should fear most, and that is the indifference of good men"

GreatBlueWhale

• GreatBlueWhale
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2007, 05:45:29 AM »
In the words of Justice Potter Stewart, "I know it when I see it..."
Evil presupposes a particular worldview It doesn't matter what that worldview is. People generally consider something evil when it works against what they consider their deeply held core values, their ethos. Therefore, being a subjective construct, evil cannot be defined or even described without reference to a particular worldview. Hence, "I know it when I see it..."

Worldviews are often similar, but seldom congruent. This muddies the waters. Of course, since my worldview is the most valid, most correct worldview, my definition and description of evil would be absolute. Wouldn't yours?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2007, 06:17:18 AM »
Therefore, being a subjective construct, evil cannot be defined or even described without reference to a particular worldview. Hence, "I know it when I see it..."
Yet you are able to give a generic definition of evil, without reference to your own particular world view.  See below
People generally consider something evil when it works against what they consider their deeply held core values, their ethos. 

Of course, your view did show by your assertion of the subjective nature of evil (and hence also of morality), but that is not very particular.

Worldviews are often similar, but seldom congruent. This muddies the waters.
Not necessarily enough to prevent agreement on the nature of evil.  People of different religions may disagree on what form evil takes (whether or not it is evil to eat pork or to have multiple wives), but they might still agree on the definition of the term. 

GreatBlueWhale

• GreatBlueWhale
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2007, 09:43:53 AM »
Yeah, I screwed up. Perhaps I should have said that evil being a subjective construct; we cannot describe the nature of evil without reference to particular worldview. My general definition would stand. That is much closer to what I meant. (I really shouldnt forum surf and try to post while on short breaks.)

However, definition is one thing, nature another. Take abortion on demand. One person says it is evil because it denies the sanctity of life. The next person says it is regrettable, but not necessarily evil. The third person says it is a good thing, and anyone who tries to discourage a woman from having an abortion is evil. The concept of evil would be the same thing to all these people, a serious violation of some deeply held value, but the nature of evil is different. Almost any polarizing issue can present this dichotomy (environmentalism, immigration, capitalism, communism, 2nd Amendment, etc.). Suppose a biological attack killed 90% of all the Jews in Israel. Millions would mourn. Millions would dance in the streets.

I would differ with you that my view is not particular. You would agree there are some who will not allow for even the thought of any type of relativism of good and evil, morality in general. They insist everyone must judge from their particular rigid black and white viewpoint. I do not hold that view. There are those who believe in nothing or everything (you choose) and consequently say no one can judge at all, because every viewpoint is equally valid. I do not hold that view.

Though I hold the concept to be relative, I have a moral position, a particular and certainly not unique, worldview informed by religious or philosophical tenets. I believe mine to be correct. (Wouldnt it be ridiculous for me to hold a position if I didnt think it was right?) It is undoubtedly similar to others. However, if you are not one who shares a similar position, I recognize you have every right to yours as I to mine. While I may try to persuade you, I will not insist.

Of course, I claimed my definition and description of evil is absolute, so I am not too hypocritical.  angel.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2007, 09:45:31 AM »
Is evil really that subjective?