Author Topic: me hed it hertz  (Read 1584 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
me hed it hertz
« on: February 24, 2014, 06:44:40 PM »
http://nypost.com/2014/02/23/students-defend-murry-bergtraum-hs-in-error-filled-letters/

I refuse to post any examples of the letters submitted.  Consider that sufficient warning tp proceed at your own peril.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: me hed it hertz
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 03:48:20 AM »
Red 1.  Enuf 4 me.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 07:50:25 AM »
A junior wrote: “What do you get of giving false accusations im one of the students that has blended learning I had a course of English and I passed and and it helped a lot you’re a reported your support to get truth information other than starting rumors . . .”
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 08:35:23 AM »
Fail them all and start over.   Also fire the school's "PR person", since we are not allowed to hang such folks in the public square anymore.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 09:15:58 AM »
Fail them all and start over.   Also fire the school's "PR person", since we are not allowed to hang such folks in the public square anymore.

It's times like this when I consider updating my GPS maps - maybe Garmin has finally figured out where the tiny town of Effigy is located.  I hear you can hang them there.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 09:22:04 AM »
I'm pretty sure for each of those letters you read, you'll lose 10 IQ points....  mostly due to brain cells committing suicide after being exposed to that level of stupid.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 09:26:58 AM »
^ Y I ony red 1

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 09:31:55 AM »
A junior wrote: “What do you get of giving false accusations im one of the students that has blended learning I had a course of English and I passed and and it helped a lot you’re a reported your support to get truth information other than starting rumors . . .”

What's sad is, I believe he is telling the truth. That is a far better constructed statement than what I have read from other high schoolers. So, it is very possible that the course "helped a lot," even if he is still a poor writer.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 01:24:23 PM »
why are none of them pi$$ed that they didn't get the education that they paid for?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 01:29:13 PM »
why are none of them pi$$ed that they didn't get the education that they paid for?

what is this "they paid for" you speak of?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 03:01:55 PM »
IIRC wasn't there one (ONE, only one, singular, as in "not plural") kollidge graduate althlete who confessed to being illeterate and sued the degree factory that pushed him along?  Seems he took the money and got a tutor and some remedial education and went on to make something of himself.

stay safe.

• friends
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 03:12:59 PM »
IIRC wasn't there one (ONE, only one, singular, as in "not plural") kollidge graduate althlete who confessed to being illeterate and sued the degree factory that pushed him along?  Seems he took the money and got a tutor and some remedial education and went on to make something of himself.

stay safe.

i don't remember that story but dexter manley testified in front of congress that he read at a 3rd grade level. after college
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 06:10:56 PM »
I'm trying to stifle a laugh right now.

Mmmffff.  Mffffmmmm.

• friends
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 06:17:16 PM »
they will be voting and serving on juries soon :facepalm:

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 06:54:11 PM »
It's times like this when I consider updating my GPS maps - maybe Garmin has finally figured out where the tiny town of Effigy is located.  I hear you can hang them there.

stay safe.

:laugh: Never heard that one before.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 06:58:57 PM »
*sigh*

I'm probably going to get slammed for this, but here it goes...

I only had to take one remeidal class in college and that was Algebra. So, my spelling and grammer (which many of you strongly disapprove of) was clearly enough to get by.

For one, at least those 18 kids are sort of trying. The sad part is that they are not given the means to do much, and are probably at the age that pushing them harder acedemically will fail most miserably.
I highly doubt these kids in blended courses are college track. I would bet most are just suffering their wearhousing till they hit 18.
So, I think making fun of them is highly distasteful. If you guys want to lambast someone, go after the cheap bastards that approved this program and the idiots that refuse to retrack these poor kids into GED programs and tech/trade schools, where they can focus on basics without being forced to dabble in credits that are essentially useless for them, long term.

I think we can all agree that the HS diploma is worth less then nothing (and the stupid GED is even more useless, as I found out the hard way) and that the highly expensive college diploma is now the default HS diploma (and worth about as much)
You get what you pay for and we all paid for this.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 07:05:06 PM »
If you guys want to lambast someone, go after the cheap bastards that approved this program....You get what you pay for and we all paid for this.

Yes, I think that is the point of this thread. Or at least that's how I take it.

When I was at the DMV this weekend, watching a grown man have a melt-down that became a police matter (all because he didn't want to wait in line again), my over-riding sense was one of sadness and embarrassment. We (Americans) are the ones who deranged our culture. It's our fault.

(Don't mean I didn't make fun of him later, though. :) )

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 07:13:33 PM »
Yes, I think that is the point of this thread. Or at least that's how I take it.

When I was at the DMV this weekend, watching a grown man have a melt-down that became a police matter (all because he didn't want to wait in line again), my over-riding sense was one of sadness and embarrassment. We (Americans) are the ones who deranged our culture. It's our fault.

(Don't mean I didn't make fun of him later, though. :) )

Oh, I got no problem making fun of a grown man for making a stink at the DMV, but you're right.

I just thought the intentionally misspelled and poorly written post was on the mean mocking side of the line.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 10:24:23 PM »
BSL -  There is a difference between making grammar and speeling erers and being functionally illiterate to the point that you cannot survive in your specific environment.  The former future Mrs. skidmark was trained to use spell check most of the time, but should never have been allowed to commit solo writing in the professional setting.  A more severe case example is the person who cannot read the labels on food products in the grocery store so relies on memory of what packages of stuff they like looks like.

I doubt your competency as an employee is judged by your grammar and speeling.  We should realize the same for most of these students, as long as they aspire to nothing where competency in Standard American English is needed to retain your job/advance to higher levels.  But if they are part of the group demanding entry into the ranks of folks who wear ties to work (wether or not they also wear a sports coat/suit jacket as well) then they probably will find it necessary to speak/write something more than l33t.

And that brings me to patented rant #317 - that public education is supposed to prepare every student for a job better than upselling a plain burger to at least a cheeseburger if not the full combo meal.  Or that public education's purpose is to make those that used to be called the voc-ed students (I have no idea what PC name they now have) into devotees of classic and fine modern literature, let alone into great thinkers.  I will, however, confess that when I was a teacher of HS  English I did sell Chaucer and Shakespear and Emily Bronte and the like based on the sex scenes.  (If you are going to enjoy literature, enjoy the juicy parts first, then figure out if you want to get into all that esoteric and philosophical crap.)  =D

stay safe.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2014, 10:49:52 AM »
My parents and their peers learned Latin and Greek, studied Aristotle and Shakespeare, along with calculus and trigonometry.  In High School.  Both of my parents were the only ones in their extended families to go to college (with some help from Uncle Sugar). The only books my mother's family owned was a complete set of Funk and Wagnall's Encyclopedias purchased on the decade+ long installment plan. 

And mocking and shaming is appropriate.  The purpose of such has always been to modify and improve the behavior of said individuals, but since there is no shame in our culture anymore and pointing out such deficiencies gets one labelled as a "racist" or the like, most people has chosen to ignore it.

Tis All the more pity.

The original purpose of schooling was to provide members to society that could positively contribute; economically, intellectually, and culturally to said society.  Now it is most to produce more takers and monolithic block voters to deliver more power and control into the hands of those that would be their masters.   

And these are beyond ironic and had they been printed as satire, no one would have believed it.   "High School PR Person has illiterates write letters to editor.  Hilarity ensues."   
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.