Author Topic: Census 2020  (Read 1351 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Census 2020
« on: March 27, 2018, 09:37:45 AM »
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/california-ag-sues-trump-administration-over-census-citizenship-question

California objects to the 2020 census asking people if they are citizens. IMHO, a country that doesn't ask citizenship status on its census is loco. I don't remember about prior census questionnaires -- didn't they ask about citizenship status? How can a national government make decisions without knowing how many citizens it has?

As for California, this lawsuit seems like a blatant admission that their illegal alien situation is out of control. Why should they qualify for either congressional representation or federal money for people who shouldn't even be in the country?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Census 2020
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 10:22:49 AM »
It's interesting to follow the money on this one. Supposedly conservative Texas apparently has many local govs up in arms over this because they may lose government funding if illegals don't participate in the census due to the citizenship question.

I think this is good. If having to fund programs for illegals suddenly falls to the state/local level, it might change their views on "undocumented Americans".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 10:49:05 AM »
My initial reaction was "well, obviously we should ask that", but I'm interested in hearing more from both sides.

I'm no Constitutional scholar, but the Census was set out in Article 1 Section 2:
Quote from: Article 1 Section 2
Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons. The actual Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct.
Would non-citizen residents (legal or illegal) be considered "free Persons" in this context?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 12:02:34 PM »
The illegals are free until they're caught and deported. The real question is whether or not illegals are entitled to any representation in Congress (I say they are not), and whether or not a state should be receiving federal funds on the basis of harboring illegals within its borders (I say no).

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 12:21:41 PM »
Even slaves counted for 3/5 of a person, so if you don't want illegals to even get counted, then you are worse than a slave-owner.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 12:33:47 PM »
How about having ICE agents accompany the Census takers and solving two problems...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 12:37:04 PM »
I'm looking at the phrase, "in such Manner as they shall by Law direct." and wondering what the law and regulations say on it.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 02:40:08 PM »
Once again, someone thought to ask WDBCD? [What Did Bill Clinton Do?]

And, it turns out that Bill Clinton asked about citizenship. Once again, when Trump does it, it's evil and racist. When a Clinton does it, it must be A-Okay.

https://ntknetwork.com/flashback-bill-clintons-census-asked-about-citizenship/

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 08:16:26 PM »
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2018/03/27/california-attorney-general-tries-to-explain-how-including-citizenship-question-on-census-is-illegal/

So, it's illegal to ask an illegal if they're here illegally?

Were I Commerce Secretary, I would simply do this:  "We counted 1 person in the State of California.  Therefore, California is awarded one Representative in the House and 2 US Senators.  Thanks for playing, see you in ten years."

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 09:01:25 PM »
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2018/03/27/california-attorney-general-tries-to-explain-how-including-citizenship-question-on-census-is-illegal/

Were I Commerce Secretary, I would simply do this:  "We counted 1 person in the State of California.  Therefore, California is awarded one Representative in the House and 2 US Senators.  Thanks for playing, see you in ten years."

Make it enough for 2 reps, one for the coast, and one for the Central valley.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 09:04:54 PM »
Make it enough for 2 reps, one for the coast, and one for the Central valley.

I see what you did there.  >:D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 09:41:54 PM »
Yes Obama took out that question but Trump is Hitler.

I don't care much for Trump hate him worse now that he signed the crap spending bill proving he is still a Dem.

I've said it before and will say it again, they are all RRR up there. Reelect, Retire, Rich.

Jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2018, 02:15:05 AM »

:rofl: Oh man that would be hilarious! Someone get them to do this!
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2018, 06:52:20 AM »
Apparently the citizenship question was last on the 1950 census.

There was no legal action initiated to remove it.

After 1950, most census enumeration was done via mail, through short and long forms.

Most people got the short form, but those who got the long form found questions about citizenship.

It's even more convoluted than that, but most of what I'm hearing/seeing is telling me that there's no legal bar to asking about an individual's citizenship.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2018, 11:20:10 AM »
. . . Most people got the short form, but those who got the long form found questions about citizenship . . .
Last time I got the long form - circa 2000 - all I entered on it was a number correctly matching the number of people living at my address.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2018, 11:29:02 AM »
For the 2010 census, my late wife was incensed by the ethnicity question. She was from South America, and she didn't see any reason why because of her maiden name or the fact she was born in South America rather than North America she should be classified as any less white European descent than me. I happen to agree with her completely.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2018, 03:18:14 PM »
For the 2010 census, my late wife was incensed by the ethnicity question. She was from South America, and she didn't see any reason why because of her maiden name or the fact she was born in South America rather than North America she should be classified as any less white European descent than me. I happen to agree with her completely.
Well, back in my college days there was a guy at my school who embraced the opportunity to be classified as African-American, although he was blond, fair-skinned, and had blue eyes. His parents had immigrated - legally - bringing him along as an infant from Pretoria, South Africa where he'd been born.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2018, 07:28:08 AM »
More and more I've been rejecting the "White/Caucasian" box on forms and entering Other -- Northern European American.

If African American is valid, then so is Northern European American.

I've been called on it a couple of times and have adamantly refused to back down. If Negroid is racist, then Caucasoid is also racist.

I had a neighbor for awhile -- whiter than me -- who routinely entered African American on her forms. She was born in, and was a dual citizen of, the Republic of South Africa. She got into a bunch of arguments with HR people at various jobs over it, but refused to back down.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2018, 08:50:48 AM »
I had a neighbor for awhile -- whiter than me -- who routinely entered African American on her forms. She was born in, and was a dual citizen of, the Republic of South Africa. She got into a bunch of arguments with HR people at various jobs over it, but refused to back down.

On the reverse of that, I've been amused by reporters describing Africans (like Kofi Anan, who is not the only one, but the first to come to mind) as "African American," because CLEARLY they can't say he's black.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2018, 09:05:11 AM »
I've been called on it a couple of times and have adamantly refused to back down. If Negroid is racist, then Caucasoid is also racist.

"Negro" has the advantage of being merely descriptive. It's only offensive by association. "Caucasian" emerged out of scientific racism, and the idea that the ideal racial type came from the Caucasus region.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2018, 12:24:40 PM »
On the reverse of that, I've been amused by reporters describing Africans (like Kofi Anan, who is not the only one, but the first to come to mind) as "African American," because CLEARLY they can't say he's black.

Wouldn't he be African African?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2018, 12:27:31 PM »
""Caucasian" emerged out of scientific racism, and the idea that the ideal racial type came from the Caucasus region."

I've never been to the Caucuses, hence my protest.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2018, 12:45:32 PM »
""Caucasian" emerged out of scientific racism, and the idea that the ideal racial type came from the Caucasus region."

I've never been to the Caucuses, hence my protest.

I would never attend any caucuses held in the Caucasus.