Author Topic: Electric fence charger/controller  (Read 7399 times)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Electric fence charger/controller
« on: March 24, 2009, 09:36:12 PM »
We need a new fence controller to power about 2 or 3 miles of electric fencing. It needs to be suitable for heavy weed/grass areas (I think the low impedance controllers are for this), run off of AC power, and either have lighting protection or easily protected against lighting (which fried our old controller). And it'd be nice if it did all this for under $100.

I'm not an expert in picking out a suitable model. What say you, denizens of APS?
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

CNYCacher

• friend
Re: Electric fence charger/controller
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 12:40:51 AM »

On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 08:34:23 AM »
I was thinking something more like this if you have large livestock/ pest problems.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 10:37:01 AM »
I've got a couple of dogs that I love and don't want to fry (the idiots do have a run in with the electric fence at least a couple of times a year). And a cat that I don't care so much about, but my sisters do.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 10:55:34 AM »
Only expericence I have with fence controlers are ones that run on 6v lantern batteries. Those sucked in weeds and you had to chase cattle back in after heavy rain storms.

I'd just stop by your local farm store and see what they have.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 11:24:22 AM »
Just google electric fence controllers.........duh......

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 12:12:15 PM »
I think Adam on Mythbusters might have one that he'd let go for cheap........

Just after Tory tests the shock on himself.]
Kari: On a scale of 1 to 10, what was the electrocution pain on that one?
Tory: Uh, I would say 211.

Rob Lee (US Narrator): What he [Adam] doesn't know is they might have replaced the ancient batteries with an electric fence transformer...which would be the dirtiest trick in MythBusting history.

Adam: Now, you guys haven't hooked in the electric fence thing in here, have you?

[Just after Adam is shocked.]
Kari: Did you feel God?

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 01:48:28 PM »
I remember that episode.

I wondered for a while if we'd see new Mythbuster assistants afterwards...   =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 02:06:35 PM »
My ex-wife grew up in the city. No experience with electric fences.

She came to visit one day and we went out to a coworker's farm to see their horses and the new colt.

The critters were in the paddock, and Natalie (my coworker), her 12-year-old son, Liz (my ex) and I walked up to the fence.

Before I could open my mouth Liz goes to lean into the paddock and puts her one hand on the electric fence.

The look on her face was absolutely priceless, Nat got a chuckle, and I thought her son was going to crap himself he was laughing so hard. I was trying not to laugh, because I had to live with her for the rest of the weekend...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 08:30:12 PM »
I remember that episode.

I wondered for a while if we'd see new Mythbuster assistants afterwards...   =D

I realized immediately that they wouldn't have shown that sequence if anyone had actually gotten hurt, but I was convinced for a bit that the Build Team was going to be unemployed ANY DAY NOW...

Glad they weren't, as I enjoy the interactions between them, but that just really seemed like a stupid thing for them to do.

don

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 09:16:36 PM »
Mike, I feel sorry for your wife,but the ultimate sensation is when you urinate on an electric fence.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 10:32:41 PM »
Mike, I feel sorry for your wife,but the ultimate sensation is when you urinate on an electric fence.

Have you done it?

don

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 11:46:44 PM »
Yes when I was about 13 years old. It was at night and the fence was in the dark. Quite an exilarating experience.  ouch!

zahc

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 11:48:55 PM »
My grandfather hooks his directly up to the wall through a lightbulb. When the lightbulb goes on, you can tell something got shocked. Also, the wattage of the lightbulb controls the relative lethality of the fence.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 11:52:51 PM »
My grandfather hooks his directly up to the wall through a lightbulb. When the lightbulb goes on, you can tell something got shocked. Also, the wattage of the lightbulb controls the relative lethality of the fence.

Now that's cool!

Yes when I was about 13 years old. It was at night and the fence was in the dark. Quite an exilarating experience.  ouch!

I've always heard of people talking about it, never actually talked to someone who did it.

taurusowner

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2009, 04:11:11 AM »
When I was in the Glassmen Drum and Bugle Corps, we were practicing at a school near a farm.  As we faced back field, we saw a bunny rabbit jump into an electric fence and get fried. I know it's horrible, but the whole drumline just stopped and started cracking up.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2009, 10:48:16 AM »
When I was in the Glassmen Drum and Bugle Corps, we were practicing at a school near a farm.  As we faced back field, we saw a bunny rabbit jump into an electric fence and get fried. I know it's horrible, but the whole drumline just stopped and started cracking up.

We have to have the controller on ours instead of hooking it up straight.

One idiot dog has had an encounter with the fence. He was trying to go through the garden, and successfully made it through the fence except for his back legs. He caught one in the fence and tore a good part of the fence down, including taking out the other side on his way through, while screaming bloody murder. Fastest that dog has ever moved in his life.

He didn't know what the hell happened, except my father was out working nearby and the dog thought my father had done it to him. When dad went after and found the dog cowering on my uncle's porch, the dog saw him and basically went catonic, playing dead.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 11:01:15 AM by Avenger29 »

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2009, 12:30:47 PM »
For all those here who claim they've been shocked while urinating on an electric horse/cattle fence wire, you ought to all call the guys at Mythbusters. Being able to urinate with a perfect laminar flow to allow the charge to race up the stream and reach your man-parts is a pretty unique skill.

They might be interested. If you're lucky, maybe Kari Byron will be tasked with your testing.
I promise not to duck.

don

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2009, 01:19:43 PM »
AJ, I don't care what mythbusters says. I did it and got shocked, period, end of story.
If I were a female it may have been a problem.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2009, 01:29:14 PM »
For all those here who claim they've been shocked while urinating on an electric horse/cattle fence wire, you ought to all call the guys at Mythbusters. Being able to urinate with a perfect laminar flow to allow the charge to race up the stream and reach your man-parts is a pretty unique skill.

They might be interested. If you're lucky, maybe Kari Byron will be tasked with your testing.

IIRC, they were testing someone peeing on the "third rail" of a electric-powered train, which would be at foot-level, giving the gravity-accelerated urine stream opportunity to break into droplets.

An electric fence could potentially be within inches of your junk.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2009, 01:39:03 PM »
IIRC, they were testing someone peeing on the "third rail" of a electric-powered train, which would be at foot-level, giving the gravity-accelerated urine stream opportunity to break into droplets.

An electric fence could potentially be within inches of your junk.

So noted.  =D
I promise not to duck.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2009, 01:40:14 PM »

It doesn't take skill.  All it takes is a couple of beers and a waist-level fence.

And, yes, it hurts.  A lot.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2009, 04:43:47 PM »
friend had a husky with wanderlust  jumped the fence even when we added on to the top  till we hot wired it. whereupon teddy demonstrated remarkable tunneling skill so we ran a line about 6 inches above the ground. poor teddy was confined a few days later teddy lifted his leg and got lit up by fence. it was 2 months before we could get him in the backyard again
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2009, 05:37:38 PM »
We need a new fence controller to power about 2 or 3 miles of electric fencing.

http://finickypenguin.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/nuclear-reactor.jpg

...and you don't even need batteries....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.