Author Topic: Screenshots  (Read 5425 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Screenshots
« on: February 16, 2006, 04:17:10 PM »
Ok, I can't be the only computer dork here.
Post a screenshot of your current desktop.
The BSD box:

The old 500 MHz iMac:

cosine

• Administrator
Screenshots
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 04:29:14 PM »
Here's mine:

[hillbilly]I ain't too much of a computer dork.[/hillbilly]
In fact, the application open on the taskbar is IE at Wikipedia teaching me how to capture a screenshot.
Andy

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Screenshots
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 04:32:00 PM »
Nice wallpaper.

zahc

• friend
Screenshots
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 04:32:09 PM »
You totally stole my desktop wallpaper.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

cosine

• Administrator
Screenshots
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 04:44:28 PM »
Yeah, I like that wallpaper. It's a picture of the Orion nebula taken by the Hubble telescope. I got the link (www.hubblesite.org) from a post on Sigforum, really loved that picture, and downloaded the correct resolution for my desktop and made it my wallpaper. In fact, that site has all sorts of cool pictures, including tons of space images ones formatted properly for desktop wallpapers.

Here's the link to page with the Orion wallpaper downloads: http://hubblesite.org/gallery/album/nebula_collection/pr2006001a/
Scroll down about four-fifth of the way down the page.
Andy

Standing Wolf

• friend
Screenshots
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 05:23:57 PM »
The BSD box:
That looks every bit as ugly as DOS. Sorry, but all that reversed type takes me back to 1983 and 1984.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Screenshots
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 05:35:51 PM »
Better?

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Screenshots
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006, 05:42:24 PM »
My desktop at work, proprietary monitoring applications hidden of course.

This is the image I use on my primary box at home, such a pretty day. (linked, cause its big)

http://www.angelfire.com/linux/amgine/images/battlecrab_sky.jpg
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

esheato

• friend
Screenshots
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2006, 06:00:27 PM »
Took the pic myself a month ago returning from a skiing trip. I'm a landscape kind of guy.

drewtam

• friend
Screenshots
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2006, 06:07:27 PM »
Sindawe,
why is a B5 Battleship blasting away at what appears to be the Enterprise? Is this some sort of Homeworld mod?
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Screenshots
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2006, 06:56:09 PM »
No, the image predates any mods to retail games for B5 fans.  IIRC, it stems from from the fanatical fandom of B5 addicts in the mid-90s (of which I was one) and their conviction that B5 was better than ANY flavor of Trek.

Oh, and actually its an Omega-Class Destroyer.  The Earth Alliance had no battleships.

Shoot, I just learned that G'Kar (Andreas Katsulas) had died.

Here is a note posted by JMS:
Subject: Andreas Katsulas is gone
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 14:52:01 +0000 (UTC)

Just over a year ago, Andreas Katsulas -- who loved smoking with a passion that cannot be described -- was diagnosed with lung cancer, which by then had already spread to other areas. He quit smoking at once and went on a healthy diet and vitamin program, but there was little hope of a good resolution even though the new regimen was very good for him. When we spoke about it, he laughed, and said, "Now that I'm dying I've never felt better!"

His spirits were always up and positive, putting everyone at ease about his condition, because...well, that's the kind of person he was.

A couple of months ago, he and his wife convened a dinner with me, Doug, and Peter Jurasik, which was filled with laughter and stories and good food. He wanted to know all the stories we never told him because, as he said, "Who am I going to tell?" So we did. Because we knew we were saying goodbye, and there would not be a second chance.

Last night, in the company of his wife and family, Andreas closed his eyes and went away.

He lived an amazing life...full of travel and wonder and good work...was part of the world renowned Peter Brook company...he saw the planet, loved and was loved, ate at great restaurants, smoked too many cigarettes...he lived a life some people would die for.

And, sadly, due to the last part of that equation...he did.

Memorial arrangements are still being worked out, but will doubtless be private.

Andreas is gone...and G'Kar with him, because no one else can ever play that role, or ever will.

I will miss him terribly.

J. Michael Straczynski

My apologies for the thread highjack.  Mr. Katsulas's portrail of Ambassador G'Kar and his personal growth over the five year span of B5 made the series.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Fatcat

Screenshots
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2006, 07:32:05 PM »

Nothing special, but I gotta have a clean desktop.
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one."

drewtam

• friend
Screenshots
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2006, 07:35:07 PM »
Thats so sad,

No, one of the things that made B5 great was that you saw that change and developement in every character. Thats what I absolutley loved about the series, it took the time to really develope characters. It really felt like watching a good book. Star Trek (any series any spin off) has nothing on B5, story telling, charaters, acting, 'human-ness', plot. The only thing ST has is money and CG, all form and no substance.

Homeworld has nothing to do with B5, but folks have modded it to take on the B5 style ships and battles. Its an excellent space RTS (true 3D battles!) game.

Will JMS ever do another series?

Drew
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

zahc

• friend
Screenshots
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2006, 08:38:54 PM »
That's exactly what Fatcat's desktop made me think, too.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Nightfall

• friend
Screenshots
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2006, 01:29:33 AM »
I'd post my desktop, but it's quicker to describe it. Plain white background, total of 5 icons on the left. I used to put different stuff on there, but ya know, sometimes I'm not in the mood to stare at a gun/landscape/etc. picture while I do stuff. Plain white fits every mood. Smiley
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
Screenshots
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2006, 03:08:10 AM »
dasmi, don't let 'em get to you. Some people just can't appreciate the simple elegance of a command prompt Tongue

Fatcat, I know how to wipe the desktop, but how did you get your start button to be just an icon?

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
Screenshots
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2006, 03:58:37 AM »
I'd post mine, but the big question would be, which of the four monitors should I post?  I've got Luis Royo paintings on each of them, but they're all different.

Does geek factor improve if I mention that I currently have 6 VNC sessions open to servers down the hall in the lab, and all of them have xterms with command prompts in?

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Fatcat

Screenshots
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2006, 05:29:31 AM »
Winamp skin is here.

The start button is part of the visual style I am using, Black Mesa v2. Takes a bit of doing to get custom visual styles working but it sure looks better.
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one."

garrettwc

• friend
Screenshots
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2006, 05:39:27 AM »
Does geek factor improve if I mention that I currently have 6 VNC sessions open to servers down the hall in the lab, and all of them have xterms with command prompts in?
I'd give it an 8.5 Cheesy

garrettwc

• friend
Screenshots
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2006, 08:27:15 AM »
The start button is part of the visual style I am using, Black Mesa v2. Takes a bit of doing to get custom visual styles working but it sure looks better.
So it that like the themes we used to use for Win95/98, just download and choose from the desktop settings, or do you have to go in and tweak stuff like the registry?

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
Screenshots
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2006, 08:54:47 AM »
Ok, I actually captured my whole desktop.  Apologies in advance for the image width:

The second monitor from the right is a flat panel at 1280x1024, and the other three are CRTs at 1920x1200, which is why that one appears smaller than the others.

I use the flatpanel for reading e-mail and stuff like that, and the CRTs for coding on my build servers and for testing on my lab servers, all via VNC.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Fatcat

Screenshots
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2006, 02:34:24 PM »
Quote from: garrettwc
So it that like the themes we used to use for Win95/98, just download and choose from the desktop settings, or do you have to go in and tweak stuff like the registry?
It's basically like that except you have to replace a DLL file with one that allows non-microsoft themes to be used. After that they simply get stuck in the windows/resources/themes directory and selected from the appearance tab in display properties. Not too bad, but admittedly a lot more work than most people wanna go through. Alternatively there are some third party programs you can use (windowblinds, etc.), but they eat up too many resources for my taste.

And BP, that is awesome. What video card are you using that has 4 outputs?

TarpleyG

• friend
Screenshots
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2006, 03:09:26 PM »
Nothing too spectacular...

Greg

...has left the building.

Screenshots
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2006, 04:15:43 PM »

garrettwc

• friend
Screenshots
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2006, 06:39:21 AM »
Swap a DLL file? Heck Fatcat, that's cake compared to some of the registry hacks I've seen people play with. Seems simple enough. May have to save it for the home PC though. IT guys at work get nervous when I start playing with their standard drive image.