Author Topic: Recommended $200-$250 guitar  (Read 2970 times)

cosine

• Administrator
Recommended $200-$250 guitar
« on: March 19, 2006, 05:03:54 PM »
Okay, I need a $200-$250 dollar guitar for a carry around beater. I've got a D-15, not the most expensive guitar out there, but it's my baby and I don't like to drag it around to youth camps and activities and such.

I may be willing to go up to $300.

I just slightly even further may be willing to go to $350-$380 dollars. (Okay, what I really want to know is a Seagull S6 better than the $200-$250 guitar I'd prefer to buy?)

I'd really prefer $200-$250 though. Maybe $300 or a little over. (All right, I just can't make up my mind! Cheesy)

I've heard of a Yamaha model which people seem to rate highly, and I think is in that price range.

What about Art and Lutherie guitars? Are they any good?

Or would I be able to pick up a laminate or HPL Martin in one of those price ranges?

Any ideas for me?
Andy

natedog

• friend
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 05:41:49 PM »
I've got a Fender DG-100 that I like. It is a solid top, steel strung, no cuttout, and sounds pretty nice. They retail for about $300, but you can get them on eBay for cheap. http://cgi.ebay.com/FENDER-DG-100-NAT-SOLID-TOP-ACOUSTIC-GUITAR-w-OHSC_W0QQitemZ7398597033QQcategoryZ33024QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you're not opposed to an Ovation, their basic models (Applause, IIRC) aren't bad, either.

Strings

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 05:57:31 PM »
I have to say check EvilBay. I got my Kramer/Ferrington off there for under $300, as well as my Paul and my steinberger. From what I've seen in local stores, EvilBay DOES have better prices (you just have to have a bit of patience)...

crt360

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 06:10:54 PM »
I haven't checked out any of their newer stuff, but I have a cheap Takamine that I bought for the same purpose about ten years ago.  It was around $300 new and has been a really good guitar.  It's not a Collings or Martin, but it's a great value.  I've played guitars that cost three to four times as much that didn't play or sound any better.  The only thing I've done to it is cut a new bone nut for it and changed the strings every once in awhile.

I don't know if the S6 is better or not.  I've played a couple, one of which I really liked and another I didn't.

Low-priced guitars seem to be very inconsistent.  When I bought the Takamine, I played every one in the store.  Then I narrowed it down to a few that I thought felt good and sounded good.  I then had one of the store guys (who is a helluva guitar player and someone I've known and trusted for a long time) play each of the remaining guitars.  One stood out.  We both liked it over the others.  I bought it.
For entertainment purposes only.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 07:33:27 PM »
I can't remember the model number of my Takamine, but it looks similar to the G330S on their website.  It differs in that it has rosewood back and sides, gold tuners, white binding around the fretboard, some kind of fake abalone looking material in the binding and rosette, and the above-mentioned bone nut.  Mine does not have a solid top.  I believe the solid top Takamines all have an "S" after the number.

I found it.  It's the G334 located under discontinued models.  It was originally set up very well and is easy to play.    One of my main gripes with cheap guitars is the poor action many of them have (lack of attention to nut & bridge, strings 1/2 inch off the the fretboard, unstable neck).  Soundwise the G334 is nothing spectacular, but very even.  Every note sounds pretty good, but there are no magically ringing highs or thumping lows.  I'm sure the ply spruce top has something to do with this.  Again, I'm happy with it as a beater that only goes in its case for travel purposes.

This thread reminds me of how long it's been since I sat around playing guitars in music stores.  I'm sure there are some Epiphones, Fenders, Yamahas, Seagulls and other low-priced guitars that would do quite well, but at the time the Takamine was the best guitar I could find <$300 and other Takamines were the best guitars I could find short of a D-18 or Taylor 410.

Don't overlook some good buys on used guitars.  Many people buy low-end acoustics to learn on, play them a few times and give up.
For entertainment purposes only.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 08:11:57 PM »
Well, I hope to go play some guitars today. A quick search on the Internet looks like the G330S is almost just what I'm looking for. I'm willing to pay $300 dollars for a 'beater' guitar. Just have to go play it and see how it sounds.

I'm still going to keep my eyes open for a used deal.
Andy

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 01:28:15 AM »
How about Esteban's great deal? rolleyes

I'd go to bay and look around too. there's always a crapload of them on there. I sold one of mine there as a matter of fact.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

...has left the building.

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 08:31:13 AM »
I've played a ton of the lower end acoustics since I used to work in the guitar shop. I would say the best bang for the buck is the Washburn D10.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 08:50:02 AM »
"How about Esteban's great deal?"

BBBBBBBBBBWWWWWWWWWWWWWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

I got up early (around 5:30) to let the dogs out into the yard, and turned on the History Channel, and of course they were running infomercials at that time.

Esteban was pushing his gitbox, amplifier, and teaching CDs.

I can't think just who the hell he looks like, but the black leather gauchero hat and the black shirt just SCREAMED to me "FLAMENCO GOD WANNABE!"
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 10:32:52 AM »
Not to get too far off the track but Esteban is nothing but a lying piece o' crud in my book. There is no way his $79 guitar is comparable to anything that cost over $3000. He's just setting up the know nots. I hate that SOB. Ahhh, thanks for letting me vent. I feel much better now! Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006, 11:09:36 AM »
Quote from: Daniel Flory
I've played a ton of the lower end acoustics since I used to work in the guitar shop. I would say the best bang for the buck is the Washburn D10.
I'll +1 that, the Takamine, and raise you one more: an Alvarez-Yairi.

None of them are a Taylor, but all will hold a tune and are reasonably playable.  Get a decent guitar tech to set the action, maybe add some brass bridge pegs to add mass, and you should be really happy with it as a knockaround.

Fig

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2006, 11:33:13 AM »
i need this one:
bran-new eximious white hand digure electric guitar
http://cgi.ebay.com/bran-new-eximious-white-hand-digure-electric-guitar_W0QQitemZ7398713412QQcategoryZ2384QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

this price is nice but the shipping is a tad steep
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2006, 11:52:37 AM »
Quote from: Felonious Fig

None of them are a Taylor, but all will hold a tune and are reasonably playable.  Get a decent guitar tech to set the action, maybe add some brass bridge pegs to add mass, and you should be really happy with it as a knockaround.

Fig
Am I missing something? The Alvarez-Yairis are well over a grand! and I'm looking for a $200-$300 dollar beater. I've already got close to a grand guitar, and that's why I want a cheap knock-around.
Andy

...has left the building.

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2006, 12:54:51 PM »
Quote from: Felonious Fig

Fig
We bought my father-in-law a Washburn D10 Custom for Christmas this year. IIRC, it was $299. The regular D10 can be had for near $200. I play a customized Taylor 514 every day and I would say that the Washburn wasn't that much harder to play. Of course, the tone of the two guitars are worlds apart. But for a $300 axe, the D10 was in the zone.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2006, 04:41:53 PM »
well, I just got back from playing some guitars at the local guitars shops. Reports:

Alvarez: Seriously unimpressed with the guitars in my price range

Ibanez: ditto

Yamaha; ditto

Fender: ditto

Ovation: ditto

Art and Lutherie: Much nicer, but still not like my Martin

Seagull: Very nice for what it was, and I found a store nearby that's having a sale that brought the S6 and several others down into my price range. I played the Grand, and it was just too small and had quiet tone that would not do what I need it for.

Tomorrow I should be getting a new guitar!
Andy

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2006, 11:43:06 AM »
Quote from: cosine
Am I missing something? The Alvarez-Yairis are well over a grand! and I'm looking for a $200-$300 dollar beater. I've already got close to a grand guitar, and that's why I want a cheap knock-around.
Yep.  The Handmade Kazuo Yairi's are over a grand.  Mine is circa 1982, and I've had Martin owners ask me to sell it to 'em.  No way!

The production (factory) Alvarez git fiddles are what I owned prior to the Kazuo Yairi, so I apologize if I misled you.  They're still within your budget.

Fig

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2006, 12:54:02 PM »
I think it was Yamaha that had the FG series...they're supposed to be ironically great guitars for around $250 (the guy who reviwed them said they felt, sounded, and were constructed like most $500 guitars.)
Of course, this is an acoustic guitar.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2006, 02:12:58 PM »
Thanks Fig, and mbs357, but I saw your posts just as I got back from buying my new guitar. I played some lower end Alvarezs and Yamahas, and was definitely not impressed.

New thread: www.armedpolitesociety.com/viewtopic.php?pid=41279#p41279
Andy

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2006, 02:58:00 PM »
Oh wells, I might have been mistaken.  Or you might not have played an FG.
Or maybe the dude just lied.  It WAS a review in a Musician's Friend.
I hope your happy. smiley
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2006, 03:37:00 PM »
I've played the odd FG and liked them.

My 'beater' guitar is an Epiphone Olympic 1938 archtop. It might have been the lowest of the low when it was made, but it's a darn sight better than anything I can afford to replace it with. Unless the total rebuild of the Framus archtop goes really well.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2006, 08:08:46 PM »
Quote from: mbs357
Oh wells, I might have been mistaken.  Or you might not have played an FG.
Or maybe the dude just lied.  It WAS a review in a Musician's Friend.
I hope your happy. smiley
I wasn't dissing the Yamahas and Alvarezes, they were fine, functional guitars, but even for a beater I wanted something that resonated in my soul when I played it. And the only cheap guitar that I found that did that was the Seagull S6+ GT for $225.
Andy

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2006, 02:14:43 AM »
Understood. smiley

For the record, I have an Ibanez something or other.  It came with an amp, tuner, and a few other knick knacks for about $300.
I've been playing for about three and a half years now, so it's plenty for my skill level.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Acoustic?sku=519458
I like it. smiley