Author Topic: Seagull Grand  (Read 1651 times)

cosine

• Administrator
Seagull Grand
« on: March 19, 2006, 05:04:55 PM »
Okay, I've been looking around, and may be able to get a lightly used Seagull Grance for a decent price. But, I've heard that cedar tops are delicate. Is it delicate like it's going to splinter or split the moment it's bumped into something?

I also heard that the intonation of Seagulls can be off a bit sometimes. It that a real big concern, or are most of them well in tune?

How do the forum members here like the Grand? What does it sound like? How does it play? Tell me everything you know about this guitar.

Thanks!
Andy

crt360

• friend
Seagull Grand
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 07:45:50 PM »
Cedar tops.  Have you seen Willie Nelson's main guitar (the Frankenmartin with the experience hole in the top)?  I've played an old classical guitar with a cedar top forever and it still looks alright.  Although I've (poorly) learned some classical pieces, I am not a classical guitarist.  Fingernails and picks will put dents in cedar tops.  If you like to sit around the campfire, drink and strum viciously, you might consider something else.

Sorry, I don't know a thing about the Seagull Grand (except that it's a guitar).
For entertainment purposes only.

cosine

• Administrator
Seagull Grand
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 08:09:18 PM »
Yeah, I've seen Willie Nelson's guitar. :eek: This will be a campfire, strum viciously guitar. I hope to go look around a bit today, play some guitars, and see what I like. I'll look at the Takamine you mentioned in my other thread.
Andy

Strings

Seagull Grand
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 08:15:10 PM »
I can NOT remember the name of the company, and know it's dreadfully expensive, but there's someone out there doing carbon fiber guitars that have the same tone as a Martin. And, while expensive, they're just this side of indestructable, and impervious to climate (guy I know walked from pub to pub on St Patty's last year, no case, and never had to retune)...

cosine

• Administrator
Seagull Grand
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 08:51:23 PM »
Quote from: Hunter Rose
I can NOT remember the name of the company, and know it's dreadfully expensive, but there's someone out there doing carbon fiber guitars that have the same tone as a Martin. And, while expensive, they're just this side of indestructable, and impervious to climate (guy I know walked from pub to pub on St Patty's last year, no case, and never had to retune)...
Rainsong?
Andy

Strings

Seagull Grand
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 08:52:38 PM »
That might be it...

I remember looking into getting either a mandolin or bouzouki from 'em, and all they do is guitars... Sad

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Seagull Grand
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 03:35:23 AM »
I've owned a Seagull since '98.  Solid guitar, no problems with the cedar top to date, however, I do not play daily.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
Seagull Grand
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 07:23:34 AM »
Had my Seagull for about three years now and no issues.....  Like El T', I don't play daily, but I use it at the cottage a lot in the summer (read hot, humid, etc...)
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

...has left the building.

Seagull Grand
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 08:33:06 AM »
Cedar tops aren't delicate IMO. I use my Taylor 514 fairly hard and I haven't noticed that the top is abnormally brittle.

Regarding Seagulls, I'm not a big fan. I'm sure they're nice guitars but their necks don't fit me very well.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Seagull Grand
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 10:38:30 AM »
I got an old Gibson acoustical, cedar top sides and back. Considering what it's been through the cedar has held up OK. Realize that a cedar topped guitar will give you a "darker" sound than a spruce top. Rule of thumb is dark wood dark sound, bright wood bright sound. Try a dark and a light guitar next time you're shopping and you'll get a feel for what I'm talking about.

Also dark guitars sound better to the player while light guitars sound better to the listeners.

Sorry, I know nothing about Seagulls.

OH! And the plastic guitar being talked about was it either an "Ovation" or it's cheaper brother the "Applause" by any chance?

I've been to the Ovation offices in Bloomfield CT. The best thing they got is the receptionist's desk looks like a giant Ovation guitar! Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Iain

• friend
Seagull Grand
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 10:47:23 AM »
As far as I am aware there isn't much wrong with Seagulls (or anything that the LaPatrie lot put out under their various names, Simon and Patrick and Art et Lutherie are others) I've played a couple in shops and really like their slotted headstock parlour size guitar, the cute factor is huge.

Doubt you'll really notice a big difference between spruce and cedar in terms of resilience to damage.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

cosine

• Administrator
Seagull Grand
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2006, 08:09:59 PM »
Thanks for all the advice. I bought a Seagull S6+ GT, so I don't think I need any more advice about the Grand. Wink
Andy

Strings

Seagull Grand
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2006, 08:25:07 PM »
280plus: no, it was definately NOT an Ovation of any kind. Dreadnaught style squareback, and done on carbon fiber (not plastic). When I saw it, I immediately thought of Skunkabilly...

cosine

• Administrator
Seagull Grand
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2006, 08:26:04 PM »
Quote from: Hunter Rose
280plus: no, it was definately NOT an Ovation of any kind. Dreadnaught style squareback, and done on carbon fiber (not plastic). When I saw it, I immediately thought of Skunkabilly...
I say again: Sounds like a Rainsong. Wink
Andy

Strings

Seagull Grand
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2006, 08:29:41 PM »
and I say again, you're probably right!

I just REALLY wish they'd do a mandolin or bouzouki!