Author Topic: How much does an ocean-going barge cost?  (Read 2561 times)

How much does an ocean-going barge cost?
« on: March 19, 2006, 06:56:29 PM »
One big enough to house 30-60 passengers with accomodations and plenty of space for shooting machineguns with an indoor club area for other recreational activities. I googled up some prices, and they're low. This could be made into a reality..

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 07:21:36 PM »
The expensive part is the tug that gets it out to sea...

Not to mention a place to park it when you arent using it. Look up moorage for a barge sometime.

Also remember that anything that is on the barge has to be legal when it comes back to shore, once a machinegun always a machinegun.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 09:53:42 PM »
I've got a better idea.  Why don't we all pitch in, buy a nice big yacht, and go sailing off the coast of Somalia.  We can recruit enough artillery off of THR to take down every last one of those pirates, and it'd be all kinds of fun.

When it comes to gun ranges at sea, you have the whole ocean to shoot at, not just what's on your barge.  As long as we're buying a barge, we should buy some bouys to use as target hangers.  Just toss 'em over the side on lines of selected lengths, let them drift away, pop off a few thousand rounds, and then reel 'em in.  Google "killer tomato" and you'll see what I mean.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 01:31:12 AM »
We used to use 5 gallon buckets as targets. As long as they're waterproof and have a lid to start with. Them things are hard to hit bobbing all up and down like they do.

Azrael...I'm in!

Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 07:07:16 AM »
So, how cheap is cheap?
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 12:16:47 PM »
You miss the really big moneymaking idea here-park that puppy outside of the territorial waters of JAPAN!  You can ferry in tens of thousands of Japanese "tourists" who would pay just to fire a revolver.  For a pull at an UZI-well, the barge better be big enough for the safe you'll need to hold it!  Cheesy
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 05:36:44 PM »
Why go home? Park the barge in international waters and have a ferry lashed to it for travel. Keep a crew on board for security in the off times, and there you go.

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 06:23:31 PM »
Why not just invade Sealand?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealand
Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.

Justin

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 06:48:14 PM »
Or Google Freedom Ship.

If you're gonna go, go BIG.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 09:46:34 PM »
Quote from: Modifiedbrowning
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealand
Sealand was what gave me the idea of a barge in international waters being a gun mecca.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Lo.Com.Denom

• friend
  • Welcome to my world...
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 10:09:03 AM »
Quote from: Modifiedbrowning
See that big bastard Oerlikon-looking thingy, sitting on top? That's why. cool

I live really near to Sealand, actually. You can see it quite clearly from Felixstowe seashore. It's a shame "His Royal Highness" is such a nutter -- I'd love to see what it's like over there. He even warns off any small fishing boats, who sail too close to the tower.

And yep, every so often, somebody gets the idea that it'd be a great wheeze to invade Sealand... Only they tend to underestimate quite how seriously His Royal Fruitloop takes his principality. He came back once in a helicopter, tooled-up like something from a Frederick Forsyth novel and took the whole lot back by force. Even the Royal Navy tend to give Sealand a wide berth...