Author Topic: It's the Great American Meatout today!  (Read 3686 times)

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
It's the Great American Meatout today!
« on: March 20, 2006, 10:24:15 AM »
http://www.meatout.org/

I celebrated thuswise:

Wendy's Big Bacon Classic combo. Cheesy

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 10:54:40 AM »
Dude -- thanks for the tip. It's lunchtime right now and I was actually gonna do something light today for a change, but I think a double bacon cheeseburger at the local cafe is on the menu now.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 10:56:43 AM »
I'm having chicken fajitas right now.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 10:57:29 AM »
BenW:

I've got "lite" dinner plans--a steak salad! Can't let that left-over NY strip go to waste, now can we?
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 11:13:16 AM »
Crap.

I was going to have a salad for lunch, now you're making me get a frigging steak!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 11:19:16 AM »
Corned beef and cabbage.  Two hotdogs for lunch.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 11:21:24 AM »
i had london broil and gravy over mashed cauliflower with snap peas and a roasted tomato for lunch

i wonder whom i will internalize for supper?
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Justin

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 11:44:57 AM »
Had several varieties of pizza.

Sausage and olive.
Hawaii style
and bacon with pepperoni.

Huzzah!
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

client32

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 11:54:58 AM »
Can't let that left-over NY strip go to waste, now can we?
I wouldn't know.  We never have any left-over.  Wink
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 12:03:53 PM »
Hey, I cooked three, and we only made it through two. (Two hearty eaters, big steaks). Blame my wife--her appetite must have been off.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006, 12:06:46 PM »
Hmm.  I should cook that steak in the freezer for dinner...

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2006, 12:08:27 PM »
I was going to have a salad for lunch, now you're making me get a frigging steak!

Life is unfair. Cheesy

- NF

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2006, 12:14:37 PM »
Can't let that left-over NY strip go to waste, now can we?
Absotively not! For the record, my light lunch was gonna be a turkey sandwich because I over-indulged this weekend. But honor demanded that I not let meatout go unchallenged, and turkey is not the weapon of choice in situations like this.

Of course you dadgum pizza guys got me going too now. The little guy on my shoulder is telling me to stop for one of those on my way home from work, even though I pigged out on that on Saturday.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2006, 12:21:20 PM »
So if I see a group of PETA protestors, it's OK to take my meat out?  :evil:
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2006, 12:25:02 PM »
Got a lasic followup tonight in the big city, and theres an excelent steakhouse there... me thinks big , medium rare hunk of COW!

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2006, 12:50:15 PM »
I had Sesame chicken for lunch, and I just made spaghetti for dinner, extra meat.  I think I'll wash it down with a can of beef gravy.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2006, 12:57:44 PM »
If last season's venison wasn't all frozen, I'd change my plans, just for spite.

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2006, 01:02:46 PM »
To fast-thaw the venison, put it in a new ziploc bag (or at least one without any holes) and immerse in warm water, with the seal sticking out of the water. A large mixing bowl is ideal. Change water as needed to keep it warm.

Thaws a one-pound London broil, burger, chicken, etc. in 15-30 minutes. I don't see why it wouldn't work for venison too.

Once it's thawed, cook immediately so nothing nasty grows.

- NF

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2006, 01:23:43 PM »
NEVER defrost meat in warm water!

NEVER!

You're creating a petri dish for all sorts of surface bacteria.

Wrap it in plastic wrap, put it in the sink, and let COLD water wash over it from the faucet.

Believe it or not, running cold water will do a much better job of defrosting the venison quickly than will a warm water bath.

But, I'll say it again, NEVER defrost meat in warm water!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2006, 02:01:21 PM »
Hell if I knew this was meatout day I'da pack up and went over to Cold Bay to caribou hunt a couple of days.

I also went to their website. I think I solved the problem as to why Bill Mahr and other celebities seem to be such idiots............Poor Nutrition keeping their brains from operating at capacity.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Mongo

• http://mongomutter.blogspot.com/
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2006, 02:46:03 PM »
Ahh heck...

I would have a big steak, but when I got home the Girl Scout cookies had arrived!!!!

Thin mints to you all!

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2006, 04:03:58 PM »
Mesophiles have a doubling time that, at the short end (~ 20 minutes), just about equals the time the meat needs to thaw.* As long as you cool it or cook it immediately afterward, there's little added risk, assuming that the meat was fit to be eaten to begin with. (I'd even contend that it's less risky than thawing meat in room-temperature air, because the latter takes longer and might give a colony on the warmest corners more time to grow.)

At the long end of doubling time (~ 2 days), there's even less reason for concern.

All I can say is that I've done it for years and never had a problem.

- NF

* Clostridium botulinum is about 1 hour.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2006, 06:54:10 PM »
ya know, last Monday night i was chowing on a lovely steak at Ruth Chris in NYC

gotta love ye olde expense account, especially when another department is picking up the tab

Wink
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2006, 07:20:20 PM »
I consumed nearly half my own weight in deer jerky tonight.

Gonna go lie down for awhile.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2006, 07:54:23 PM »
"Clostridium botulinum"

Has absolutely no bearing on the equasion at all.

Botulism bacterium are anerobic. They won't propagate on the surface of meat.

It's a non-entity in this scenario.

Camplyobacter and salmonella, however, are.

From the US Dept. of Agriculture

"Safe Defrosting

There are three safe ways to defrost beef: in the refrigerator, in cold water, and in the microwave. Never defrost on the counter or in other locations.

Refrigerator:. It's best to plan ahead for slow, safe thawing in the refrigerator. Ground beef, stew meat, and steaks may defrost within a day. Bone-in parts and whole roasts may take 2 days or longer. Once the raw beef defrosts, it will be safe in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days before cooking. During this time, if you decide not to use the beef, you can safely refreeze it without cooking it first.

Cold Water:. To defrost beef in cold water, do not remove packaging. Be sure the package is airtight or put it into a leakproof bag. Submerge the beef in cold water, changing the water every 30 minutes so that it continues to thaw. Small packages of beef may defrost in an hour or less; a 3- to 4-pound roast may take 2 to 3 hours.
Microwave:. When microwave defrosting beef, plan to cook it immediately after thawing because some areas of the food may become warm and begin to cook during microwaving. Holding partially-cooked food is not recommended because any bacteria present wouldn't have been destroyed.

Foods defrosted in the microwave or by the cold water method should be cooked before refreezing because they may have been held at temperatures above 40 °F.

It is safe to cook frozen beef in the oven, on the stove, or grill without defrosting it first; the cooking time may be about 50% longer. Do not cook frozen beef in a slow cooker."

The guidelines for poultry are identical.

From Cook's Thesaurus: " Warm water method:  Immerse the frozen food in warm water or run warm water over it.  This is a good way to thaw frozen juice cans, but dont thaw meat or fish this way."

From the Wisconsin Beef Council

"Never defrost meat, poultry or fish on the kitchen counter or in warm water. Bacteria multiply rapidly at temperatures 40° - 140°F."

From Hormel Foods

"Do not use warm or hot water, even though it will thaw the pork faster because it will also encourage the growth of bacteria."

National Center for Home Food Preservation

"Never thaw food at room temperature or in warm water. Even though the center of a package may still be frozen as it thaws on the counter or in the warm water, the outer layer of the food is in the "Danger Zone," between 40 and 140°F. These are temperatures where bacteria multiply rapidly."

A whole series of on-point references from the CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/search.do?action=search&queryText=defrost+meat

And so for and so on for over 350,000 similar hits on the web.

Today's cooking methods, in which rare and medium rare meats are ever more popular, are no guarantee of eradicating bacteria from meat once it has begun its turn to the dark side.

I'll say it again.

NEVER defrost meat in a warm water bath.

If YOU want to do it, be my guest. Just recognize that you're greatly increasing your liklihood of taking an extended porcelain vacation.