Author Topic: TiVo and DVR  (Read 1169 times)

EghtySx

TiVo and DVR
« on: March 20, 2006, 09:33:05 PM »
These "services" are the biggest rip off ever.  What a racket these people have going.  You buy equipment, then pay them every month to let you use it.  Where's the service?  The hardware you buy (hard drive, software, chips) does all the work.  What are they doing on a monthly basis?  Nothing at all.  Just "allowing" me to the equipment I bought.  I just don't get it at all.  All this time I've been paying without thinking I guess.  Well, now its making me mad and I'm cancelling.  "Service" like that I can do without.

mtnbkr

• friend
TiVo and DVR
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 01:42:38 AM »
There used to be a TIVO Basic that would give you most of the service without fees.  It seems to have vanished though.

Chris

TarpleyG

• friend
TiVo and DVR
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 04:34:08 AM »
The only thing you are paying for is the ability to download updates and schedules from Dave or TiVO...they do provide something but whether it is worth $5 a month is another debate.

On a similar note, if you want an HD DVR, you have to lease it from DirecTV for $499 (at least that is all I have found from my inital digging and seeing that on their site).  If I am leasing something, make it reasonable.

Greg

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
TiVo and DVR
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 04:36:57 AM »
Buy what equipment?  Our cable DVR is $5 more a month, including the HDTV, and records anything we want it to.  We didn't purchase any equipment, and the cable company sent a technician out to set up the new box.
As competition between the Cable/Tivo/dish people grows, I'd bet at least for cable & dish that it becomes a standard feature.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
TiVo and DVR
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 05:04:23 AM »
I almost bought a TIVO when I learned it would work with an antenna, but changed my mind when I realized I couldn't get one without a monthly fee.  I'll stick to $40 VCRs and $2 tapes.

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
TiVo and DVR
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 09:11:06 AM »
Quote from: Blackburn
You can build your own HTPC/tivo box and never pay a dime for it monthly!
Windows XP Media Center Edition does all of that.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

TarpleyG

• friend
TiVo and DVR
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 10:15:53 AM »
Windows XP Media Center Edition does all of that.

Charby
Yeah, but my Linux TiVO has never crashed in over 3 years...what about your Windoze XP box?  Linux does have its place you know...

Greg

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
TiVo and DVR
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 10:32:57 AM »
I haven't tried it yet, my old home computer is a P2 running XP Pro.  My new home computer is going to be a MAC.

Couple of my friends have Media Center and they love it. Just mentined it as a easy and "free" form of "TiVo"

I'm a IT guy and I use XP Pro all over the place at work and if one is dilligent with their OS and Software crashes are pretty nill. 99% of my crash problems are from people who don't do updates, open every stinkin attachement and download all the"cool" freeware they hear about.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
TiVo and DVR
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 11:23:57 AM »
eah, but my Linux TiVO has never crashed in over 3 years...what about your Windoze XP box?
Well, my XP "Tivo" has not had an OS crash since it went online in Aug. 2004.  The only buggy issue was the poor excuse for media software published by ATI.  Since dumping that late last year and going 3rd party for the video stuff, the only time the box goes down is the monthly shutdown/interior cleaning/reboot.

I chose the PC over a Tivo since a PC can also play games. Smiley
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.