Poll

How high?

High
11 (84.6%)
Low
2 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Reloading benches  (Read 4602 times)

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Reloading benches
« on: September 14, 2010, 11:38:27 PM »
As many of you may know that I building the man cave/gun room.
What do you guys prefer in the way of a bench for reloading?
I have had 2 different ones in the past, tall (counter height) that I could not put my legs under and tall that I could put my legs under.
Who is using high and who is using low? I building it from scratch so I would like to get it right.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Jim147

• friends
Re: Reloading benches
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 12:12:03 AM »
Both wasn't an answer?

I like to sit for my single stage. I'll stand to double check the powder.

I like to stand when I'm doing my pistol rounds. I can see in each case before the bullet goes on.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 12:20:32 AM »
I use high, and I sit on a stool if I want, otherwise it's the perfect height to work while standing.

If interested, I can get you the exact height in a metric other than low-high or high-high.  Perhaps Klingon kellicams.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 01:01:29 AM »
ultimate reloading bench accessory. some hospitals auction off there old equipment when the tax deprecation has ran out. ;)

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 01:55:36 AM »
I have my single stage mounted to a desk (low). My progressive is on a high work bench so I can stand and do the reloading. It allows me to see the powder charges without sitting/standing/sitting/standing...etc. I just stay standing.

bob

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 03:40:55 AM »
I got mine for free (long story), it's tall.  But that's okay, as I can stand when I feels the need to stand or use an old barchair (another not so-long story), when I wants to sit.  Plus lots of storage space underneath. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 02:47:22 PM »
I use a sturdy wooden sawhorse for my single-stage press, lubrisizer, and Dillon Super Swage.  It's normal sawhorse height; I dunno, about 28 or 29 inches I guess.  Works great and it's portable.

My progressive press is mounted to a steel table with boxes of bullets stacked along the back for weight.  It's 30" high, and I don't really like it.  I might move that press to a high workbench.
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 02:53:19 PM »
My bench is 32" off the ground and I sit on a lab stool.

I picked by bench and stool for $20 from a university surplus sale.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 03:09:00 PM »
At our last house I had my "bench" in the cold, damp, smelly basement. It was one of the original cabinets from the kitchen, and was pretty rickety. It worked, though.

Now, with no basement in this house, I can either put a bench in the garage and suffer the heat and cold, or put something nice in my office. I think I'm going to do the latter, and get a real piece of furniture so my wife doesn't rip my lips off. I'm thinking of getting this:

It's not huge, but there's more work space than I had before, and more storage space. It's also not made of scrap lumber, which will please my wife. ;)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 03:24:56 PM »
At our last house I had my "bench" in the cold, damp, smelly basement. It was one of the original cabinets from the kitchen, and was pretty rickety. It worked, though.

Now, with no basement in this house, I can either put a bench in the garage and suffer the heat and cold, or put something nice in my office. I think I'm going to do the latter, and get a real piece of furniture so my wife doesn't rip my lips off. I'm thinking of getting this:

http://www.officemax.com/catalog/images/397x353/21778747i_04.jpg

It's not huge, but there's more work space than I had before, and more storage space. It's also not made of scrap lumber, which will please my wife. ;)

Dick my reloading bench is a surplus table, looks a lot like this.

Uranus is a gas giant.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 03:25:15 PM »
Not a bad idea Monkeyleg, but make sure the table top onto which you mount your press is very securely attached the rest of the stuff. I ripped the half inch wood screws out of the mountings on my current semi-portable loading bench when I first started using my .50BMG press.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 03:35:56 PM »
Not a bad idea Monkeyleg, but make sure the table top onto which you mount your press is very securely attached the rest of the stuff. I ripped the half inch wood screws out of the mountings on my current semi-portable loading bench when I first started using my .50BMG press.

The table top is 1 5/8" wood. I don't like screwing things into wood when they need to be sturdy. I'll drill all the way through and use bolts, nuts and washers. I'll probably beef up the desk, too. I haven't seen it in person yet, though, to make sure it will handle abuse.

The computer table I'm working at right now would be perfect, but I can't find anything like it. I could dance on it (provided I could learn how to dance) and it wouldn't budge.

Charby, that looks serviceable. In the house we had prior to '92, I had a temporary setup that would clamp to the kitchen table. I had to set it up and take it down every time I wanted to reload.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 03:42:26 PM »
The table top is 1 5/8" wood. I don't like screwing things into wood when they need to be sturdy. I'll drill all the way through and use bolts, nuts and washers. I'll probably beef up the desk, too. I haven't seen it in person yet, though, to make sure it will handle abuse.

The computer table I'm working at right now would be perfect, but I can't find anything like it. I could dance on it (provided I could learn how to dance) and it wouldn't budge.

Charby, that looks serviceable. In the house we had prior to '92, I had a temporary setup that would clamp to the kitchen table. I had to set it up and take it down every time I wanted to reload.

The press was attached to plywood with machine bolts and washers. What I meant was that the use of the press ripped the table top from the table frame.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 04:01:26 PM »
The press was attached to plywood with machine bolts and washers. What I meant was that the use of the press ripped the table top from the table frame.
THAT's why I have several hundred pounds of bullet boxes on top of my bench, mostly stacked along the back.  (with my bench the top wouldn't come off but the whole thing could flip forward without a little help from gravity.)
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 04:56:08 PM »

I paid $15 for it and bolted my rock chucker to it with large fender washers because the top is make of particle board. 4000 reloads later and narry a problem with the integrity of the table top. Check to see if the local school or college does surplus sales.

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 05:16:02 PM »
What I meant was that the use of the press ripped the table top from the table frame.

Ah. Yes, I'm probably going to have to reinforce the attachment points of the top to the base.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 09:13:20 PM »
My reloading bench top is 45" off the floor. I sit on a bar stool and reload.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2010, 01:49:14 PM »
So it seems the consensus is high that way you could stand if you want. I was leaning towards that also.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods