Author Topic: Sex offenders banned from using social networks  (Read 2661 times)

zahc

• friend
Sex offenders banned from using social networks
« on: August 12, 2009, 04:42:20 PM »
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-quinn-internet-12-aug12,0,671658.story

This generation's witchhunt just isn't stopping. Not only do you have to register, have the whole neighborhood knowing where you live via an iPhone app, and probably never get a job again, now we see that you don't have freedom of speech either.

iPhone app website:
http://www.techchee.com/2009/04/15/staysafe-iphone-app-keeps-your-family-safe-from-sex-offenders/
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Sex offenders banned from using social networks
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 04:44:06 PM »
But zahc! Decisions have consequences! And the consequences of sending your picture to your classmate (or receiving one!) is clearly that you must be banned from Facebook, Twitter, and every similar site for LIFE!  And best yet, reduced to living under the bridge!

PURGE THE UNCLEAN!
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 04:46:15 PM »
This the least of the legal idiocy you'll find in Chicago and Illinois.

Reifen

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 04:54:46 PM »
Why not just keep them in prison forever at this rate?

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 05:31:43 PM »
This generation's witchhunt just isn't stopping. Not only do you have to register, have the whole neighborhood knowing where you live via an iPhone app, and probably never get a job again, now we see that you don't have freedom of speech either.

Wait until they start other 'undesirables' lists.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 05:54:12 PM »

yep.

two feet bad, four feet good..

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 09:58:35 PM »

They've already got the lists. They just don't have anywhere to put us yet.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Mike

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 01:19:44 AM »
They've already got the lists. They just don't have anywhere to put us yet.

I hear there's going to be openings down Cuba way soon. ;/

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 02:02:08 PM »
I could almost live with this if it was confined to pedophiles and maybe one or two other very serious crimes, but we all know the sex offender registry in many states includes a lot of other stuff that doesn't need to be there.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 10:05:00 PM »
I could almost live with this if it was confined to pedophiles and maybe one or two other very serious crimes, but we all know the sex offender registry in many states includes a lot of other stuff that doesn't need to be there.

I hate kid touchers with a burning passion.  But seriously, some stuff is going too far.  Honest, no kidding pedophiles should serve their time.  If they are still a risk, have them committed and sent to the Island.  If not, give them something.  Not saying we should do away with Megan's Law, lessen sentences, etc... I'm saying that there should be limits to how much you punish a person after they served their time. 

Lumping the BS cases in with the sick bastards is just plain wrong.  Serial rapists deserve what they get.  But a guy in his late teens with a 17 year old girlfriend?  That isn't right.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 10:43:42 PM »

Like urinating in public.  I know a cyclist that stopped on a mountain road to pee.  Hwy Patrol pulled up while he was doing it.  Arrested him.  He was charged with exposing himself and would have been put on the registry.  Took it to court, judge tossed it out and tore the DA a new one.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 01:12:11 AM »
I hate kid touchers with a burning passion.  But seriously, some stuff is going too far.  Honest, no kidding pedophiles should serve their time.  If they are still a risk, have them committed and sent to the Island.

Quite true.  I wish we'd keep these bastards locked up longer.

There's a known pedo in my in-law's family.  I looked him up and he's only got one conviction from back in 2003.  I don't know the details but it involved a child under 13.  I don't know how long he served but he was out of prison by 2006 when he became known to me and I met him in person.  These folks just need to be locked up longer than they currently are. 

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 08:23:47 AM »

Indeed.  I have long considered the war on pedophiles to be another .gov Trojan horse power grab. 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 12:46:07 PM »
Well, we all know that someone who is willing to rape a child would never make a fake gmail/myspace account.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 01:20:12 PM »
There is a former army sergeant who lives a few towns over from me, who got oral sex from a subordinate enlisted woman while they were both drunk (both over 21).  The combination of alcohol + sex is apparently a crime in the army, and so he was convicted of whatever that is called by the military.  NYS got a hold of that and he is now labeled a "sex offender" for doing what would have been completely legal if he hadn't been in the military.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2009, 04:25:14 PM »
Honestly, keeping true sexual predators off networking sites would be a great idea. Except for one major problem: HOW?

Ain't difficult to create fake accounts, pirate wifi, and so on. How the hell do you manage to actually keep someone restricted?

At a guess, this is going to turn into an attempt to grab authority over the Net. Wouldn't surprise me if that's the intent of this.
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)