Author Topic: Cheap, realistic-looking toy/airsoft guns?  (Read 2723 times)

zahc

• friend
Cheap, realistic-looking toy/airsoft guns?
« on: June 04, 2010, 11:50:34 PM »
Some people that I socially gather with from time to time are putting on a play/drama/theater production. They do this a few times a year, and usually the productions are pretty good. I didn't volunteer to help with the production so normally I wouldn't interfere, but I am informed by a cast member (secondhand) that they plan on using real guns in this production, as props. This is, of course, a shockingly bad idea at best, especially if (as appears to be the case) the guns are handled by the characters in the course of the play. If it were me I would say the proper way to handle a production with firearms is to use prop guns, and STILL have a dedicated prop person to oversee the props and make sure they are legit. As a daily exercise I regularly promise myself that I will no longer be surprised at people's stupidity, but I keep failing.

Obviously, using real guns breaks all rules of gun safety, is unprofessional, and a liability nightmare. What I want, before I confront them about it, is evidence that it is also unnecessary, since cheap, realistic toy and airsoft guns are available. Right? Where can one get really convincing airsoft/toy/prop guns, that aren't too expensive? I will buy them myself if I have to, to stop this madness. From what I understand they have one autoloader and one revolver. The play is set in the 1940s.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
Re: Cheap, realistic-looking toy/airsoft guns?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 12:34:36 AM »
Amazon will probably have what you need.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 06:25:25 AM »
If these thespians are associated with any of the national theatrical groups they will find that there are rather strict "rules" about prop firearms and the use of a dedicated weapons-prop master/armorer.  Any "accident" occurring via failure to abide by the "rules" could result in the loss of their ability to get licenses to put on performances of a large number of productions.  If they are semi-pro their national organization should be able to offer them technical advice on (relatively) short turn-around time.

Blow-back gas-operated airsoft are probably what you are loking for, but you will still have the issue of coordinating the gunshot report sound with the action on stage, and getting the sound system to make it a believable sound.  Think Three Stooges for when this does not happen.  With a good sound system they can get away with red/blue guns overpainted in the appropriate colors - most folks sitting in the front row are not going to be gunnies focused on the props to spot inaccuracies.  Heck, most theater-goers will not be concerned about the lack of smoke from the barrel.

You should have them check the local & state laws on concealed carry, as those do apply to theatrical productions as well as real life, even if they most likely will be applied only if there is a negligent discharge or injury caused by a discharge.

If the theatrical group is not willing to listen to any of this you need to decide how much you want to distance yourself from their foolishness as opposed to how much you want to interfere in order to assure safety.  It would be a shame for someone you know playing either the shooter or shootee were to emulate Bruce Lee's last moments because some jerk thought a real gun loaded with 'just blanks" would be safe.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 07:12:59 AM »
Two musicals my brother's high school put on many years ago come to mind.  In Annie Get Your Gun, they used lever-action BB guns (no BBs, of course) and the sound was... barely noticeable.  The other, Oklahoma, they used blank-firing guns (can't remember specifics), and the sound was painfully loud to just about everyone in the audience.  Both were performed in the same auditorium.

I, for one, vote for the gas blow-back idea combined with careful coordination with the sound guy.  You might even be able to get convincing, acceptable results even without "sound effects," which unless done right can easily disrupt the flow of the performance.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 09:37:35 AM »
if you have any friends in lay enforcement, a little talk about the charges if someone gets shot might set them straight. at the very least get them to remove the firing pins. for the sound effects maybe some poppers?
like this,
or this

these are high, any chance there's a rental place locally?

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 09:44:20 AM »
It's a shame that PFC (Plug Fire Cartridge) replica weapons are not so cheap, as they are a great compromise between weedy sounding airsoft stuff, and the very loud blank firers.

PFC model gun-M16A1
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 03:54:53 PM »
Just remember that if you take off/paint over the orange tip you commit a federal felony, as well as perhaps a local/state one.

Is there a way they will agree to just making a fist, pointing their finger, and saying "BANG!"?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 07:33:38 PM »
I'm not sure how legal pointing guns at each other (and probably unavoidably the audience) is in Texas, but my friend did point out that they might actually be committing a greater crime by painting over airsoft guns. Maybe I'm overreacting. They point the guns at each other, even at each others heads, but the only shot that is fired takes place offstage and the sound will be simulated. I just can't imagine them pointing guns all over the place during practices; my wife has a scene in this play. I was embarrassed to mention it before, but this is my church. It just seems like a publicity and liability nightmare.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 08:42:01 PM »
Just remember that if you take off/paint over the orange tip you commit a federal felony, as well as perhaps a local/state one.

Is there a way they will agree to just making a fist, pointing their finger, and saying "BANG!"?

stay safe.

My understanding is that it's not illegal to paint/remove the orange tips on guns you own, but rather it's illegal to manufacture/import without red tips.  Once you buy it you can modify to your heart's content.

At least on the federal side.  There might be some states that require you to keep them.

ETA: Oh, and at least here, the Flea Markets are a great place to pick up cheap airsoft. there's always three or four stands with a bunch, and prices right about 50% of store retail.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 08:56:45 PM »
I have three stunningly real-looking, spring action airsoft 1911s that all sell for under $20. I also have an inexpensive airsoft revolver that looks a lot like either a Colt Detective Special or maybe a Police Positive. Definitely realistic enough to be used as a stage prop and, again, I'm sure I didn't pay more than $20 for it.

Airsplat, Airsoft Extreme ... even Wal-Mart should be able to take care of their needs.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 12:02:47 AM »
When my theatre company in college did this play:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Country%27s_Good

The script called for a character hunting.  He waited for me to slam a 2x4 into a piece of metal ductwork back stage, then simulated recoil.  It worked very well, and was loud as hell.  The audience always jumped out of their seats.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 12:27:25 AM »
When my theatre company in college did this play:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Country%27s_Good

The script called for a character hunting.  He waited for me to slam a 2x4 into a piece of metal ductwork back stage, then simulated recoil.  It worked very well, and was loud as hell.  The audience always jumped out of their seats.
Well if you want to get that realistic:  http://www.modelguns-worldwide.com/
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.