Author Topic: Directory or file cannot be created?  (Read 926 times)

zahc

• friend
Directory or file cannot be created?
« on: March 09, 2006, 01:51:42 PM »
What does it mean when you go to install a program and it says

'setup was unable to create the directory C:\\<>.tmp.

Error 82: The Directory of file cannot be created.'?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Preacherman

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 03:21:30 PM »
Usually, it means that you're not logged in as an administrator, so that the install process doesn't have the "privileges" needed to create a new sub-directory.  Many users on computers (at home or at work) lack this.  You need to be logged in as an administrator to do it.

It can also be a problem created by some security software, which won't allow programs accessing another computer (e.g. over the Web) to simultaneously modify storage, etc. on the source computer, for fear of virus infection, trojan horse installation, etc.
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 03:45:40 PM »
Well I'm logged in as an administrator (XP pro), I disabled my firewall and antivirus programs, and it's still doing it.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 06:15:57 PM »
are you using "illegal" characters in the name?
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 06:16:50 PM »
What software zahc? Have you checked their website to see if there is a bug in the program? Try a google search on the name of your software and the error you are getting. If others have had a similar problem, they may have posted a fix on a forum somewhere.