Author Topic: HFT  (Read 1210 times)

zahc

• friend
HFT
« on: December 10, 2010, 10:08:55 PM »
High Frequency Trading. You know, computer trading, with millisecond precision.

Parasitic pox on the free market, or God Bless America? Should it be regulated or banned? Is it a positive or negative thing? I honestly don't know. What do you think? Part of my instinct is just to leave it alone and it will wash out in the end, but when the stock market takes giant dips like it has done, then I have to think a bit harder. Is it just growing pains, or is it just the beginning and getting worse?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: HFT
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 10:56:34 PM »
High Frequency Trading. You know, computer trading, with millisecond precision.

<thread drift>A major plot element in the classic SF novel Norstrilia.</thread drift>
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 12:49:11 PM »
How is it different from previous-age speculations, except for being faster?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 01:01:42 PM »
Because those that have access to better computer equipment have an advantage over those that do not. The computer-trading world is rife with double standards and special privileges that persist, unsurprisingly, because people are generally ignorant of computers. Effectively, they are insider trading.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 01:09:39 PM »
Effectively, they are insider trading.

Umm... what?

They are not acting on knowledge that the public cannot know. They are just acting faster than others. You think it's not fair that they can react faster so you want to choose who wins and loses in these instances?

Also, it's not like they are not subject to risk. Just cause you buy or sell the stock faster doesn't mean you don't lose. It's still gambling.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 01:14:13 PM »
How is it unfair?

If you don't have a skill other's have, which is relevant to your moneymaking pursuit, how is it unfair more skilled people make more money?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

BMacklem

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 03:06:40 PM »
I have pleanty of computer knowledge, and a number of fast (er) machines....so how do I go about getting involved in that stuff?
Or are you talking about forex trading with a bot?