Author Topic: Anyone know anything about Linux?  (Read 2566 times)

zahc

• friend
Anyone know anything about Linux?
« on: March 20, 2006, 06:08:14 PM »
I'm attempting to install Suse 10. This is the first time I've tried to use Linux, but I was assured install would be really easy, like windows.

Hardware:
DFI RS482 board Link for your convenience
Virgin WD HDD
1GB ram
NEC DVD
ancient compaq CRT monitor.

I bought the commercial distro. I have not yet resorted to installing XP. But I might, because I understand if you want to dual boot, it's best to install XP first.

I have tried 32 bit option, 64 bit option, acpi off, safe settings, changing screen resolution, the DVD included, and CD1 included.

Right after it loads the linux kernal the screen blinks off. About half a dozen times now. It doesn't even get to the date options or anything.

I did pop my XP disc in, it worked fine until the point where you enter your product key at least, which I hope rules out a problem with the monitor. I'm a complete linux newbie. Should I just give up?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 06:25:41 PM »
At a guess, your board may be too new for your distro (I'm not really familiar with Suse). Have you checked for updates on a Suse site?

A good experiment might be to beg or borrow any old graphics card and plug it into the MB and see if Suse picks that up.

Regardless of the above, if you want to dual boot, definitely install Windoze first.

Oh yeah, one thing I had happen to me before on a Windows machine: Upgraded to a high grade NVIDIA card, but was setting things up with an old spare monitor that was lying around the office. Kept getting a blank monitor screen. For kicks I plugged in another machine's newer LCD monitor and got an image toothsweet ( I don't really know what the hell that means, but always wanted to use it in a sentence). So I guess maybe try another monitor too. Windows starts setup at a pretty low rez, but I don't know if Linux does the same.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 08:38:33 PM »
Might be your video card is not fully supported or you're trying to drive Xwindow at a rate the graphics adapter doesn't like. Happens to me a lot when I'm not paying attention when I'm loading a new distro for the first time. I like really,really tight displays...like 1600x1200 or so. Doubel check your refresh rate, like 60 Hz and keep the resolution on a reasonable rate, like 1024x768. You might even scrounge around for an older graphics card in your parts bin (you DO have old parts laying around, right?) and try that, as lots of distros, even commercial distros- don't always ship with bleeding-edge drivers.

You might also do the install in command line mode, then set up Xwindow.  

Suse 10 is nice. Been playing with it a few months now, but I'm currently playing with Mandriva to see how I like it.  Suse will probably win out for me, as IBM likes it.  Most of the newish distros are actually getting very easy to install. Suse was one of the easiest, but I didn't think I had a whole lot of say-so on what I loaded on my first pass. Mandriva was just as easy. Pick up a copy of Linux Format at B&N as they always have the latest new distro  'free' in the DVD pack.

Regards,
Rabbit.

I work with AIX daily. It's what I do.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 05:43:39 AM »
I don't usually do this, but I'm going to post in this thread so I can come back to it.  I'm very interested in installing Linux (when I can find a computer to put it on) so I want to follow this.  Don't mind me.  *sits down quietly*

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 03:32:27 PM »
...and got an image toothsweet ( I don't really know what the hell that means, but always wanted to use it in a sentence).
Not the worst mock-French I've ever encountered.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 03:54:58 PM »
What kind of video/graphics card are you using, or is it off your board direct?

I recommend checking the SuSE website to see if your card/board is supported, as well as the manufacturer's website for your card/board.  Downloading the latest drivers is always helpful too.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 04:47:34 PM »
I googled his board when I replied -- looks like a fairly new model with onboard video, which is why my first thought was compatibility / drivers and trying to plug in an older graphics card. Though I'm actually not sure if all Linux flavors overide to a separate graphics card on install when an onboard is present -- never tried it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 04:51:54 PM »
Not the worst mock-French I've ever encountered.
Gaaahhh. Who knew I was French? I tried looking it up -- it wasn't in any dictionary that I found (though I know the gist of what it means, just not origin).

zahc

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 05:44:20 PM »
I have an old Geforce 4mx coming in the mail, when I get it I'll try it. Right now I'm running XP and doing fine.

Actually, when I went to format my HDD in XP pro, it didn't detect all of it. It's a 320GiB HDD but Windows only said it was 120something GiB. I've heard this is fixable, but does anyone know how?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 05:46:01 PM »
"Tout de suite," which I believe is generally prounced "toot sweet," means "immediately."
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 05:49:21 PM »
Thanks for the Tout de suite reply Standing Wolf.  Smiley

Sorry for the thread drift guys. Now, is it prounced Linux or Linux? Tongue

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2006, 07:44:56 PM »
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2006, 03:43:14 AM »
Smiley

Funny how common usage can overtake correct usage, isn't it? I read Linus' admonishment years ago and still pronounce it "lynux" out of force of habit. Then there's that whole pseudo-pedantic "lineux" camp..... Tongue

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2006, 05:26:14 AM »
(Disclaimer: I haven't done anything with Suse for years, and can only offer general Linux advice.)  

Graphical installer?  See if there's an option to do a text mode install, and try to figure out X later.

Will Knoppix boot to a graphical desktop?   http://Http://www.knoppix.org .   That's a good test of hardware compatiblity.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

client32

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2006, 08:26:56 AM »
my disclaimer: I may have skimmed over someone else with the same advise.

Try a text or command lineinstall, like mentioned above.  I don't know about Suse, but redhat, just type text at the prompt.

::::EDIT::::
After typing this, I remembered where I had this problem.  It was when I was going through a KVM switch.  
So, this probably won't concern you.

Now back my original post
::::END EDIT::::

Also, I have had this issue before:  The install CD correctly  determined my video card,  but not my montior.  It then set the resolution higher than the monitor would handle.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2006, 12:27:55 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux#Pronunciation
http://www.safalra.com/science/linguistics/linux.html

Lih'nux (short i) is least likely to annoy anyone, at least if you're in the U.S.

"lineux"
How do you pronounce *that*?  Lie-noe?  Lih-noe?  Smiley
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)