Author Topic: Is galvanized metal bad for you?  (Read 7193 times)

zahc

• friend
Is galvanized metal bad for you?
« on: August 08, 2011, 03:03:57 PM »
How bad does galvanized metal kill you if you use it to prepare food?

I was brewing beer outside, using my turkey fryer for the first time last weekend and I needed a container to hold some hot (170F) water in. I have a galvanized ice bucket like this:

http://www.manufacturer.com/cimages/product/www.alibaba.com/0331/l/11066606_Galvanized_Ice_Bucket.jpg

Which is the perfect size for what I needed, so I put a couple gallons of water in it and heated it to 78C/170F on my propane burner. I used the water as sparge water for my beer, but then later, I realized that galvanized metal is probably not food grade. But then, the water wasn’t in there but maybe 10 minutes and it didn’t get very hot (the ‘made-in-china’ sticker on the bottom wasn’t even burnt off from the propane flames). Plus, we use galvanized metal for livestock troughs all the time and they don’t die too bad. Should I dump out my beer just to be safe? Is it safe enough to use this in the future because, really, it’s the perfect container for this application.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Is galvanized metal bad for you?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 03:06:20 PM »
Which is the perfect size for what I needed, so I put a couple gallons of water in it and heated it to 78C/170F on my propane burner. I used the water as sparge water for my beer, but then later, I realized that galvanized metal is probably not food grade. But then, the water wasn’t in there but maybe 10 minutes and it didn’t get very hot (the ‘made-in-china’ sticker on the bottom wasn’t even burnt off from the propane flames). Plus, we use galvanized metal for livestock troughs all the time and they don’t die too bad. Should I dump out my beer just to be safe? Is it safe enough to use this in the future because, really, it’s the perfect container for this application.

With water inside, it's not going to get hot enough to do anything with the zinc, but I'd still watch the Goodwill stores and garage sales for something stainless.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 03:07:07 PM »
http://www.finishing.com/466/34.shtml

It supposedly can leak zinc.

I don't know myself other than when welding galvanized metal you have to be extra careful about ventilation/breathing mask.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 03:39:55 PM »
It amazes me how frequently men come up with new and creative ways to demolish themselves, yet it never seems to work.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. As you were.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 03:44:51 PM »
I used to weld galvanized metal, but I didn't inhale.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

PTK

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 05:05:50 PM »
Find a restaurant supply store. What you need will be there, and will be quite cheap - I've found stainless 3qt mixing bowls for $4, for example, when Target, WalMart, and similar have the same item (of lesser quality) for $30.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

zahc

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 05:15:58 PM »
The big thing is I need it to be fairly large diameter, which is why the ice bucket works so well. I could almost use one of those trays for under a hot water heater, if they were deeper. Of course if I didn't want to be able to heat the water in it, a rubbermaid tub with the rope handles would be good.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 05:18:54 PM »
I welded on a galvanized tank until I was sick once. I was outside but I should have had a mask too.

A couple of places to check for pots http://www.basequipment.com/ and I can't find the other link right now.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 05:47:08 PM »
I welded on a galvanized tank until I was sick once. I was outside but I should have had a mask too.

A couple of places to check for pots http://www.basequipment.com/ and I can't find the other link right now.

jim

Zinc fever.  Did that once.  Back when I was young[er] and dumb[er].  I wear protective gear now, and use fans, etc.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 06:41:14 PM »
Well, as my plumber put it the other day, "you get all your daily minerals in every glass full." 
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 08:44:29 PM »
I have seen galvanized water coolers with labels warning to use them for water only and specifically against acidic drinks. 

If you have access to an oriental grocery, they often have large stainless steel cook pots at low prices.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 08:52:05 PM »
It amazes me how frequently men come up with new and creative ways to demolish themselves, yet it never seems to work.

We're trying to keep up with all the women out there who say things like, "But he won't hit me again, and besides, I love him." And, "Sure, I'll have a few drinks with you, stranger. What's the worst that could happen?" And so on.  :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 05:09:43 PM »
something like this?, but this one is probably to big.  :laugh:

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 08:30:33 AM »
something like this?, but this one is probably to big.  :laugh:

Oh, sure.  In an attempt to avoid zinc poisoning you suggest he get Alzeimer's?  http://www.alz.org/alzheimers_disease_myths_about_alzheimers.asp

Well, at least he won't be aware of the damage he did following your suggestion.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 11:20:37 AM »
Galvanized containers can also release lead and my personal favorite, cadmium.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2011, 05:07:08 PM »
SAM's club has a ton of stainless supplies
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2011, 06:03:35 PM »
yellowbook.com

search: restaurant supply

Find one and wander around. You will find something that suits your needs at a next to nothing price. There is usually at least one or two in any reasonably sized town.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2011, 11:05:21 PM »
I prefer to burn CFC's these days over galvanized, seems to hit the lungs much quicker.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG