Author Topic: Invest or pay down mortgage?  (Read 5752 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Invest or pay down mortgage?
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2011, 11:23:13 AM »
Unless the mortgage is at an abnormally high interest rate, it is the last debt I pay off.  That pretty much fits with the Dave Ramsey approach.  I can hear the crunch of credit cards as they are being cut or otherwise decimated.  The Ramesy yell... I'M FREE-EEE.  Wish I was.  The mortgage is usually one of the larger debts and financed at a much more competitive interest rate.  From experience, the 6-month emergency fund is critical to peace of mind, a more stable marriage and home situation.

Reducing the principal to remove the PMI insurance was a most excellent choice!

A Roth IRA can serve double-duty as an emergency fund and a retirement account, because there is no penalty for withdrawing your principal.  However, if you try to put the money back you'll run into the $5000 or $6000 per year limit on contributions.

My main metric for money management is Cash Flow.  It needs to be positive (just a little bit positive is OK) every month.  If it goes negative because of an unforeseen big expense, was that expense *really* unforeseen or was it something I was ignoring and I should have been saving towards it.

I've been living below my means for a long time; about 10% or 15% after taxes goes to charity and almost all the surplus after meager living expenses goes to savings or investments.  (consequently my daughter's college is eating me alive and all that financial aid they promised her never appeared)  Anyway, if I lose my job, I don't *have* to give that money to charity or save or invest anymore -- so the money I need to draw from my savings to maintain my current standard of living is very low.  It's taken a long time to get here but I don't have any debt.  That's not true; except for a 2.9% car loan that'll be paid off in about 3 months.  (I could have paid cash for it, but that interest rate was too good and I'd rather had the cash in the bank)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 04:46:24 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

zahc

• friend
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2011, 05:32:07 PM »
I should have mentioned I have no other debt besides the house. The cars are paid off and I gave up on expensive toys when I got married. We purchase everything through a credit card for the cash-back benefits but pay it off every month.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2011, 07:34:11 PM »
I gave up on expensive toys when I got married.

That happens  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2011, 09:27:09 AM »
I should have mentioned I have no other debt besides the house. The cars are paid off and I gave up on expensive toys when I got married. We purchase everything through a credit card for the cash-back benefits but pay it off every month.

Then make sure you have an emergency fund with 3-6 months (or more if you wish) of expenses and that you're investing 15% (or more if you wish) of gross income for retirement.  If you have both of those taken care of and still have enough left to pay extra on the house (while also having some fun) then go for it. 

But you don't want to just invest, or just pay extra on the mortgage.  Think of it as diversifying your portfolio.  You wouldn't put all of your money into one single stock.  So why put all of your disposable income into one category?

I remember from when I took (and lead) Dave Ramsey's FPU class that he'd counseled some people with a paid for house, but next to nothing saved for retirement because they had focused too much on paying off the house.  Taking a few extra years to pay off the house to ensure a reasonably retirement savings is a good thing.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2011, 06:21:58 PM »

Having already hit that point myself, I can only tell you the choice I made: pay down that mortgage.  
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln