Author Topic: Miata?  (Read 10795 times)

birdman

• friend
Re: Miata?
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2013, 06:51:28 PM »
http://www.mallettcars.com/solstice-conversion.htm

I know, that's the one I was referring to, I saw its debut at SEMA a while back :)

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2013, 06:54:21 PM »
1) Some of the 215's were around 200HP; the Olds was 215HP and 300 lb·ft of torque.
2) I didn't think the LS engine would fit, because the 215 is probably pushing it. (I haven't been paying attention)  :P

I actually REALLY want to build a LS2 240Z.  Just don't have the time space or money.  That LS2 Miata caught my eye.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2013, 04:27:14 AM »
F, now I want one of those old man 2nd midlife crisis rollerskates. I'm dying to turbo a 6cyl Subaru and put it in something off the wall. Guy I know put a normally aspirated but tweaked one into a VW Vanagon, made it rather retarded. In a good way of course.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2013, 12:28:09 PM »
I have a '94 Cadillac DeVille that I can't give away; it has a 4.9L engine that runs good and no leaks.  I wonder if that would fit in a small RWD, like a Fiat or MG or Opel GT?  It gets relatively good fuel economy (mid-20's on the highway) in that big ol' heavy Cadillac.
"It's good, though..."

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Re: Re: Re: Miata?
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2013, 02:34:15 PM »
I have a '94 Cadillac DeVille that I can't give away; it has a 4.9L engine that runs good and no leaks.  I wonder if that would fit in a small RWD, like a Fiat or MG or Opel GT?  It gets relatively good fuel economy (mid-20's on the highway) in that big ol' heavy Cadillac.

I hate to be racist, but are there no black people living near you? And because i cant help myself, what kind of shape is it in otherwise?
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2013, 02:51:28 PM »
I hate to be racist, but are there no black people living near you? And because i cant help myself, what kind of shape is it in otherwise?

There are no blacks here except for a few doctors, and the Somali refugees on the other side of town.

No dents, no rust.  A/C works.  New transmission about 50000 ago.  The leather interior is in decent shape.  Now the bad news: 235000 miles, the driver's window rolls down but not up, the clearcoat finish is peeling off and looks like crap, and the brakes have gone out completely (I *think* it just needs both front brake lines replaced, and those are pretty cheap.)  And the battery is toast from being just parked for a year and I didn't start it often enough.
"It's good, though..."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2013, 04:22:50 PM »

Jocassee wants a donk!

What candy bar wrapper are you going to have it painted as?
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2013, 04:30:09 PM »
Jocassee wants a donk!

What candy bar wrapper are you going to have it painted as?

I was thinking about giving it the general lee paint scheme, just to shake things up in the hood.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2013, 04:53:23 PM »
I was thinking about giving it the general lee paint scheme, just to shake things up in the hood.

Aiming to get shot at, I see
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2013, 05:29:15 PM »
I don't trust any vehicle on the road that will fit into the back of mine.
I actually measured a smart one day and it would fit. The Miatta would be a tight squeeze.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2013, 05:37:29 PM »
There are no blacks here except for a few doctors, and the Somali refugees on the other side of town.

No dents, no rust.  A/C works.  New transmission about 50000 ago.  The leather interior is in decent shape.  Now the bad news: 235000 miles, the driver's window rolls down but not up, the clearcoat finish is peeling off and looks like crap, and the brakes have gone out completely (I *think* it just needs both front brake lines replaced, and those are pretty cheap.)  And the battery is toast from being just parked for a year and I didn't start it often enough.

Bring it to Chicago.  You'll be on a train back to MN before the sun sets (and with a big wad of cash.)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2013, 05:50:45 PM »
Aiming to get shot at, I see
gun shot wounds are the spice of life

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2013, 10:24:29 PM »
My wife's car is an '07 w/6 speed and retractable hard top.  A pure pleasure to drive.  Did I mention just shy of 30mpg?
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2013, 11:24:34 PM »
"It's good, though..."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2013, 11:21:43 AM »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

zahc

• friend
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2013, 12:03:16 PM »
I ended up getting a slightly newer 99 model instead of the pre-1996 i was originally looking at. I had thought pre-96 cars were exempt from emissions because they have no OBDII, and when i get my OBD cars inspected they just use the OBD system as an emissions proxy. However, apparently for pre-OBD cars they actually do a tailpipe test which squashes my thoughts of a cat-free exhaust system with no expensive evaporative emissions repairs.

For someone of my stature it really is comically small, but i commute 7 miles so i don't mind.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

brimic

• friends
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2013, 12:42:21 PM »

Lolz. I've had more than a few people pull up along side me and ask me if I want to sell my old pontiac while driving through da hood. :rofl:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2013, 03:00:56 PM »
I ended up getting a slightly newer 99 model instead of the pre-1996 i was originally looking at. I had thought pre-96 cars were exempt from emissions because they have no OBDII, and when i get my OBD cars inspected they just use the OBD system as an emissions proxy. However, apparently for pre-OBD cars they actually do a tailpipe test which squashes my thoughts of a cat-free exhaust system with no expensive evaporative emissions repairs.

For someone of my stature it really is comically small, but i commute 7 miles so i don't mind.

FWIW, among my roadracing buddies, we pull cat's all the time. (race cars)

These wired into the downstream cat will turn off MIL, bypass the emissions crap, and let the computer control the mixture properly without a cat.

This is, of course, illegal for a road car, but it's handy if you race.  You can also put one in the wiring harness, and have a straight pipe that you swap the cat out for on track day. just don't drive it without cats.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2013, 03:17:12 PM »
So, I thought the engine computer used the oxygen sensors in 'closed-loop' mode to adjust the mixture. If you fake out the O2 sensor, I'm surprised the car even runs?

Is the post-cat O2 sensor just to test if the cat is working, and the pre-cat sensor is the one used for engine control? In that case, I can see hard-wiring the post-cat O2 sensor working, since it's just a cat health indicator.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2013, 03:18:20 PM »
Is the post-cat O2 sensor just to test if the cat is working, and the pre-cat sensor is the one used for engine control?

Correct.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2013, 03:20:15 PM »
Yep. Downstream O2(s) is emission diagnostic only.  All engine control is done by the upstream 02(s).  (OBDII)

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2013, 07:00:46 PM »
Removing the cat (on a streetable performance car) is a holdover from a bygone decade, when the thing actually caused excessive back pressure. Modern OEM cats flow pretty good, and the aftermarket performance cats are going to flow pretty close to having none at all.
Now if you are running some highly competitive series with a dedicated car, like spec miata, where the extra 1hp is worth having, then by all means...
http://youtu.be/yubpZk9cIFo?t=46s

But for the vast majority of us, there is almost no performance difference, and a cat makes a big difference to the poisonous fumes expelled from the engine, even a high flow performance model.

I run a high flow cat on my aftermarket exhaust (everything from turbine outlet to muffler inlet was replaced with larger piping). The new system flows so well that the stock wastegate can't hold OEM pressure target (7.5psig), now it runs consistently to 11-12psig at full throttle. Fortunately I have injectors and ecu mods to keep the afrs in line. I could have gone to an even larger exhaust with cat, but that would require taking the turbo off to port the wastegate as the boost creeps to dangerous levels with that system. Point is... the cat is not a limitation on flow.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2013, 08:13:49 PM »

I don't think that thing is drivable. There doesn't appear to be a drive shaft hooked up to the rear differential, and I can't see anything else that looks like it could provide power to the wheels.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2013, 09:30:06 PM »
I don't think that thing is drivable. There doesn't appear to be a drive shaft hooked up to the rear differential, and I can't see anything else that looks like it could provide power to the wheels.

Psst...It's a marketing gimmick for the store.

Chris

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2013, 09:55:43 PM »
Psst...It's a marketing gimmick for the store.

Chris

It'd be more effective if it worked.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth