Author Topic: Light, powerful semi-auto rifles  (Read 9346 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Light, powerful semi-auto rifles
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2013, 10:07:55 AM »
If you want to drop the jack on one, but they are 10 pounds.
http://springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=29
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2013, 10:44:33 AM »
Or get a Larue PredatAR in .308, but you'll have to sell a kidney and sacrifice an armadillo to get one.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2013, 10:53:42 AM »
not many big game species need 20 rounds to stop.

My 308 Vepr is a reasonable weight
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2013, 11:11:16 AM »
The FN SCAR 17 is also 762NATO and ~8lbs in 16in barrell length. The 20in barrell version is ~8.5lb.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2013, 11:23:28 AM »
The FN SCAR 17 is also 762NATO and ~8lbs in 16in barrell length. The 20in barrell version is ~8.5lb.

Nobody ever developed a modern semi-auto 308-size gun.

What do you call the SCAR-H?

Not to mention the really nice LaRue PredatOBRs and such. (If I was going AR platform .308 LaRue is the only path I would take at this point). S&W M&P-10 is also fairly light.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2013, 12:35:42 PM »
If you talk real nice to Tony Rumore over at Tromix, he'll build you an AK in .444 Marlin from a Saiga .410 donor gun.

I found that much easier to accomplish than my early efforts to build one in .45-70.  

Be still my beating heart!  .45-70 seems the more natural conversion.  Why .444 marlin?

RE: 7-series Remington semi-auto rifles . . .

When I was a member of a large private gun club, I usually worked as a range safety officer during sight-in days before deer season when we opened to the public - during that time, I got to see a LOT of different guns come through the range.

Without a doubt, the most troublesome were Remington 7-series rifles - the percentage of "jammamatics" was into double digits, some with dangerous malfunctions. (How about a loaded round almost in the chamber, but with the bolt frozen so it would neither close nor retract?  :O )

Sure, most worked fine . . . but Remington must have produced a lot of Monday morning / Friday afternoon rifles to account for all the failures. One guy I talked to had one of these - he fixed it by coating all the interior surfaces with layout blue and finding where it was rubbing, and then carefully stoning & polishing those surfaces; he said it took a LOT of time, working by hand, to remove chatter and other tool marks.

On the other hand, Browning BARs always seemed to work OK, but then again I didn't see nearly as many.

My dad's .30-06 was reliable as the day was long.  Hard on brass, though.  He liked it most because it was easy for a lefty to use, relative to a righty bolt gun.  I am sorely temped to get a .35Whelen bbl for it and cut it to 16-18" inches or so.  I already put Williams aperture sights on it.  With the shorter bbl and in .35Whelen, it would be a mutha of a potent brush rifle.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2013, 01:35:58 PM »
Be still my beating heart!  .45-70 seems the more natural conversion.  Why .444 marlin?

Of the top of my head I'd bet .45-70 won't fit in a .410 mag.  The rim diameter is quite a bit larger.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2013, 06:17:46 PM »
.45-70 is too big in rim diameter for the .410 Saiga's boltface.

I'm not too certain that the .45-70 cartridge OAL fits well in Saiga .410 magazines, either.

Done right, say with 265gr LeverEvolution spire points, a .444 Marlin AK would be something to reckon with.

It would definitely meet Zahc's arbitraty 2000ft/lb energy floor.  (3180ft/lbs per Hornady)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 06:21:26 PM by Gewehr98 »
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2013, 06:20:24 PM »
.45-70 is too big in rim diameter for the .410 Saiga's boltface.

I'm not too certain that the .45-70 cartridge OAL fits well in Saiga .410 magazines, either.

Done right, say with 265 LeverEvolution spire points, a .444 Marlin AK would be something to reckon with.

It would definitely meet Zahc's arbitraty 2000ft/lb energy floor.  (3180ft/lbs per Hornady)

Being an owner of a 444 Marlin, you feel all those 3180ft pounds in the opposite direction. High muzzle energy in a lightweight rifle does not make for a lengthy enjoyable range experience. 
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2013, 07:08:43 PM »
My go-to rifle is now a bolt action.  It's light, handy, powerful, reliable, robust, accurate, and versatile.  It has excellent sights, trigger pull, and stock fit.  It's everything you could want in a rifle, except semi-auto.

Details?
It's a Winchester 70 Featherweight in 308.  I cut the barrel down to 20" and soldered on a front sight base.  I replaced the stock with a McMillan that fits me well, and added a 3rd sling stud for a ching sling.  It weighs 6.75 lbs bare, and about 7.5 lbs with scope, sling, and ammo.  That makes it lighter and handier than most AR15s after you add a loaded mag, scope, and the usual gewgaws.  And it's in 308, so it's more powerful and more versatile. 

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2013, 09:06:46 PM »
Being an owner of a 444 Marlin, you feel all those 3180ft pounds in the opposite direction. High muzzle energy in a lightweight rifle does not make for a lengthy enjoyable range experience.  

The Saiga's all share a common receiver and as many other parts as possible no matter the gauge. And whatever weight the conversion loses in the barrel change it probably gets right back in going to a rifle thickness over shotgun.

I can dump 10 magnum 12ga Brenneke Rottweils out of mine on the low-gas/high-brass setting and feel much less abused than any number of my other common rifle/caliber combos.

Granted, a 12ga 1oz hot-loaded slug is probably still 700 ft/lbs less than a .444 Marlin, but few of us would be dumping them as fast as we could for laughs, or at a bowling pin shoot.

But, I'd think .444 in a Saiga would be more comfortable than many common calibers in a bolt gun.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 09:15:15 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2013, 09:14:36 PM »
Details?
It's a Winchester 70 Featherweight in 308.  I cut the barrel down to 20" and soldered on a front sight base.  I replaced the stock with a McMillan that fits me well, and added a 3rd sling stud for a ching sling.  It weighs 6.75 lbs bare, and about 7.5 lbs with scope, sling, and ammo.  That makes it lighter and handier than most AR15s after you add a loaded mag, scope, and the usual gewgaws.  And it's in 308, so it's more powerful and more versatile. 

Like! I have something kinda not really like that. A .30-'06 in a VZ24 action, and just an aperture sight.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zahc

• friend
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2013, 09:29:05 PM »
Hornady is making ammo for the .450 Bushmaster, too - rifles for this round are available from (naturally) Bushmaster, the lightest weighing in at 8.1 lbs.   see  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC0f5wvgGew

I had no idea this round existed. I'm glad, this gets close. I would prefer a "real" rifle round with better long-range ballistics, but this really goes a way toward enabling a light semi-auto gun for larger game.
The RFB carbine is 8 pounds, and .308.  Mass is centered better, but you lose something in the trigger compared to an AR-10.  Does that work for you?

Wow; a very interesting rifle chambered in .308. As with most kel-tec long-guns, my first questions are "does it actually exist" and "how many children must I sell to get one".

The answer to your conundrum is this- the advantage of a semi is a quick follow up shot. The heavier the caliber, the more the recoil,and the less advantage a semi action has over a bolt gun, since the gun is off target long enough for a good rifle man to cycle the bolt
Capacity.

You want enough weight to make follow up shots easy, and the shooting experience pleasant.

No I don't. I want enough lack-of-weight to make lugging it up and down a mountain pleasant, and still fend off hoards of mutant hogs, even better if I can also use it as my primary elk-bear-whatever hunting rifle in the first place. Can get lots of 7-pound bolt actions; a semi-auto at the same weight wouldn't be any slower.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2013, 11:20:49 PM »
They make conversions for .308 bolt guns to take M1A or FAL mags if you're worried about weight. It seems like "long range elk hunting gun" and "needs high capacity" aren't really something you'd want in the same gun.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2013, 08:44:59 AM »
Details?

Got pics?  I'd like to see what the sight arrangement looks like.  I have a Featherweight 6.5x55 and sometimes wish it had iron sights.  What did you do for a rear sight?  How do you like the McMillan stock?  Is it the one that looks like the factory stock (shapewise)?  I still bemoan the fact that I didn't jump in on a group buy at 24hourcampfire years ago.  I could have gotten a McMillan FWT stock for less than $300. :(

My unloaded FWT with scope weighs in at 8lbs. 

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2013, 08:52:47 AM »
Some states have magazine capacity restrictions when hunting, check your game laws to make sure you can have more than five rounds in a magazine.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2013, 10:54:25 AM »
I really don't like a semi-auto for hunting non-dangerous game at all.

I would just as soon that my rifle is not "hot" after taking a shot, since likely there won't be a second shot, or if there is, it will be after some moments of evaluation.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2013, 10:01:57 PM »
Got pics?  I'd like to see what the sight arrangement looks like.  I have a Featherweight 6.5x55 and sometimes wish it had iron sights.  What did you do for a rear sight?  How do you like the McMillan stock?  Is it the one that looks like the factory stock (shapewise)?  I still bemoan the fact that I didn't jump in on a group buy at 24hourcampfire years ago.  I could have gotten a McMillan FWT stock for less than $300. :(

My unloaded FWT with scope weighs in at 8lbs.  

Chris
Rear sight is the XS Ghost Ring Backup.  The front is just a generic solder on ramp.  I'll try to get some pics later.

The stock is McMillan's Sako Hunter style.  It has a big Monte Carlo cheekpiece, almost too big, but I like getting my face down tight on the stock, so it works.  The factory Featherweight stock was too low for me.  It's a shame, because that walnut and ribbon checkering is awfully pretty.  
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 10:27:52 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2013, 02:26:27 AM »
There is also the Remington Model 8. You can get it in .25 Remington, .30 Remington, .32 Remington, and .35 Remington. There was even one that comes with a magazine. Also the Model 81 in .300 Savage.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic