Author Topic: life insurance  (Read 1678 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: life insurance
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2014, 05:37:17 AM »
I have a relatively small whole life policy my folks boughtbwhen i was a kid.  I keep that up to this day.  It will pay off the mortage if i croak.  If i do not croak early it will produce a decent lump sum on maturity.  Wbile life is a multifunction financial instrument.  Like any multifunction dealie it is a compromise and more costly. 

I also have serious term life via my employer.  Much larger. Get the kids throygh collge larger with cash to spare for my wife to use as she sees fit.  Also shirt term disabilty death and dismemberment.

Last i also have independent term life policy that expires when the kids get out ouf college.  It alone is enough to pay for their college.

What i do not have is long term disability coverage.  Need to get that covered.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2014, 12:22:30 AM »
What i do not have is long term disability coverage.  Need to get that covered.

Much greater chance of that then death.

How many people here can predict that they won't have need for Life Insurance in 10, 15, or 20 years?  Friend on mine just posted on FB that at 51 she's the oldest mom of her 4 year old daughter pre-school.   No chance of grandkids living with you ?  No chance of having kids (or more) later in life.  Worst thing that happens is that it grows to far beyond what you put into it, while providing life insurance.  Hell, if it were car insurance where you get all your money back if you don't have an accident, people would jump all over it.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2014, 12:51:34 AM »
How many people here can predict that they won't have need for Life Insurance in 10, 15, or 20 years?  Friend on mine just posted on FB that at 51 she's the oldest mom of her 4 year old daughter pre-school.   No chance of grandkids living with you ?  No chance of having kids (or more) later in life.  Worst thing that happens is that it grows to far beyond what you put into it, while providing life insurance.  
The idea that Brad put forward does essentially the same thing with fewer fees.  It assumes you will self-insure with the investment after the term policy expires.  It is also essentially what whole life companies do ... namely, take a chunk of your premium to cover a death policy and invest the rest.  Then, once they've made their money, they return a piece of that to you in inflated dollars.

Remember, they are making good money on the deal ... and can afford to pay big commissions on the whole life policies too.  You can't do the death insurance portion on your own, but you can certainly do the long-term investment side.

Hell, if it were car insurance where you get all your money back if you don't have an accident, people would jump all over it.
But what if it cost three or four times as much as comparable coverage and you only got it back if you stick with the company for decades?