Author Topic: Need a cheap car  (Read 3234 times)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Need a cheap car
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2020, 10:38:07 AM »
My advice is to look for a used Scion XD or XA. Toyota longevity/reliability in the engine/powertrain, but doesn't have the value holding ability that actual Toyota branded used Toyotas have. And because the brand is "dead" it is also taking a resale value hit. However it's all just Toyota parts of course.

I absolutely despise my 2008 XD because it's a "poor kids car" and has zero creature comforts and a few cosmetic things that are my fault, and it's got a lot of road noise. However, I love it in that it's never given me any trouble whatsoever beyond normal wear items like brakes and spark plugs.

And they're actually a teeny bit fun in manual too.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/d/everett-2006-scion-xa-base-4dr/7073478193.html
I promise not to duck.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2020, 12:26:11 PM »
Co-worker has a 2010 Subaru Forester.  80k miles, base model with heated seats and mirrors, sunroof but no nav or other fancy electronics.  Minor parking lot rash on drivers front quarter panel.  Tires aren't bald but close to needing replacement.  They were going to ask $8000 on Craigslist, expecting $7000-7500 actual sale price.

Good deal?  Anything from that vintage to be wary of?
Formerly sumpnz

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2020, 12:27:58 PM »
Co-worker has a 2010 Subaru Forester.  80k miles, base model with heated seats and mirrors, sunroof but no nav or other fancy electronics.  Minor parking lot rash on drivers front quarter panel.  Tires aren't bald but close to needing replacement.  They were going to ask $8000 on Craigslist, expecting $7000-7500 actual sale price.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Subaru/Forester/2010/
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2020, 08:34:48 PM »
I have one for sale but you will hate the mileage.but it is all hiway mile with synthetic oil changed on time .
2008 Saturn Aura with 325k on it run great has an emission light that pops up monthly.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2020, 08:06:55 AM »

Subarus are known to eat head gaskets.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2020, 08:13:15 AM »
"Subarus are known to eat head gaskets."

Not as much as they used to. The situation with the head gaskets started getting better in the mid 2000s.

One problem with the H-4 engine, though, is that some of them tend to use a lot of oil, as in a quart per 1,000 miles.

My 2012 had that issue, and my 2015 that I picked up yesterday is also in that band, but Subaru has extended coverage on those engines and will do a short block replacement to correct the issue if it's bad enough.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2020, 08:21:18 AM »
"Subarus are known to eat head gaskets."

Not as much as they used to. The situation with the head gaskets started getting better in the mid 2000s.

One problem with the H-4 engine, though, is that some of them tend to use a lot of oil, as in a quart per 1,000 miles.

My 2012 had that issue, and my 2015 that I picked up yesterday is also in that band, but Subaru has extended coverage on those engines and will do a short block replacement to correct the issue if it's bad enough.

My 2014 used about a quart every 5000 miles, its actually gotten better after around 50,000 miles.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2020, 08:34:49 AM »
Then you engine is in the "standard" range for most cars. You'd expect to see that kind of usage over about 5,000 miles, depending on the kind of driving. A quart every 1K miles? That's excessive and was apparently traced to a particular ring design used on some engines.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2020, 08:39:48 AM »
Then you engine is in the "standard" range for most cars. You'd expect to see that kind of usage over about 5,000 miles, depending on the kind of driving. A quart every 1K miles? That's excessive and was apparently traced to a particular ring design used on some engines.

I'm not sure if that's the case anymore. I had a 2000 Isuzu Trooper that ate a quart every 4K miles or so and it was apparently considered normal for that design. Neither my 2014 4Runner nor 2016 F150 go through oil in any measurable way (as in, visible enough on the dipstick to say, "I need to add oil") in the ~7500 miles between scheduled oil changes.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2020, 08:45:24 AM »
"Neither my 2014 4Runner nor 2016 F150 go through oil in any measurable way"

That's due to a neat design feature that, as the oil is burned through the cylinders, a balancing valve replaces it with coolant from the reservoir...

Wait... whut? That's not normal?

:rofl:

brimic

• friends
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2020, 10:52:05 AM »

Yes. I heard the 2013-2014 4cyl engines had problems with oil consumption, and noted a bit with mine, but never was concerned about it.
The last several cars I've owned consumed no oil over that many miles, but they were't boxer engines either.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama