Author Topic: The very strange case of Sgt. Bergdahl  (Read 711 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: The very strange case of Sgt. Bergdahl
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 05:36:43 PM »
He definitely had a screw loose. And I'll grant a grain of salt for his backwoods/hippy Alaskan/Idaho upbringing that might have left him somewhat handicapped in his ability to understand the norms of mainstream American life.

But I'm guessing the military standard for an insanity defense is similar to the civilian one. You don't merely have to be "crazy", but you have to be "so crazy you don't know what you're doing is wrong".

That he had to sneak out at night and not tell anyone what he was doing kind of confirms that.

I'll also note he's had YEARS to figure out his exact story that gave him the least amount of criminal culpability, if it's accepted at face-value under the UCMJ.
I promise not to duck.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 05:40:24 PM »
If they can't even get the fact that a 1SG would not be at the platoon level, I have to wonder what else they got wrong in that story.  Oh wait, it's NPR, so none of it other then the names are accurate.

Also commanders at every level have an Open Door policy.  All he had to do was ask to see the Company, Battalion, Brigade or Division commander and he would have been on the next chopper flight out. (and then the subsequent one back), or to see the IG.  Or write a farking letter to any of them or if you really want the *expletive deleted*it to hit the fan to you your congressman or senator.  IIRC, he also had e-mail/internet access to contact any one of those individuals.

And yes, the whys and hows of contacting the IG is a mandatory yearly training requirement.  

So his "I was going to the big FOB to tell on my leaders" is a giant, steaming crock of bull chips.

And yes, I'm sure he tried to escape twelve times.  Once he figured out he had phoucked up royally.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 06:05:32 PM »
Also commanders at every level have an Open Door policy.  All he had to do was ask to see the Company, Battalion, Brigade or Division commander

Had a buddy do that with a serious un-addressed situation and it actually worked.  Well, mostly. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 10:05:25 PM »
Isn't it about time he "self-identified," a la Bradley Manning?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 07:54:16 AM »
Had a buddy do that with a serious un-addressed situation and it actually worked.  Well, mostly. 

Didn't make me actually golden in Boot Camp but it put the brakes on - hard - concerning certain behaviors by the DIs.  They did try to single me out for retribution but the LT and CAPT were paranoid enough to keep an eye on them and remind them there was already enough documented to lose a stripe or two.

Now I never abused the situation  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: and did make it out without having to recycle.

But I knew the ropes going in.  If your beef is righteous it will be addressed.  Don't abuse the fact (too much) that you now have the ear of higher up the food chain.  It takes but one little screw-up to undo a mountain of atta-boys.

What I can't buy is that this PFC had serious concerns about leadership that were NOT being shared with anyone and everyone by whining and moaning.  Keeping to yourself the fear that your leaders are going to get you killed takes a lot of willpower.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 08:20:10 AM »
I would feel better about the claim if he hadn't shipped all his *expletive deleted*it home to mommy and daddy and his daddy hadn't pulled the I'm a Muslim act when sonny boy was released.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!